Care when lifting Yaks

Discussion of safety equipment and use.

Care when lifting Yaks

Postby Snow » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:17 pm

Hey all. I haven't posted in a long time as work, uni and family are keeping me hellishly busy :cry:
Anyway, I got out for a paddle a couple of weeks ago. Had a great day motoring along in the Moken and caught a good feed of flattys'
When I got back to the car I hoisted the Moken overhead as usual but something in my elbow made the loudest crack sound I have heard.
This happened because I tried to twist the yak around as I lifted it up. Don't do this :roll:
There wasn't any initial pain just a feeling of numbness. Later that afternoon I had no feeling from my elbow to my fingertips and a shocking case of pins and needles
from the shoulder to my elbow. Long story short I had managed to tear my UCL just by ever so slightly twisting as I lifted the yak.
To give you a better idea of what this causes I found this.
A00644F01.jpg

So basically the swelling in the UCL was pressing on the main nerve bundle that passes though it.
Good news is a needle done under a ultrasound has helped reduce the swelling very quickly, the bad news - the doc told me no paddling or fishing for two to three weeks. For some reason he also told me not to do anything stupid??? How will I live???
Moral of the story, don't twist your arm as you lift. Especially not when your lifting something heavy and awkward.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sometimes when I blink, I can't see
Snow
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Coffs Harbour
Kayaks: Moken 10 Lure and a Mantra Noa

Re: Care when lifting Yaks

Postby ShortyK » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:54 pm

Apart from hook injuries, geting the yak on and off the car is probably one of the most common things that causes yakkers injuries. Rest up Mate I know it will be hard.
PB's from Yak:
Flathead 59cm, Bream 35cm,
Tailor 25cm, Moses Perch 28cm,
Wild Bass 40cm, Travelly 27cm,
Whiting 33cm, Eaustry Cod 28cm,
Snapper 51cm, Impoundment Bass 40cm
Reef shark about 2m, Spangeld Emperor 28cm
Longtail Tuna 118cm, Spanish Mackerel 117cm
Wild Yellow belly 37cm.

There is nothing more relaxing than a day on the water in a Kayak.
ShortyK
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Anywhere from Sunshine to the Gold Coast and Brisbane
Kayaks: Not enough.....

Postby laneends » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:11 pm

Must admit I lift and jerk the quest 11, but would never do it with the 13 or even worse the 16. Always one end at a time. just takes a stumble or twist and it can get you in a whole world of trouble. Its just a dodgy balancing act.
laneends
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

Postby arpie » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:58 pm

Bad luck, Snow! I hope you recover quickly! And as the doc says ..... Don't do anything silly!! :wink:

Good luck, mate

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby Snow » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:06 pm

arpie wrote:Bad luck, Snow! I hope you recover quickly! And as the doc says ..... Don't do anything silly!! :wink: Roberta

When he said that Roberta I looked at him and said "You're joking right"?
I do dumb, stupid and silly so well :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Snow
KFDU Angler

Postby Ads22 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:18 pm

So, I knew there was 'tennis elbow', and 'golfers elbow' (opposite side to tennis elbow). Now there's paddler's elbow!

Happy healing, do the physio and you'll be back in no time!

Adam
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Postby tonystott » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:21 pm

I had a very near miss last week. I have been off the water since late 2013 (sad but true!) due to lower limb problems, and last week I decided that sitting on the couch waiting to get better is a mug's game. In addition, I just took delivery of a lovely new spinnaker kit for my Tandem Island, so missing out was not an option. I set up all the new controls on my left (dominant) side, and my new crispy sail was very reluctant entering the snuffer bag (thank goodness the material softens with use!)

That night I put myself to bed, but couldn't find any position that could stop my shoulder throbbing. At 4am I contemplated calling the ambos for the 30+k trip to the Base Hospital in Taree. I toughed it out till 7am (no sleep), until I jumped in the car and drove up to the Emergency Department. I couldn't move my left arm - it couldn't even reach the steering wheel!

As I suspected, it was apparent that I had done damage to my rotator cuff tendon (the last time I injured one, it took ten years to regain full movement..). The next thing, I became the focus of about half a dozen people, firstly with a sling, and then a mountain of brochures describing various services available for disabled people...

Due to an existing spinal issue, I use a walking stick, and of course, using the same side I had just injured! So a crutch appeared for my other arm. Anybody who has seen Monty Python's Ministry of Silly Walks will understand my dismay at attempting to use a crutch on the same side as the crook leg!

