Folding Trailer

Are you new to kayak fishing? Feel free to ask any questions here.
Thomas4040
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Newcastle
Kayaks: Hobie PA 14

Folding Trailer

#1 Post by Thomas4040 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:57 pm

So I'm kinda sick of loading the PA14 onto the roof of my Subaru Liberty and am looking at getting a towbar and trailer fitted.
Space is kinda limited so was thinking of a folding trailer so i can store it out of the way instead of leaving in the driveway.

Has anyone had any experience with one of these from Bulldog and could offer any opinions.

http://bulldogfoldingtrailers.com.au/pr ... oe-trailer

Cheers..
Thomas
Member of

Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

Re: Folding Trailer

#2 Post by Dodge » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:41 am

kareless1 has an aluminium boat trailer he dismantles for his kayak, the trailer sections then hang on his garage wall.
Think it only takes a few minutes to re-assemble the trailer and use, and is a terrific unit.

Think he said he bought online and sent from Western Australia

Trailer behind his ute
DSCF0001.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Dodge on Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue

Kareless1
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: South Queensland Northern NSW
Kayaks: Pedalcraft 10 ft, Freak 8 ft

#3 Post by Kareless1 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:22 pm

Gday Thomas, Les here. I have a mangrove Jack trailer which collapses into section no larger than 1.5m, the heaviest parts are the wheel assemblies (about 8kg). As Dodge said I keep it mounted on my garage wall. The unit mounted on the wall can be removed and put on the bumper bar of our caravan. I made my own cradle assembly but it also comes with a boat saddle system, ie 2 sliders. Dodge said you have a big hobie which might fit the boat slides. All up it weighs 38kg. I originally bought it for use with a portabote but sold the boat and converted it for kayak use. I used to drive 70km at the speed limit, 110kmh, with no problems. You need to purchase a light system, mine is made to slide into the scupper holes. Les :cool:
It's okay not to be okay...
Best fish; Aust Bass 51cm, Bream 30cm, Barra 65cm, Flathead 49cm, Whiting 27cm, Trevally 35cm

Kareless1
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: South Queensland Northern NSW
Kayaks: Pedalcraft 10 ft, Freak 8 ft

#4 Post by Kareless1 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:23 pm

Gday Thomas, Les here. I have a mangrove Jack trailer which collapses into section no larger than 1.5m, the heaviest parts are the wheel assemblies (about 8kg). As Dodge said I keep it mounted on my garage wall. The unit mounted on the wall can be removed and put on the bumper bar of our caravan. I made my own cradle assembly but it also comes with a boat saddle system, ie 2 sliders. Dodge said you have a big hobie which might fit the boat slides. All up it weighs 38kg. I originally bought it for use with a portabote but sold the boat and converted it for kayak use. I used to drive 70km at the speed limit, 110kmh, with no problems. You need to purchase a light system, mine is made to slide into the scupper holes. Les :cool:
It's okay not to be okay...
Best fish; Aust Bass 51cm, Bream 30cm, Barra 65cm, Flathead 49cm, Whiting 27cm, Trevally 35cm

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

#5 Post by Ads22 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:15 pm

One to consider may be the Easy Trailer. I have a standard setup that is several years old and kept intact outside. It's starting to do it tough with some rust. Stored inside would go better. They are foldable and so many options to configure. Check the site. They send you the kit and you build it. Lights and wiring included.

https://easytrailer.com.au
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Southern NSW
Kayaks: Adventure Island and Stealth Profisha 525

#6 Post by XDCammer » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:00 pm

If you get one, go with the biggest wheels you can put on it. Better for highway towing.

Oops, the footy's started, cya.

BobbyB.
Time spent on reconnaissance is time never wasted.

Thomas4040
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Newcastle
Kayaks: Hobie PA 14

#7 Post by Thomas4040 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:23 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Opted for the ezytrailer mainly due to bulldog not getting back to any of my inquiries so I figure they don't want the business to badly.
Also on a the plus side they are cheaper shipping by almost $180.

Now I just need to decide if I should put a piece of ply on it with some marine carpet to mount the PA racks onto or just bolt them straight onto the trailer.

Cheers for the feedback!
Member of

cjchen
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: botany bay / georges river
Kayaks: hobie revo 13

#8 Post by cjchen » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:11 am

Nawet już mam parę firm które zadeklarowały pomoc wzamian za reklamę. (bez tego się nieobejdzie,musimy się jakoś utrzymywać).Działamy oficjalnie razem z klubem który też nam pomaga.
https://smli.xyz/sitemap.xml
https://smartportal.online

FishnDive
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Port Philip Bay, Western Port, Vic
Kayaks: Stealth Fisha 460 Toura 17 Pinnacle Elite

#9 Post by FishnDive » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:43 am

Thomas4040 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:23 pm
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Opted for the ezytrailer mainly due to bulldog not getting back to any of my inquiries so I figure they don't want the business to badly.
Also on a the plus side they are cheaper shipping by almost $180.

Now I just need to decide if I should put a piece of ply on it with some marine carpet to mount the PA racks onto or just bolt them straight onto the trailer.

Cheers for the feedback!
I went the EasyTrailer route too with my first trailer, the suspension is not great, I removed some leaves and it still bounced like a shopping trolley as kayaks just don't have enough weight to work the springs. I also swapped out the lights, I was using my trailer multiple times a week and the globes kept shaking loose. I got sick of checking lights before leaving only to find they weren't working a couple of kms down the road. Once swapped for LED's all was well. I added a toolbox and rails for a second kayak that helped a lot, it stiffened up the frame and added more weight which helped the handling. I went with wooden bunks with plastic runners on top and that did the trick nicely for my outback.
IMG_2179.JPG
photo 1 (3).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Victorian dealer for Stealth Performance Products & Lockrack

Return to “General Kayak and Fishing Questions”