BOONEDOX Landing Gear

Are you new to kayak fishing? Feel free to ask any questions here.

BOONEDOX Landing Gear

Postby BJ100 » Wed May 10, 2017 2:09 pm

Hi Guys,

I have a PA 12 and am looking at getting a cart/wheels for transport. I have recently seen the Boonedox landing gear and was wondering if anyone had one? just looking for some Aussie reviews as all I seem to find is American ones.

Does anyone know of any Aussie Stockists? or should I just get the Hobie Heavy Duty Cart? I like the Boonedox for the fact you don't have to unload or roll the yak on it's side to attach the wheels.

Any way any info/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Ben
BJ100
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Canberra
Kayaks: 2015 Pro Angler 12

Re: BOONEDOX Landing Gear

Postby Nativeman » Thu May 11, 2017 12:35 am

I have seen this system in videas I have been watching lately. $350 US is that the price? I don't believe there are Au distributors and the fact that it requires an installation of a cross bar in a convenient spot so its out of the way of your gear yet be in a spot close to centre balance would be difficult for some.

Buy a C tug or go the HD Hobie one as you mentioned..
Sel
Nativeman
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: universe

Postby sid_fishes » Thu May 11, 2017 7:59 am

hi, both myself and a mate have the landing gear on our pa14,s and we both agree its the best thing since sliced bread.the reason we went with them was trying to put the hobie cart on by ones self is a pita.
all i do now is lower the wheels lock into place wheel my yak into the water then lift wheels up and lock into place
Reverse the process when i come back in to easy
cheers
ian
sid_fishes
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: S.E.QLD

Postby Fleetfeet » Thu May 11, 2017 9:06 am

Wow looks awesome, I wish that I was clever enough to put a set on, brilliant idea and I will certainly be looking out for them
Fleetfeet
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast Qld
Kayaks: Spirit Venus, Hobie Pro Angler 12

Postby BJ100 » Thu May 11, 2017 2:52 pm

sid_fishes wrote:hi, both myself and a mate have the landing gear on our pa14,s and we both agree its the best thing since sliced bread.the reason we went with them was trying to put the hobie cart on by ones self is a pita.
all i do now is lower the wheels lock into place wheel my yak into the water then lift wheels up and lock into place
Reverse the process when i come back in to easy
cheers
ian

Hi Ian,

Can I ask where you got them from? Locally or internationally? If internationally how long did it take to arrive and did all parts arrive?
Was it hard to install? Do you have any pics or Vids?

Cheers Ben
BJ100
KFDU Angler

Postby sid_fishes » Thu May 11, 2017 7:27 pm

Ben , i had to bring them in as no one will be an agent for them ,why im not sure!
i think from memory it took about 2 weeks to get them to my door, everything was there not a problem in the world .
to install is good if you are handy with tools ,and follow the vids on line
and no i didnt think about doing a vid of the install but its not hard to do
cheers mate
sid_fishes
KFDU Angler

Postby YAL05T » Fri May 12, 2017 7:18 am

Had mine for ages now. I managed to get the first one into Australia and tried to kick off dialogue with some of the reputable kayak dealers here, no one seemed too over excited which is a shame as its changed my launch and recovery dramatically!

Contact the guys in NC direct, they are top blokes who are super proud (and rightly so) of their products.
YAL05T
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Central Coast, NSW
Kayaks: Old Town Camden Angler 106, 2013 Hobie PA14

Postby BJ100 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:25 pm

Thanks All for the feedback. I will look into them further before making a decision but I think they are at the top of the list at the moment. There doesn't appear to be any negative comments about them that I can find at this stage.

Again thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. enjoy your weekend.

Ben
BJ100
KFDU Angler

Postby FishnDive » Fri May 12, 2017 10:32 pm

There are two stores listed on their websites as being Australian agents. Both of them are in Melbourne but might be worth a call?

