lighting regulations

Discussion of safety equipment and use.

lighting regulations

Postby blanchy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:06 am

Hi Guys

I have asked this question on different forums and got completely different responses, so figured I would ask here

Does anybody know the regulations in QLD (particularly GC canals etc) regarding lights on a kayak for night fishing, I have been told if its Brisbane river its a flashing white light(so city cats know its a kayak), also been told if not a registered vessel no light is requires, also been told that a headlamp is sufficient

putting aside the safety aspect, just curious about the legal regulations

if anybody can assist, would be much appreciated

Cheers

Tony :cool:
blanchy
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: south east qld, brisbane
Kayaks: DRAGON HUNTER

Re: lighting regulations

Postby mouse » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:26 am

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/safety/navigation-lights.aspx

If in doubt, give these guys a call. :wink:
Cheers,
Kym
mouse
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: SEQ

Postby gbc » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:28 am

We did this not long ago. The river one is only along the city cat routes and I think only mentions row boats.

Here's the brissy river one by msq

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/~/media/msqin ... onduct.pdf

Here is the msq mandatory requirement (signalling torch)

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Safety/Navigation-lights.aspx

Here is the excerpt from colregs rule 25 that states you may set up your boat with proper Nav lights if you want, but you have to get it right if going that way.

d) (i) A sailing vessel of less than 7 meter in length shall, if practicable, exhibit the lights prescribed in Rule 25(a) or (b), but if she does not, she shall exhibit an all around white light or have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision. Sailing Vessel Underway less than 7meters

(ii) A vessel under oars may exhibit the lights prescribed in this rule for sailing vessels, but if she does not, she shall exhibit an all around white light or have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision.Vessel Under Oars

Bottom line, you NEED a signal torch at night. A head torch might not cut it. You are under no duress to carry anything else in QLD, however you have the right to go further should you wish. Retro reflective tape is awesome at night - highly recommended. Be seen.
Last edited by gbc on Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
gbc
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane or Hervey Bay

Postby simons rat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:43 am

I would go for the all round white light and get some reflective tape onto the yak and your paddle.

If you are on the Brisbane River use the flashing white light, because the city cat captains are looking for it.

It is a scary place on the water at night when you hear something coming towards you and they have no lights on. Light yourself up like an Xmas Tree.

cheers,

S
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A little something else ....

Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/BladeKayakTV
Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishfidler/sets/72157625258444623/
simons rat
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: brisbane

Postby Dodge » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:53 am

simons rat wrote:I would go for the all round white light and get some reflective tape onto the yak and your paddle.
S

Agree with S, be sure you are visible and stay alert to move as you are likely the smallest vessel when in collision with another boat.

Many years ago was driving a 4 ton bay cruiser [nav lights on, cabin lights out to keep night eyes OK] in a main channel at night, it was pitch dark and knew there was a good bream spot straddling the channel so trickling along about 3 knots enough to give steerage.

At only 15m was flashed with torches and had a few unlit tinnies fishing dead ahead, I stopped and asked why they left it so late to flash me.

All said we saw your lights and were watching you, NONE seemed to realize while I was visible to them due to lights, they were unlit and blending with the night.

While there was no heat in the discussion among us all it was an accident waiting to happen I felt, I called coastguard on the radio telling of the risk on the main channel, and a while later looking back i saw a police boat arrive to open the channel.

Will finish with one comment re night safety..

Often see a recommendation to shine a torch in the oncoming skippers eyes, that is ridiculous advice as you have instantly blinded the driver by destroying his night vision ..... a quick flash across the windscreen alerts, but does not blind the other boat.
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue
Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

Return to Safety