Fishing for aquarium pet fish

Are you new to kayak fishing? Feel free to ask any questions here.

Fishing for aquarium pet fish

Postby TheBrownSnake » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:26 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone know the legality of keeping a catch for an aquarium pet fish? A bit of a bizarre question I know. But as long as they are over the legal minimum size limit, not a no take species, etc. so what would be legal to eat, could you theoretically have one as an aquarium fish? I know you can't collect and sell, and that is definitely NOT what I want or will ever do.

Might be a bit of different viewpoint, but I reckon that fish and their intelligence is greatly underrated. I find photos/videos of aquariums raise awareness, respect and appreciation of fish, their ecosystems and nature itself. Kayak fishing being one of the most ethical ways to fish, ever. Able to target quite specific species, individual catches ensuring being able to return by-catches as best as possible, whilst minimising environmental impact of pollution, including noise. All this while interacting directly with the great outdoors!

Continuing on from this, what is the largest live-well or storage for keeping fish alive in a kayak?
TheBrownSnake
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane

Re: Fishing for aquarium pet fish

Postby dirvin21 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:29 pm

as long as you comply with size and bag limits and no take species regulations
I knew a guy that used to catch a lot of colourful species like moon wrasse with small hooks for his fish tanks
if you want to catch them with a handheld net and dive gear I think there used to be a permit for a small fee dunno whether this is still the case
PB: BASS: 47cm, SNAPPER: 62cm, TAILOR: 60cm, BREAM: 43cm, FLATHEAD: 65cm, GOLDEN PERCH: 52cm, JEW: 33cm

NSW NORTH COAST KAYAK FISHING CLUB
dirvin21
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Nambucca Heads
Kayaks: sit-on fisherman

Postby Swamp Stalker » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:34 pm

Be careful about putting wild fish in to an aquarium with other fish, as it may prove very costly. Years ago I caught a very colourful wrasse and took it home to give to a mate who had a large aquarium. The wrasse loved it, food every where :lol: . By the next day the wrasse has consumed about $500 worth of exotic aquarium fish
SWAMP STALKER TACKLE
Swamp Stalker
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 10

Postby TheBrownSnake » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:17 am

Cheers for that! I was more thinking Saratoga! Or a stunning Mangrove Jack. Fortunate enough to have a big tank, and always wanted a good excuse to DIY build my own massive plywood, fibreglass and epoxy tank. Set up a biotope of one of the waters top predators!

Swamp Stalker wrote:Be careful about putting wild fish in to an aquarium with other fish, as it may prove very costly. Years ago I caught a very colourful wrasse and took it home to give to a mate who had a large aquarium. The wrasse loved it, food every where :lol: . By the next day the wrasse has consumed about $500 worth of exotic aquarium fish

That's tragic and hilarious all in one! And a good warning, I have a Mary River cod from a rare captive breeding that I wouldn't want as fish food! Cheers guys
TheBrownSnake
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane

Postby 2yackers » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:31 am

i have a permit from fisheries to collect certain saltwater species for my recently pulled down marine aquarium.
It lasts for 5 years and I think it cost about $60 or around that.
There are certain conditions included which have to be adhered to like report back to fisheries every twelve months detailing which fish were taken including size etc. also once a fish has been kept in captivity it cannot be released back into the environment due to possible cross contamination from there food source whilst in captivity and therefore they have be killed once they outgrow there new environment, something which I don't feel comfortable with.
There are quite a few more conditions as well.
Check it out if you want to as it saves your axx when the fishing inspector finds you with undersized fish in your possession.
Regards
Bob
Regards
Bob

' Give a Man a Fish and he will eat for a day. '
' Teach a Man to Fish and he will sit in a boat and drink Beer all day. '

PB's: Flathead - 58 cm, Bream - 35 cm,
Member:
Sydney Kayak Fishing Club,
Midcoast Kayak Fishing Club,
NSW South Coast Kayak Fishoes.
Team Old Farts
Penrith & Hills District Kayak Fishing Club
Kayak Fishing UK.
2yackers
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Blue Mountains NSW & wherever the road takes me.
Kayaks: Hobie Adventure 2012 'African Queen 2'

Postby dirvin21 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:33 am

TheBrownSnake wrote:Cheers for that! I was more thinking Saratoga! Or a stunning Mangrove Jack. Fortunate enough to have a big tank, and always wanted a good excuse to DIY build my own massive plywood, fibreglass and epoxy tank. Set up a biotope of one of the waters top predators!

Swamp Stalker wrote:Be careful about putting wild fish in to an aquarium with other fish, as it may prove very costly. Years ago I caught a very colourful wrasse and took it home to give to a mate who had a large aquarium. The wrasse loved it, food every where :lol: . By the next day the wrasse has consumed about $500 worth of exotic aquarium fish

That's tragic and hilarious all in one! And a good warning, I have a Mary River cod from a rare captive breeding that I wouldn't want as fish food! Cheers guys

you would be better buying a saratoga they are tough as nails in a stable environment but do not like sudden changes and would be unlikely to survive wild to fishtank unless a very small specimen
PB: BASS: 47cm, SNAPPER: 62cm, TAILOR: 60cm, BREAM: 43cm, FLATHEAD: 65cm, GOLDEN PERCH: 52cm, JEW: 33cm

NSW NORTH COAST KAYAK FISHING CLUB
dirvin21
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Nambucca Heads
Kayaks: sit-on fisherman

Return to General Kayak and Fishing Questions