Victorian dealer for Stealth Performance Products & Lockrack
FishnDive
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Port Philip Bay, Western Port, Vic
Kayaks: Stealth Fisha 460 ProFisha 525 ProFisha Duo Toura 17

Postby StevenM » Tue May 16, 2017 6:16 pm

If anyone has sorted a Aussie landed price let us know will ya or a real Aussie distributor price.

Logan and Albert Fish Management Association
http://www.facebook.com/lafma

Somerset Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Association
http://www.facebook.com/SomersetWivenhoeFishStocking
StevenM
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Anywhere there is water. Any fish in that pothole?
Kayaks: Wilderness Aspire 100, Hobie Quest 11,,Hobie PA & Tinny

Postby FishnDive » Tue May 16, 2017 6:50 pm

StevenM wrote:If anyone has sorted a Aussie landed price let us know will ya or a real Aussie distributor price.

A customer of mine inquired about them last week, and was quoted $400 plus shipping by Capacity. He is after a set with the beach wheels for an outback. It might be worth combining your orders to get them sent direct?
I can put you guys in touch if you like.

Victorian dealer for Stealth Performance Products & Lockrack
FishnDive
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Port Philip Bay, Western Port, Vic
Kayaks: Stealth Fisha 460 ProFisha 525 ProFisha Duo Toura 17

Postby Aussie54 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:08 pm

Capacity Sports have them listed with standard wheels for $450.

Strangley enough, I'm looking at the Boonedox today. I bought a NW Multi-cart from them for my Slayer Propel 13.I have had it for 2 years or more, but getting bit old in tooth now to lift the rear end up and over onto the cart. I mean I can do it, but if there is an easier way as such the Boonedox landing gear seems, maybe the $450 is worth saving my back.

Currently racking my brain trying to think of an idea to make one a lot cheaper. There is a few from PVC pipe and trolley tires, but they seem big, bulky and cannot be tucked up and out of the way like the Boonedox does. When you look at the Boonedox closely, it's a great piece of equipment except for the alleged cheap Chinese plastic wing screws.

I've got winter to get it sorted.
Aussie54
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sydney metro, upper Nepean River & South Coast
Kayaks: Native Watercraft Slayer Propel

Postby Aussie54 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:16 pm

Oh the other thing too, most if not all of the videos available show a yanky bloke dragging his kayak slightly out of the back of his dual cab ute, folding the wheels down, sliding out more to the ground. Fantastic.

BUT, what happens when I need to take it off the roof of my Commodore. It'll be a bit hard to fold the wheels down on the roof, won't be possible. Do I fold them down when it sitting on the side load bar, risking the yak sliding off.

The alternative is lay dict on ground, lift one side up, fold one side wheel down, then repeat on the other side, but this second side will be more difficult due to the weight I'll be lift. The first side I'm tipping the kayak on its side with no real weight load.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how a Boonedox landing gear would work off the top of a wagon?
Aussie54
KFDU Angler

Postby sid_fishes » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:07 am

my mate has a 4by collie with a lift, what he does is rear lift [has that frame thingy that fits to the towball].what he does is pulls the 14 back far enought to lower and lock wheels then locates the frame ,pulls the whole thing back till the 14 is on the ground ,picks up the front swings it away from truck,
reverse the the whole procedure to put it back on
me i trailer mine as ive got a busted up back but is as simple as to put on and off . takes me longer to rig than it is to remove from the trailer

cheers
sid_fishes
KFDU Angler

Postby Aussie54 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:59 pm

Fair enough Sid-fishes, thanks for the tip.

However, my wagon has a fairly sloped rear end. I tried the rear loading. It was too difficult with the suction cup things so My alternative for rear loading would be the Rhino T bar but then this restricts getting in the back of the wagon even when it's folded down or out.

So what about side loading on and off with the Boonedox. Does anyone know if this can be done with little effort referring to my posts above??

Regards, Wayne A.
Aussie54
KFDU Angler

Next

Return to General Kayak and Fishing Questions