Where to store your catch

Are you new to kayak fishing? Feel free to ask any questions here.

Where to store your catch

Postby roastman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Hello

Having just purchased a Hobie Compass, I am now unsure where to store my catch (in the unlikely event I actually catch a fish, which seems to be a rare occurence while I am learning to use plastics). My previous kayak had a good sized bait/catch well. I have seen the big Hobie fish bags, but they just don’t seem practical on a small kayak.

Does anyone use a catch net, stringer or similar device? Just throw an esky in the back? I probably need to see what size esky I can carry in the back and retain stability, plus still have some space for the Hobie cart.
roastman
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane

Re: Where to store your catch

Postby Nativeman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:48 pm

I used a soft cold bag, aldi type, Coles, throw some ice bricks in there...
Nativeman
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Qld, south east
Kayaks: Hobie Mirage Compass, Hobie Quest 11, Viking Gt Profish. Stacer Tinny

Postby StevenM » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:47 am

Mate you need to have another look at what Hobie has to offer.

If you don’t think the below is practical I have no idea what you are looking for.

I have used this in the rear well of the Quest 11 (actually permanently bungeed in) and is a great little bag. Should be sweet in the front or rear or the compass.

392ADFA4-E460-4043-A03F-50D43C9F9AEF.png

F1D6C672-1DCB-48A0-822D-65E75172F88B.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Logan and Albert Fish Management Association
http://www.facebook.com/lafma

Somerset Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Association
http://www.facebook.com/SomersetWivenhoeFishStocking
StevenM
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Anywhere there is water. Any fish in that pothole?
Kayaks: Wilderness Aspire 100, Hobie Quest 11,,Hobie PA & Tinny

Postby pdfarrell » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:58 am

I use a Hobie Livewell, but I'll also second the bag above.

I use the bag when squidding, as I don't fancy getting ink all through my livewell.
It holds a slurry of ice well, and stays icy for hours. (Mind you I keep it in the front hatch of my PA12)

Fishwise, I only keep the odd flatty, and they're happy to play in the livewell until I get back to shore.

Not keen on a keeper net in Lake Macquarie. Don't really want to attract unwanted guests.

Cheers,
PF
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught..."

Member of
pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

Postby Nativeman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:25 am

Mate I'm a tight arse when it come to cooler bags, Something to throw fish on ice into, I will take the 9.95 option every day. The Hobie one just looks to pretty to shove fish in there, Drinks maybe
Nativeman
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Qld, south east
Kayaks: Hobie Mirage Compass, Hobie Quest 11, Viking Gt Profish. Stacer Tinny

Postby Ads22 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:52 am

Nativeman wrote:Mate I'm a tight arse when it come to cooler bags, Something to throw fish on ice into, I will take the 9.95 option every day. The Hobie one just looks to pretty to shove fish in there, Drinks maybe

Maybe start with the drinks, then when they run low and fish start biting you might care less... :lol: :lol:

I, too, use a woolies/coles bag!
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Postby roastman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:33 pm

Thanks for the replies... Somehow managed to not subscribe to my own post, so I missed all of these! The Hobie bag looks OK. My family want some ideas for Christmas presents, so the list is growing.
roastman
KFDU Angler

Postby roastman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:38 pm

Just curious on either option (the cheap Woolies style or Hobie bag)... Do these tend to store the odour?
roastman
KFDU Angler

Postby Dodge » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:04 pm

roastman wrote:Just curious on either option (the cheap Woolies style or Hobie bag)... Do these tend to store the odour?

Just put everything in a plastic bag inside the cooler bags, like a liner .... after use rinse the liner bag and dry.

Aldi have a plastic shopping bag at 15c at their checkout, fairly heavy plastic makes a good liner .... my one has had many fish without tearing from fins etc, if that happens just buy another one.
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue
Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

Postby StevenM » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:09 am

No smell in the Hobie one

Logan and Albert Fish Management Association
http://www.facebook.com/lafma

Somerset Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Association
http://www.facebook.com/SomersetWivenhoeFishStocking
StevenM
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Anywhere there is water. Any fish in that pothole?
Kayaks: Wilderness Aspire 100, Hobie Quest 11,,Hobie PA & Tinny

Postby roastman » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:15 am

Thanks again for the replies... Will try the shopping bag version loaded with ice before worrying about the Hobie style (although Hobie bag looks awesome, so will leave it on the wish list).
roastman
KFDU Angler

Postby Marty75 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:04 pm

Can also get a vinyl dry storage bag. Fill with ice and throw the catch in there. At the end of the day just hose out and dry ready for the next outing.

Marty
Marty75
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Mid north coast
Kayaks: Stealth Evo 465, Tarpon 120, Hobie Quest 11

Postby roastman » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:28 pm

:lek:
roastman
KFDU Angler

Postby laneends » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:13 am

Dont like big coolers as it just gets you down when you come back empty, and its just a wind catcher. So use a small one with a cooler block for run of the mill fish, if targeting bigger fish, then I will have a rolled up woolies tote bag, and just transfer the lot to that if required. Note if using coolers/tote bags the zips with quickly corrode up so zipperless is best.
Also have a large soft rectangular cooler in the front hatch with the top removed and underside of lid lined and can put catch in there. Easy on the quests, not so much on the revo 16.
laneends
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

Postby roastman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:26 am

laneends wrote:Dont like big coolers as it just gets you down when you come back empty, and its just a wind catcher. So use a small one with a cooler block for run of the mill fish, if targeting bigger fish, then I will have a rolled up woolies tote bag, and just transfer the lot to that if required. Note if using coolers/tote bags the zips with quickly corrode up so zipperless is best.
Also have a large soft rectangular cooler in the front hatch with the top removed and underside of lid lined and can put catch in there. Easy on the quests, not so much on the revo 16.

Given what I am catching at the moment, a small ziplock bag would be big enough :lol:

I might take a look at some of the small esky style carriers. Carrying one of those with some ice and drinks, along with a soft bag stowed in the small front hatch may be a solution. I have thought about using a catch net or basket out the side of the kayak, but am not sure if that is a great idea. Even in estuaries etc, I don't really want to encourage predators to the side of the kayak. It is probably not an issue, but........
roastman
KFDU Angler

Return to General Kayak and Fishing Questions