Pro Angler Flipping, Righting and Re-entry

Discussion of safety equipment and use.

Pro Angler Flipping, Righting and Re-entry

Postby pdfarrell » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:25 pm

G'day people.

Curious as to how many PA owners have practiced this?

Have recently read a facebook post, where a guy was flipped over by boat wake in a harbour, and couldn't right his PA, or get back in.
It got me thinking.... COULD I DO IT? :beye:

I've flipped (on purpose) and re-entered my Outback enough times to be comfortable that I could do it in an emergency, however, I've not done the same since buying the PA.

Going to give it a go at Lake St Clair on the Midcoast trip (viewtopic.php?f=65&t=50675) and hopefully video the whole shebang.
I'm sure there would be no shortage of volunteers on our weekend to film it!
Want to try it, with and without a reentry strap, and re-entering from different areas of the yak. (Rear, side, front etc).
Will also be interesting to see how much water she takes in while inverted.

Will post the videos to KFDU as I think this is important, and something we all need to be confident in doing.

Thinking our St Clair trip would be a good place to try it, with a controlled enviroment, people to assist and no men in grey suits.
I would also invite other Midcoaster's who haven't practiced this to give it a go along with me.

Will make some great Saturday lunctime entertainment.
Although I think I'll do it around the corner in the back bay out of site of other campers. :roll:

May be able to look for my old Tonics while in the drink!

Cheers,
PF
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught..."

Member of
pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

Re: Pro Angler Flipping, Righting and Re-entry

Postby rocky » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:12 pm

Sounds like it could be fun along with a good lesson just don't take the Fat Yak out with you or before you go.
Look forward to the video.

Cheers & Beers
Rocky
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
Yak PB: Flathead 80cm, Bream 41cm, Whiting 43cm, Tailor 50cm, Tandanus tandanus 52cm, Mullet 40cm, Barramundi 73cm, Snapper 42cm, Barred Grunter (Javelin) 47cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm (more to come one day)
Member of
rocky
Club Co-ordinator

Local Fishing Region: Australia, I could be anywhere or everywhere
Kayaks: Hobie Outback & SWMBO's SUP

Postby pdfarrell » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:19 pm

rocky wrote: ...just don't take the Fat Yak out with you or before you go...

It would be impressive if I could flip the yak without spilling my beer.... :wink:

... but I don't think I'll saddle up the yaks until later....

rocky wrote:Look forward to the video

I'm thinking Benny Hill soundtrack...

Cheers,
PF

Member of
pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Postby Ads22 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:50 pm

I did the same thing in my Fish Bandit at 1770 last year. One of our mates had their paddle board out, so I emptied my gear and used mine as a fat, slow paddle board. Then we had handstand competitions on our 'boards'. While I can stand ok in the 9ft yak, it's easy to lose balance, and more so when inverted!! :lol:

If was good practice for re-entry. I reckon those PA units would be an effort to correct. I don't think re-entry would be a huge drama. I look forward to seeing a video!!! I think it should be great entertainment for all. Perhaps a KFDU Midcoast Yak re-entry race is in order?

I might even have to link it to my 'safety' video to help you with some 'outside' foot traffic. :wink:
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Postby pdfarrell » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:35 pm

Ads22 wrote:I reckon those PA units would be an effort to correct.

Looking at this video, if might be an effort to flip it to start with...

Cheers,
PF

Member of
pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Postby Ads22 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:51 pm

I thought it would be! I have been watching some videos from a newer YouTuber from up this way and he spends a fair bit of time standing from what I can tell. I'm a little jealous of his Power Pole!

You might need to order a boat to create a wake. I might know of some guys that could help... :lol:
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Postby zarbs » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:49 pm

Should be interesting if you use your 360FLY 4K camera :grin: :grin:
zarbs
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Albany Western Australia
Kayaks: Outback

Postby SgtBundy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:23 am

Hi all, I am the subject of the OPs facebook mention. In my case with the PA I had the seat in the high position and where I got flipped is a point that boat traffic likes to cut on their way into middle harbour. The wake that flipped me basically stood up into a 2ft wave dead square onto the side of the PA, so once it rolled my high centre of gravity did the rest.

I had a bag of ice in the front hatch and only one of the cover straps was done up. I think when the PA flipped the ice pushed open the cover and the hull started taking on water. I have flipped in an outback before and had no trouble righting it, but in this case I just could not lever it enough to get it over.

Once I was assisted by a boat to right it, boarding was difficult because it kept wanting to roll over again. I expect all the water in the front pod and hull made it roll harder whenever I put weight on it. When I eventually beached it the front tub was full and I must have drained 60kg of water out of the rear bungs (it was extremely heavy to pull up the beach).

Stability wise I have been pretty confident with the PA, although in the past I always tended to use the low seat in the harbour. In fact that morning I was in 4m swell at one point wthout issue - but the weather calmed and I popped the seat up as I moved in the more protected part of the area. Lesson learned.

Disclaimer though - I am a bulky lad, 146kg and 6'1, so the PA doesnt like me standing or even moving towards the front hatch. My size and fitness probably also had a big part in why I couldnt flip or reboard.

