Positive buoyancy foy kayak

Discussion of safety equipment and use.

Positive buoyancy foy kayak

Postby AshG » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:46 am

Anyone use pool noodles as an added safety feature for their kayak?
I know some are designed with it built in, but my kayak is only a little 2.8m creek basher the same as the dream kayak style that every man and his dog has copied and now sells, but I have about 20kg of fixed added weight in the way of a deep cycle battery and motor. If the inevitable happened and the hull spilt from whatever reasons, shark bite, rock strike, ninja attack whatever, my deck isn't watertight, never will be, and it would fill with water.
Was thinking if I just work out the weight of everything on board including the weight of the kayak, then using barbell weights I have at home to the same weight that I work out my kayak is plus what it carries, then in the pool, just keep adding noodles till it floats the weights....? Seen afew posts floating around the Internet with calculations etc but without real world testing, you really don't know the actual amount of buoyancy of one noodle to the next... I estimate 50kg max is what I need to keep afloat, kayak 25kg, motor 6kg, battery 13kg with afew extra kgs spare...
Anyone else done something like this? I can't see many noodles being required as I weigh 78kgs and one noodle easily floats me in the pool, without testing I reckon maybe 3 or 4 is all it will take, I'll have a play in the pool later on with the kids and see what happens, interested to see if anyone else has done something like this?
AshG
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: SEQ
Kayaks: 2.8m terrapin with 30lb thrust motor

Re: Positive buoyancy foy kayak

Postby simons rat » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:11 am

I had the same thought as you with one of my kayaks which I use in estuaries and stuffed 6 pool noodles into the hull. Never sunk it to find out if it works or not ... just gives me some mental insurance.

Be interesting to see if anyone has any practical experience with this.

Cheers,

S
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A little something else ....

Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/BladeKayakTV
Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishfidler/sets/72157625258444623/
simons rat
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: brisbane

Postby gbc » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:32 am

I had a few (6) in the old scupper pro I used to use in the ocean. Cheap insurance. As for actually calculating how many, are required, I can't help, just applauding your logic.
gbc
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane or Hervey Bay

Postby Smylea » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:16 pm

Another option is to fill the hull with bean bag beads (will flow into all the nooks and crannies while providing positive flotation at minimal weight).

Ray
Smylea
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Newcastle/Lake Macquarie
Kayaks: Freak Assassin copy

Postby Plakkyboat » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:59 pm

Buy a couple of rubber bungs to suit a 10mm hole. (Super Cheap)

Drill a couple of 10mm holes into your hull (above the water line) in normally inaccessible areas of your hull.

Buy a can of spray foam (Bunnings) with a filler tube connected to the the spray can.

Insert the tube through the 10mm holes and fill the space as much as you practically can.

Insert the rubber bungs into the holes.

Voilà
Cheers -- Paul
My first true love was the Sea. After threescore spins around the Sun...she's still there...as my mistress — Plakkyboat Image
Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Burnett Coastal & Rivers
Kayaks: Wedded to "Glass" + a bit of "Plastic" on the side

Postby AshG » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:50 pm

Not gonna spray the hull with expanding foam or bean bag beans, pool noddles will do the trick I think. I've got steering cables, motor tilt cables, switch wiring and storage room in the hull.
AshG
KFDU Angler

Postby nqkayaktours » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:05 pm

Smylea wrote:Another option is to fill the hull with bean bag beads (will flow into all the nooks and crannies while providing positive flotation at minimal weight).

Not a very good idea at all. :roll: If the shit hits the fan then they beads are floating everywhere. Fish eat them beads but cant pass them. So they die. Not good.
But feasibly you are right. If you fill the hull displacement with pool noodles, or empty milk/coke bottles, will give you less water and more bouyancy. But probably wouldnt be real stable to paddle. But at least you can stay with your floating yak. :grin:

Cheers and tight lines,
Ian
Take your rubbish out full, bring it back empty.

Barra 85c.m, Black Brim 43, Talapia 36, Jungle perch 24, Fresh water catfish 55, sleepy cod 49, Doggie mack 58, fingermark 46, blue nose salmon 44.

http://www.nqkayaktours.com.au
Follow us on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/nqkayaktours
nqkayaktours
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Townsville area, Charters Towers, Greenvale, Great Barrier Reef.
Kayaks: 8 x RTM K-Largos, and 6 x Australis Lynxx

Postby tonystott » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:52 pm

Hobie includes enough foam to keep my (empty) Tandem Island main hull afloat...I added 2 of the bigger noodles (the ones with a central hole in them) down each side (presumably they would float up into the gunwales if the hull was flooded) plus another one cut in half and tied together in the forward hatch area.

