Soft Roof Racks

Discussion of safety equipment and use.

Soft Roof Racks

Postby k-fish » Fri May 05, 2017 5:58 pm

Hi everyone. I've recently purchased my first kayak (basic 2.70m, 80cm wide, 20kg) and opted for the Sea to Summit soft roof racks to transport my kayak. I tie it down with a couple of good cam buckle straps and it seems to hold well but I'm always a little nervous that the yak might come loose. Has anyone had experience with the soft roof racks or any advice on how to make more secure? It gets quite windy on the freeway sometimes :lol:
Yak PB's
Flathead 57cm
k-fish
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane

Re: Soft Roof Racks

Postby grant ashwell » Fri May 05, 2017 6:41 pm

I have a set that I used to use pre racks. Tie off the front and back of the yak to prevent lifting and you can then tell if it goes askew as well. I used a short section of heavy spongy cord attached to the ropes to allow some give.
Grant
grant ashwell
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Mid North Coast

Postby arpie » Sat May 06, 2017 8:13 pm

Yep, as Grant says .... you need to tie them front and back to the bumper bars/tow points to make sure they don't skew .... as well as around the middle a couple of times - with the soft ones I think they go sideways 'thru' the car doors/windows as well as front to back. It pays to have them tied down at multiple points.

Cheers

Roberta

Also check them occasionally if you re driving any distance to make sure they are still 'snug'!

Here is another thread on softies:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21813
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby manno » Sun May 07, 2017 9:46 am

Ive got a slayer propel. And use those same soft racks. Theyre ok but when i tighten the straps the paper thin roof on my mazda buckles and dents. I dont tie off the front or back and have never had an issue.
manno
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Melb

Postby BrendanH » Sun May 07, 2017 12:00 pm

I had the same setup. I will offer the advice that you have to make sure that the top of your car and the soft racks are spotless. Any grit or gravel between the racks and your roof will scour your paintwork.
BrendanH
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: ACT
Kayaks: Scorpio Terrapin

Return to Safety