An idea from FB is a self rescue ladder which I have now made. Although with the damage my electrics setup has taken I hope I dont have call to make use of it.

Stay safe out there.
SgtBundy
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: NSW

Postby NorthSIKer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:26 am

Thanks for joining and posting up your experience SgtBundy.

I think the point from pdfarrell's post is that every kayaker should have a plan (practiced plan) for when they come out of their kayak. I say when, because as you found, things can happen you never expected and you are in the drink. Stability in the kayak is not a plan as every boat (and more importantly every paddler) has their limit.

Very many kayakers (possibly the majority of paddlers of recreational style kayaks) fail to have worked out an adequate plan for when they end up in the water.

Looks like you are now developing a solution (The rescue ladder) which is perfect. Please take out the kayak with the new ladder, flip it and test it out. If you paddle rough waters, test in those conditions as well. If you may, much appreciated if you share your learnings from this on this forum as far too many kayakers are complacent and can do with every reminder they can get.

Other things to plan for WHEN you end up out of the boat.

- How long can you last in the water (if it is cold)?
- If you can't reenter for some reason (e.g. really rough) what is the next option?
- If the kayak gets blown away from you (a common problem it seems in actual deaths) what is the next option?

You have experienced something that could happen to anyone (being unexpectedly out of your boat) and didn't have a good plan (which you share with the majority of kayakers I suspect). The experience has already stimulated pdfarrell and I expect a few others to improve their re-entry planning. Good outcomes all round.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby SgtBundy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:22 am

Absolutely - even though I have capsized before I as still caught short. Last time the outback righted easily, 2 or 3 times as it kept flipping when I tried to reboard. So after that experience I looked into better re-boarding techniques, but have not practised them. This time with the PA14 not wanting to roll over, I was not even at the point of attempting to get back in.

The other thing that hit home was what if this happened away from help - say out near the heads or in swell where I was not very visible. In that case I would probably have inflated my PFD, but not had many other options. My phone, though waterproof, becomes useless when the touch screen wet and thats even if I manage to get it out of my pocket without losing it in the drink. So I would have no real avenues to call for rescue - to remedy that I am looking into PLB. Probably 95% of where I go its not needed, but as above all it takes is a second and the wrong wave and your day gets worse from there. Have and not need, vs need and not have.

I have helped sports kayakers who had their craft blown away from them faster than they could swim so I will look into a leash for that option to.

As above I have put together a simple self-rescue ladder - seeing that after the fact makes me wonder how much quicker I could have fixed the situation on the day with that available. But yes, I need to test and practice that - I expect to find the best way to get on around all my gear.

The expensive but not as critical aspect is so much of my electronics are now hosed - including my sounder. Water got into my electrics "control" panel which shorted everything and corroded it to hell. My fuse placement meant it did nothing because it wasn't cutting power to the waterlogged box, as it was inside the box. Improperly sealed components leaked water in, and it just shorted and corroded right on the plug socket bypassing the fuse - to fix that I am putting a high amp fuse inline on the battery, and looking to add separate fuses for the individual items in a better location. Also there isn't a lot out there that is truly waterproof (IP68), even less if you do a shoddy job on sealing them.

An expensive, embarrassing, frustrating and potentially dangerous lesson.

And all I got that day was a stinking barracouta.
SgtBundy
KFDU Angler

Postby Slick Mick » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:19 pm

Saw some footage once (YouTube) of someone remounting a PA14 from the back and pulling themselves forward. Mind you that was in pretty calm water. Middle Harbour is a total pain. Not only from the wash of passing boat traffic but if you are near Middle Head in any swell coming in through the heads >3' the rebound of the rocks is always interesting.

Have always practiced rolling my fishing yaks and remounting before I go offshore. Always in deep water (no pushing off the bottom) with and without a PFD. Will admit my Outback was hard. Revo 13 much easier. ProFisha was a dawdle and my current Fisha 500 is as easy as it gets.

I also have a 6.1m x 44.5cm and a 6.45m x43cm surf/ocean skis. Now they are "interesting" to remount.

Good luck SgtBundy. Practice makes perfect and when you nail it... nothing will stop you!

Mick
PB (Yak) Bonito 60cm, Bream 37cm, Dusky Flathead 49cm, Sand Flathead 47Cm, Bass 35cm (1st time Bass fishing).
Slick Mick
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: NSW Illawarra/South Coast
Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Prowler 4.3 Ultra, Stellar & Fenn Surfskis, Vajda K1

Postby SgtBundy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:46 pm

Thanks Mick - in my case the back of the PA is taken up with an esky live bait tank setup - for which I have a built with a large dump valve setup so I can dump water quickly if I feel I am getting too top heavy for conditions. But that would impede me getting on from the rear. At the front I have my sounder on the left side, so I would have to come over the front right side where there is less clutter. Maybe if I have a go I might find a way over the front hatch, if it will cope with my weight there.
SgtBundy
KFDU Angler

Return to Safety