Anyone done kayak fishing up near Armidale

Are you new to kayak fishing? Feel free to ask any questions here.

Anyone done kayak fishing up near Armidale

Postby ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:32 pm

Guys

Just a general inquiry.
Anyone been kayak fishing up Armidale way, and if so whats your experience or opinion of the place for yak fishing.
I have fished alot of salt and fresh but not in Armidale.
Have seen some articles online for general fishing in the area, but always like individual feedback.
I have a Hobie Outback so imagine with the mirage drive some fishing locations would be suitable and others not.
Any feedback greatly appreciated

Cheers Bones
ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Midcoast NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Outback

Re: Anyone done kayak fishing up near Armidale

Postby dirvin21 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:10 pm

only places I fish near Armidale are landbased for trout..... I have recently started doing some kayak fishing further west near
inverell..... not suitable for a mirage drive loads of submerged rocks that are difficult to see
PB: BASS: 47cm, SNAPPER: 62cm, TAILOR: 60cm, BREAM: 43cm, FLATHEAD: 65cm, GOLDEN PERCH: 52cm, JEW: 33cm

NSW NORTH COAST KAYAK FISHING CLUB
dirvin21
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Nambucca Heads
Kayaks: sit-on fisherman

Postby stitcho » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:05 am

Not a lot of kayakable water up here at the best of times. Dumaresq dam not far out of town has lots of small redfin and the odd big rainbow. Apart from that, if you don't mind a drive there's Copeton or Pindari dams. Pretty dry up here at the moment though.
stitcho
KFDU Angler

Postby Yakal » Fri May 18, 2018 6:29 pm

Best bet for Armidale area in a Kayak would be on the Macleay river chasing bass. A few ways to get there, head toward Bellingen and then take the Point Lookout out turn off I think, its a nice drive once you hit the dirt. If you've got a 4x4 look for a fire trail called Raspberry rd and head down it, it's been years since I've been down there however so not sure on the road condition. You are probably looking at an hour or more from Armidale.
Yakal
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: sydney

Postby ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:47 pm

Yakal wrote:Best bet for Armidale area in a Kayak would be on the Macleay river chasing bass. A few ways to get there, head toward Bellingen and then take the Point Lookout out turn off I think, its a nice drive once you hit the dirt. If you've got a 4x4 look for a fire trail called Raspberry rd and head down it, it's been years since I've been down there however so not sure on the road condition. You are probably looking at an hour or more from Armidale.

thanks for the feedback.
ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:48 pm

Yakal wrote:Best bet for Armidale area in a Kayak would be on the Macleay river chasing bass. A few ways to get there, head toward Bellingen and then take the Point Lookout out turn off I think, its a nice drive once you hit the dirt. If you've got a 4x4 look for a fire trail called Raspberry rd and head down it, it's been years since I've been down there however so not sure on the road condition. You are probably looking at an hour or more from Armidale.

Thanks for the feedback, will look at yak and land based fishing options.
Could always do the 2 and a bit hour drive to Coffs Harbour and yak fish there on weekends also.

Cheers Bones
ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby 62woollybugger » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:06 pm

You don't go as far as Point L.O. turnoff, you take the Kempsy Rd, just before Wollomombi. This will take you down to the Macleay at Georges Junction camp ground. The Rasberry Rd (built by my grandfather) turns off the Kempsy Rd, but there is no general public access to the river. The only access down there that I know of are at East & West Kunderang stations. East Kunderang is now owned by NSW NPWS & the house can be rented through them. West Kunderang is still a private farm, but has a lot of campsites available. http://www.westkunderang.com.au/
If you head down to the coast, during Bass season you only need to go as far as Thora at the bottom of the mountain to the Bellinger river, or for salt water, Urunga is the closest spot.
62woollybugger
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Mid North Coast
Kayaks: Tarpon 120, Australis Bass

Postby arpie » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:18 pm

OR ..... come to Forster instead! :wink: Not as cold & not as far to travel!!! I reckon we'd have some fun!! :gu:

Let me know if you ever head this way! :lek:

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Return to General Kayak and Fishing Questions