New NSW boating requirements as at 1 July 16

Discussion of safety equipment and use.

New NSW boating requirements as at 1 July 16

Postby XDCammer » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:35 am

According to the new NSW boating requirements as of 1 July 2016, if your carrying a battery you must carry a fire extinguisher.
We had a "Boating Educator" in the shop a few weeks ago and this topic was bought up. I asked why I would need a fire extinguisher in my yak if I was not carrying fuel aboard, the reply was "cause your carrying a battery"……hmmmmm yep!

I carry a 12V 7HA sealed lead acid battery on both my craft and pointed that out to him, but, the answer was still the same.

I haven't been out since the new regs have come into force. So my question is, has anyone been pulled up, caught without an extinguisher, and been issued with a fine? (As my learned friend pointed out rather loudly in the shop).

I have an Adventure Island and a Stealth 525 Profisha.

Safety gear I do carry is a strobe, flares, 2lt water, VHF, signal mirror, torch (floating) some snacks to get me by for 24h, 2 gps's, knife, pliers, and spares for Mirage Drive. Sometimes I do go out over 2nm.

According to the new specs I should be carring a V sheet and EPIRB too for open ocean use. Damned if I'm going to carry a fire extinguisher, especially in the Stealth.

I think it may be time to clarify some yak things with appropriate authorities before the snow melt.

Hey, I'm one of the first to put my hand up for boating safety and the importance of it, but the extinguisher thing on a yak is stretching it a bit far for mine.
Last edited by XDCammer on Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time spent on reconnaissance is time never wasted.
XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Southern NSW
Kayaks: Adventure Island and Stealth Profisha 525

Re: New NSW boating requirements as at 1 July 16

Postby Jamie D » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:56 am

These regs are thought up by the same people , that love "pimping" and polishing their boats , and saying "I'll even take it out in the water one day"
Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525

Postby XDCammer » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:14 pm

Yes Jamie you maybe right. I also think the people who dream up the regs have no idea of kayak fishing and just say the old stupid "Oh we'll just blanket some of the regs for everything", thus utilising less effort, work, thought, and common sense.

I must be getting old and cranky.
XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby Jamie D » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:42 pm

XDCammer wrote:Yes Jamie you maybe right. I also think the people who dream up the regs have no idea of kayak fishing and just say the old stupid "Oh we'll just blanket some of the regs for everything", thus utilising less effort, work, thought, and common sense.

I must be getting old and cranky.

No , not old and cranky , just living in reality , where there is a lot of good stuff but also a lot of poorly thought out regulations that as you say are a knee jerk cookie cutter approach to a topic that needs to be compartmentalised to approach it the most effectively
Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525

Postby pazz » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:42 pm

Gotta love these regulations.
I just had a look on line and they way I read it is there is a section called "modified safety equipment requirements".
They list canoes & kayaks in this section and state they are exempt from carrying any of the listed safety equipment but recommend a radio.
Am I reading it correctly?
We all have different opinions on the safety gear, radios, epirb, ...and I am not interested in starting another extensive post on the pros & cons... But I would like not to get fined by the RMS for not having a fire extinguisher.

Cheers
Pazz
pazz
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Coffs Harbour / Nth Coast NSW
Kayaks: Wilderness Aspire 105, 2015 Revo 13

Postby tonystott » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:52 pm

I make it my habit to have a chat with RMS Boating Safety officers whenever I can, and all I have spoken with have no interest in playing hardball with kayakers who show awareness about safety.

Specifically, none of them would penalise a yakker who had a PLB instead of an EPIRB. and all were generally in agreement that the NSW regs do not demand anything more than a PFD on a yak.

If the new requirement is that an extinguisher is required if you carry any battery, better not take a torch or mobile phone with you... Monty Python couldn't top that for stupidity....
Tony Stott
2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM" with Hobie spinnaker
tonystott
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Forster, nsw
Kayaks: 2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM"

Postby Ads22 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:08 pm

Must be a battery somewhere in your radio, EPIRB or PLB. Extinguishers for everyone.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Postby johnh » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:51 pm

So on this page it specifically states

Lifejackets mustbe worn when paddling at all times on all waters. For full details of the lifejacket wearing requirements, refer to Lifejackets.

The operator of the canoe or kayak is responsible to ensure that everyone on board complies with lifejacket requirements.

Other safety equipment is not required, with the exception of a torch, between sunset and sunrise. Additional equipment is recommended for activities such as sea kayaking.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/safe ... ayaks.html
johnh
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Bundaberg
Kayaks: Hobie Adventure Island & Revo 13

Postby Brendon » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:52 pm

Does NSW publish a Paddle safe brochure (I have just looked at the website and Videos but it does not appear to have a well laid out document) like WA and other states do that clearly layout what's required ? http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFil ... leSafe.pdf
It's a really good resource for the usual newbie questions .

I think the WA rules are a pretty decent and common sense and have been amended recently to allow PLBs instead of EPIRB/ELT and Australian standard buoyancy vests rather than demanding PFD 1 standards . Also removed requirements for anchors .
https://www.instagram.com/brendonchambers/

Shark Sheild courtesy of Steve @ http://www.wildwatersports.com.au/ please support businesses that support KFDU !
Brendon
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Perth
Kayaks: Hobie Revo Hobie Quest Finn Gizmo

Postby XDCammer » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:15 am

Maybe we just had an over zealous Boating Educator in the shop.
XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby Jigglin » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:17 pm

The fire extinguisher rule is written in the context of fuel or other combustible carried on board and when a battery is also present, there is the possibility of ignition. It doesn't effect yaks, unless you have a petrol motor attached.
Jigglin
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: NW Slayer Propel 13 & 10

Postby nigel » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:44 pm

phpPo1sjaPM.jpg
Jamie D wrote:These regs are thought up by the same people , that love "pimping" and polishing their boats , and saying "I'll even take it out in the water one day"

LOL Jamie re polishing check this out its a reflection of the side of a $$$$ craft in Sydney Harbour bet it never leaves the mooring but owners pay peeps to polish it on Saturday then spend an hour " sipping pimms" on Sunday (if the suns shining of course :blah: )

Pommy Nigel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImage
nigel
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: sydney & surrounding areas
Kayaks: dag midway, Cobra expedition , DD3 max ski

Postby Charles1960 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:45 pm

johnh wrote:So on this page it specifically states

Lifejackets mustbe worn when paddling at all times on all waters. For full details of the lifejacket wearing requirements, refer to Lifejackets.

The operator of the canoe or kayak is responsible to ensure that everyone on board complies with lifejacket requirements.

Other safety equipment is not required, with the exception of a torch, between sunset and sunrise. Additional equipment is recommended for activities such as sea kayaking.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/safe ... ayaks.html

Yes this is the new rule from July 1, same rules as "boating alone" apply to kayakers now.
Charles1960
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Central West, Southern Tablelands
Kayaks: Scamp, Jackson Kilroy

Postby XDCammer » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:15 pm

Yes PFD's must be worn at all times by yakers, which is a good thing.

The original post was about,"The Educator" giving me (and the customers in the shop) the wrong information. I would like to meet him again and EDUCATE him on the errors of his statements.
XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby XDCammer » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:20 pm

I'm just banging on about material that has been posted before, so, I'll just close the post, and hope I don't see this "SQUEEZER" educator again.

Many thanks for your responses.

Cheers guys, XD
XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club

Next

Return to Safety