I didn't bother working out the precise flotation of each noodle, as (a) my own swimming pool experience showed that a single noodle will keep me floating, and (b) my Island has two amas which provide an additional 300kg total of flotation.
Tony Stott
2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM" with Hobie spinnaker
tonystott
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Forster, nsw
Kayaks: 2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM"

Postby AshG » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:45 pm

nqkayaktours wrote:
Smylea wrote:But probably wouldnt be real stable to paddle. But at least you can stay with your floating yak. :grin:

Cheers and tight lines,
Ian

Yeah, I'm not expecting it to be able to be paddled, just keep it at the water line so I can swim it to the bank and salvage it easily... if the occasion ever occurred, touchwood it doesn't...
Had the hull half full of water after an unexpected very strong wind (thanks willy weather) blew up whilst out on the dam and the water from the relentless chop got into the now covered and sealed but wasn't at the time access hatch (lesson learned there haha) stability went out the window and was very touch and go, only just made it back to the bank afloat :ops:
AshG
KFDU Angler

Postby laneends » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:53 pm

You may be able to keep it afloat, but it wouldn't be stable enough to sit on, so bouyancy is really only so it gives you something to hang on.
to, and salvage.

bouyancy, if foam needs to be closed cell. Expanding foam takes on water and can create pressure to deform or even split when filling. Hence pool noodles. just cram as many in as you can. i fill all non useable storage areas with them.

Using cheap inflatable items can be false economy as neglect will see them deflated when you need then.

empty sealed plastic soft drink bottles are an option also
laneends
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

Postby laneends » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:57 pm

AshG wrote:[
Had the hull half full of water after an unexpected very strong wind (thanks willy weather) blew up whilst out on the dam and the water from the relentless chop got into the now covered and sealed but wasn't at the time access hatch (lesson learned there haha) stability went out the window and was very touch and go, only just made it back to the bank afloat :ops:

How about a removeable bung, that you can poke a hand bilge pump with hose on end through (snug fit). That way you can bail it without opening any hatches.
laneends
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

Postby AshG » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:37 pm

laneends wrote:
How about a removeable bung, that you can poke a hand bilge pump with hose on end through (snug fit). That way you can bail it without opening any hatches.

I've usually got plenty of 12v power on board, smallest is the sounder battery which I have in the yak all the time so always have power on hand so thought about a small bilge pump with alligator clips, a small length of tube, be quick and easy to hook up and keep me hands free for the mad paddle (or motor) for the bank...
AshG
KFDU Angler

Postby Plakkyboat » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:35 pm

If you use pool noodles, be aware that they break down over time and become powdery and crumbly.
In fact, I just threw out 2 old ones today in that condition.
Maybe bottles would last longer and be cheap and easy to replace or remove.
Cheers -- Paul
My first true love was the Sea. After threescore spins around the Sun...she's still there...as my mistress — Plakkyboat Image
Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Burnett Coastal & Rivers
Kayaks: Wedded to "Glass" + a bit of "Plastic" on the side

Postby simons rat » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:39 am

Buy a can of spray foam (Bunnings) with a filler tube connected to the the spray can.

be careful of this ... some filler foam actual absorbs water.

Make sure you get foam that says it is designed for boat building.

Cheers,

S
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A little something else ....

Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/BladeKayakTV
Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishfidler/sets/72157625258444623/
simons rat
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: brisbane

Postby AshG » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:53 am

Plakkyboat wrote:If you use pool noodles, be aware that they break down over time and become powdery and crumbly.
In fact, I just threw out 2 old ones today in that condition.
Maybe bottles would last longer and be cheap and easy to replace or remove.

Yeah the kids pool noodles only lasted a year in the sun sitting around the pool, but I figure they should at least last that long inside the kayak out of the sun. $10 to replace them each year is cheap insurance in my eyes, and probably the cleanest easiest way to add flotation. Cheers for all the input people :)
AshG
KFDU Angler

Next

Return to Safety