So I headed off home somewhat overloaded with all the information I was given, about home care, meals on wheels etc etc. The breaking point for me was when a nurse rang up to organise showering me! It was a sobering thought that I was being categorised as an invalid, probably not unreasonable for a person with a crook arm and a crook back (causing sciatica)..

But the next night, my shoulder recovered to at least 95%, so I recovered from the gloom. The only time my shoulder hurts now is when I reach back to do up my seatbelt.. The buckle is a few inches back from a comfortable location

Bottom line folks, you only get one body, and you can never be too cautious if submitting your body to unusual loads.
Tony Stott
2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM" with Hobie spinnaker
tonystott
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Forster, nsw
Kayaks: 2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM"

Postby pavo » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:37 pm

It wouldn't have happened if it was the stealth.
What dose that moken weigh anyway snow?
pavo
KFDU 3000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Coffs coast
Kayaks: Stealth Fisfa 500. Hobie PA 14 ,Oldtown loon 111 in cammo

Postby allane » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:21 am

I feel for you Snow. Sadly the older we get, the more fragile we get. Also the more dire the consequences. I, as most of us have suffered some soft tissue injury while loading the Yak on the car. Mostly due to too much haste in getting ready to go. Now my Hobie Sport which only weighs 28kg often gets left behind in favour of my Feelfree Nomad which only weighs 21kg. I often wonder how the guys with the PA's go! A little stretching before attempting the lift would help, but sadly we are usually in too much of a rush to get going.
It would be a sad thing, if what we like doing the most, leads to an injury that stops us from doing it.
The best message I would say, even if you're young and fit, take your time and don't be too proud to ask for assistance if anyone is around.
Yak PBs: Bream 38cm FL, Bass 46cm FL, Estuary Perch 36cm FL, Flathead 61cm, Whiting 43cm, Luderick 41cm, Silver Trevally 47cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm
allane
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Woolgoolga
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Feelfree Nomad, Feelfree Move.

Postby zarbs » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:06 pm

For some reason he also told me not to do anything stupid??? How will I live???
Moral of the story, don't twist your arm as you lift. Especially not when your lifting something heavy and awkward.

I hope you are still able to handle a beer or two or do you need a straw :lol: :lol:
zarbs
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Albany Western Australia
Kayaks: Outback

Postby AP-M » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:41 pm

I guess one good thing about the weight of the PA is that I'm not tempted to try and lift it onto the roof racks. I use a side rail to load it by lifting the nose up onto the rail, then lift the back up and slide it on to the roof racks. There's two benefits to a system like that, one you are effectively only lifting half the weight on the kayak at once since one point is always in contact with the ground or the roof racks and the second is you can use a better lifting technique because you don't have to deal with an awkward and unbalanced load as you do when lifting a kayak without any assistance.

I was a health and safety representative at my last job and a good proportion of injuries were caused by lifting loads incorrectly or that were too heavy. It can definitely be tempting when you just want to get something done but after seeing guys sidelined and having to get surgeries to fix stuff that could have easily been avoided it definitely isn't worth it in my opinion.

Good luck with your recovery, hopefully it heals up nicely and you're back in action soon.
AP-M
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Melbourne SE
Kayaks: Hobie PA12

Postby Dodge » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:04 pm

Am another who favours lifting the kayak one end at a time.

This link shows the method using a DIY side loading tent pole, and been in use every outing since 2006

http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=2798
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue
Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

Postby Snow » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:33 pm

pavo wrote:It wouldn't have happened if it was the stealth.
What dose that moken weigh anyway snow?

Hey Pavo. The advertised weight is 31 kilos. I weighed mine on the scales at a mates truck company and it came in at 36kg which included the alloy mount for the motor, control cables to steer and built in speed controller box.

zarbs wrote:For some reason he also told me not to do anything stupid??? How will I live???

I hope you are still able to handle a beer or two or do you need a straw :lol: :lol:

Bourbon through a straw sounds good. Wonder if the Doc would consider that doing something stupid????? :lol:
Snow
KFDU Angler

Postby Jamie D » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:58 pm

That's no good snow hope you get better soon . I've had the same thing happen in my neck and shoulder when the profisha has slipped out of my hands when wet . Why the fug Stealth got rid of the handle on the other side of the yak they had on the evolution range I've got no idea :roll: . I've had to install my own second handle on the right hand side of the kayak .
Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525

Return to Safety