How do you store your catch?

Are you new to kayak fishing? Feel free to ask any questions here.

How do you store your catch?

Postby Brenda5 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:03 pm

Newbie to yaking and ocean fishing too unless its a little whiting caught. Question is where do you put your catch? Does it need to be on ice? I have just been opening the hatch and pelting my little fish caught in the bottom where its fairly cool and tilting the yak up to get them out when I get home. Is that good enough or should I have an soft esky bag in the bottom with ice in it? What if I catch something I have to bleed? If you think these are girlie questions its because I am one.
:lol:
Brenda5
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Burrum Heads, Qld
Kayaks: Dragon Pro Fisher kayak

Re: How do you store your catch?

Postby labrat » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:18 pm

This question comes up from all sorts of people and there are many options. You'll probably get a variety of replies - you just need to go through them and pick what suits you best.

I tend to go out for relatively short sessions so I just use a wet bag. Kept out of direct sun and dunked in the water occasionally it is adequate for this situation. Doesn't really matter what it's made of as long as it's strong enough not to split when dunking the catch.
labrat
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Adelaide
Kayaks: Laker 13 S&G, Curlew SOF, cedar strip own design

Postby FishnDive » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:54 pm

Yep as Labrat said you will probably get a range of replies. For me it depends on the time of year and how long I'll be on the water. Shorter early morning sessions fish just go in the fish hatch until I get back to the launch to fillet them. For longer days, I have a couple of water bottles that live in the bait freezer that get thrown in the hatch with the catch, they will slowly melt during the day without the mess of an ice slurry. After the session the bottles get washed off and back in the freezer for the next day. During summer I'll use an insulated catch bag inside the hatch with the bottles.
In terms of bleeding the catch it depends on the species, for tuna, flake etc its essential but for bread and butter species like flatties whiting and snapper an ike jime spike and into the catch catch bag seems to do the trick fine.

Victorian dealer for Stealth Performance Products & Lockrack
FishnDive
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Port Philip Bay, Western Port, Vic
Kayaks: Stealth Fisha 460 Toura 17 Pinnacle Elite

Postby nigel » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:29 pm

labrat wrote:This question comes up from all sorts of people and there are many options. You'll probably get a variety of replies - you just need to go through them and pick what suits you best.

I tend to go out for relatively short sessions so I just use a wet bag. Kept out of direct sun and dunked in the water occasionally it is adequate for this situation. Doesn't really matter what it's made of as long as it's strong enough not to split when dunking the catch.

Me too a cotton bag works for me I’m usually on & off the water b4 it gets real hot

Nigel
ImageImage
nigel
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: sydney & surrounding areas
Kayaks: dag midway, Cobra expedition , DD3 max ski

Postby LODO » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:15 pm

I have an insulated catch bag (big one!), and usually have a couple of towels in there.

Once something is caught, I dunk a towel, wrap the fish in the towel and into the bag. Typically I continue to remind myself to "refresh" the towel frequently when I am on the water. A typical day for me is from 0600 to 1300 ... and in Townsville ... you get a bit of sun on you.

There is potential for me to throw in an ice bag ... but truthfully ... I don't want to spend the $$$ on the rough chance I will catch something.

If I catch something fairly decent ... the trip ends and I head in.

My catch-bag sits on the tramps of my yak ... I don't bother having it inside the hull ... I like it to be close and handy when the action hits.

Bleeding a fish ... done right, it's all taken care of in 60 seconds or less ... so for me ... I move away from where I am fishing, bleed the fish and make it tidy ... then wrap it in the bag again.

It's a pretty simple process.
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Hobie Tandem Island beefcake.

Postby arpie » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:29 pm

Hi Brenda

I've just got a small bag that I hand over the rod holder (and it sits in the water) it has a a very fine mesh & water goes thru it nicely -so they are getting fresh clean cool water thru their gills all the time. I keep my fish alive until I am back at the ramp & if I only have the one, I let it go (unless it will feed both of us.) If I have a couple, I despatch them then (take of the head & gut cavity in one motion! Cut down behind the head & then turn the blade LEFT to take out the gut cavity to the #@! vent.) Then I take them home to fillet them.

You would need to be extra careful as you have 'big critters' up your way that may take a liking to something hanging over the side, or be attracted to blood in the water from 'bleeding it'! ...... I wouldn't be cutting any fish up offshore if I were you!! :beye:

SOOOO ... Storing them in a 'Cool Bag' would probably be the way to go. You could just take a couple of frozen 'Ice Bricks' with you, in the assumption you WILL catch something to bring home .... if you don't - it doesn't matter - just whack them back in the freezer for the next trip!! The Cool Bag WILL take on the odour of fish tho ..... so be prepared to leave it out in the sun in between trips - or it will stink your garage out!!

Wetting the towel like Lodo does is another trick ..... it should help keep the fish cool ..... you could also bleed it into the towel & wash it when you get home, if you REALLY want to bleed it out there .....

And only keep enough for 1 or 2 feeds .... then you have a good excuse to go out again! :lek:

Have fun

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby NorthSIKer » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:26 pm

A couple of frozen 1.25 litre soft drink bottles in an insulated deck bag.

Good insulated deck bags are hard to get (and expensive). Mine is ok but not the greatest. I think the Hobie and Reliable Fishing Products - both made with closed cell foam - would be the best but super expensive.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby XDCammer » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:54 am

Like NorthSIKer, I have one of these and store it in the front hatch with a few frozen 600ml coke bottles. This keeps the catch nicely and I have a supply of fresh cold water too.

Precision Pak.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Time spent on reconnaissance is time never wasted.
XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Southern NSW
Kayaks: Adventure Island and Stealth Profisha 525

Postby Snapperpaddy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:51 pm

Snapper, mackerel, tuna are all bled out and I simply wet a 1/2 an old towel and place over the top, re wet when I think of it, fish remains surprisingly fresh for at least a couple of hours
Win Win, catch a fish, happy days, the chance of catching a bloody big fish, even happier days
Snapperpaddy
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Mid north coast
Kayaks: Tarpon 120, & Tarpon 100, Fisha 460

Return to General Kayak and Fishing Questions