any tips for moffat beach/brays rock

Are you new to kayak fishing? Feel free to ask any questions here.
Paulioq
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Wynnum
Kayaks: pa14 profiha525

any tips for moffat beach/brays rock

#1 Post by Paulioq » Mon May 14, 2018 6:27 pm

gday am thinking of heading up to moffat this weekend to try my hand at maybe getting a tuna and have a bit of a prospect in the area. was just wondering if any one has any tips they might like to share not asking for gps mark or anything as my style is to drift on the shute till I find some action. but if some one could be so kind to advise where some liveys are likely to be caught and any advice on currents or breakers in the area to look out for would be more then enough to get me started.

I have a magnum 15 in red/white to troll around and was going to take a bag of pillies to cube while teaching a frozen pilly how to swim down the cube trail as well for giggles. but would like to have a livey out to ring the dinner bell for me. also is the current north to south on the incoming or does the bribie channel act like a funnel etc

cheers in advance for any help any one might have to share

unsinkable 2
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Toowoomba, Straddie, SEQ
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525, Old Town Vapour 10, Viking 2+1

Re: any tips for moffat beach/brays rock

#2 Post by unsinkable 2 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:02 pm

Livies near the shark nets straight out from the beach. Don't use a chute- if the tuna pop up you'll want to paddle straight to them and it's another thing to get tangled if you do hook up. I usually just hang around straight out from the headland and wait for the fish to pop up- sometimes you'll have to paddle to brays/the blinker/out wider if they show up there but you should be right. Not much current to speak of either. Keep trolling until you do find some and that should be your best bet.

Once you see the bustups cast small profiled things in and hang on- my fav is a zman 5 inch streakz in nuked pilchard on a 3/8th oz 5/0 headlockz hd jighead. worth having plenty of different offerings if they're fussy though.

Good luck!
PBs
I caught a cobia which could eat the rest except for the mackerel which could also probably eat a lot of the things

Paulioq
KFDU Angler

#3 Post by Paulioq » Tue May 15, 2018 12:04 am

cheers for the reply plenty of info to get me going sounds like i'll be trolling and looking for bust ups to cast at. I have those jig heads and other packs of streakz to try, might try those nuke chicken, means a trip to tackle warehouse oh no :lol: will grab some slugs as well. have tried casting to tuna befor from boats with little success but we couldn't get with in 70m of them for the noise a boat makes. I always love how quiet a kayak is to fish from gives you an advantage over boats

Paulioq
KFDU Angler

#4 Post by Paulioq » Sun May 20, 2018 6:19 am

Paulioq wrote: might try those nuke chicken
umm I ment nuke pilchard :gu: just wanted to say thank you to unsinkable2 for your advice. went up yesterday and had a look around but no tuna one of the locals said they moved on a couple of weeks ago but pop up out wide, caught a few fish(small grassy's and squire) nothing worth braging about they all went back, did get a flatty out at brays rock don't know what he was doing out there and catching lives was fun but I couldn't belive nothing hit a trolled live slimey I did get a 5ft bronze whaler on a yellow tail I put out while bounceing a jig head along drifting. had nuke pilchard in curltail 4" so I used them they went alright so did iced coconut. had some plastics come back destroyed but for no hook up must be some toothy critters down there at brays rock

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

#5 Post by rocketV » Sun May 20, 2018 8:48 am

great to see knowledge sharing like this, well done :cool:
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11

Cubits
KFDU Angler
Kayaks: Viking Profish GT

#6 Post by Cubits » Sun May 20, 2018 8:57 am

Yeah i was out yesterday and it was very quiet, and it has definitely tapered off in the last few weeks, so time to switch over to snapper rigs! I've seen a few of those caught over 60 in the last couple of weeks, but my preference is always tuna if they're an option.

The bust-ups over brays were all barracuda. I caught a bunch hoping something would be hanging out under them, or some tailor or trevs would be in the mix, but nada.

Snapper time! Brays goes off with them across winter.

Paulioq
KFDU Angler

#7 Post by Paulioq » Sun May 20, 2018 10:13 am

I heard of a few being knocked over on the walky-talky the local bloke I said to use channel 9. I didn't know my way around there so got to places a bit late by the time the sun rose enough for me to work out what was going on. was trolling a rapala till I could see the shark nets for livies then started trolling later then I wanted but it was a first trip out to a spot didn't expect to go there and do well like I do at my spots that have taken me years to work out. was happy with what I caught and what I learnt for next time. hey cubits you didn't see me landing my pa and tiping it over when my lifejacket got caught on the fishing rod holder as I jumped out at the beach and tip my front hatch out. because if you didn't we wont speak of that moment again :oops: one thing clear to me was exceptional weather yesterday lucky to make it a good trip in the pa14 but defiantly need one of those stealth kayaks if I'm thinking of venturing out again, better start selling some unfinished projects out of the pergola of broken dreams and make room for a stealth profish 525 or fisha 500. the pa14 was so heavy and I was so exhausted from the trip I nee'd to ask a friendly beach goer for a push to get it of the beach I had a sand trakz ctug under it and it wasn't bogged just to heavy for that sort of action. was alright dragging it down just not after the 12 or so k in swell kicken the whole time. I might stick to boat ramps with that one. deffintly a lot learnt about my yak and the spot

Cubits
KFDU Angler
Kayaks: Viking Profish GT

#8 Post by Cubits » Mon May 21, 2018 6:15 pm

I didn't see you stack it, no. I had my reverse angle camera running the whole time and only captured two people coming in behind me. The PA that came in did so uneventfully, but i caught a guy on a black/red/white stealth supalite getting crushed in the shore dump! You must have been outside the scope of that lens. :p

Yeah, i've been tossing up between a stealth or a viking reload myself. The reload means i can just chuck my tackle pod across from the GT, but the stealths have that rod hatch which is an amazing blessing when it comes to handling actual surf launches. It's a tough choice...

And lugging kayaks back is the worst! I used to carry my full kit down to the water at palm beach in one go, but lugging it all back was an absolute mission after 15k and a hairy re-entry. C-tug makes it a bazillion times easier, can't believe how long it took me to get on board. :p

Paulioq
KFDU Angler

#9 Post by Paulioq » Mon May 21, 2018 9:27 pm

phew no photographic evidence :cool: I got up real quick and looked around then acted like I ment to do it :grin: that hatch on the stealth is brilliant the only reason I am picking one over the other is purly because of rod/fish storage

Return to “General Kayak and Fishing Questions”