battery size

Are you new to kayak fishing? Feel free to ask any questions here.

battery size

Postby aza23q » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:13 pm

i am looking into buyin a electric motor for my yak probably a watersnake 24lb model and wonderin wat size battery would get me out of trouble i also have a garmin echo 100 that i wanna run too
aza23q
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: nepean,blue mountains
Kayaks: 2.8m eBay yak, 2014 pa14

Re: battery size

Postby bidkev » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:45 pm

The Garmin is negligible. The general (rough) consensus is that leccy motors draw one amp per lb, so a 24lb at full throttle would pull 24amps per hr. Lower throttle is considerably less, so if you're only trolling, you'd get more amps per hr. If you only want to run at full for a couple of hrs, then a 60amp would be OK but you'd begin to (visibly) slow after running for around 90 mins. I run a 110 on my 28 and it lasts me 10 hrs or more travelling at full and trolling on 1 or 2.
See my fishy photography here: http://www.bidkev.com/fish.php Digital copies free to KFDU members
bidkev
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Bisbane
Kayaks: Viking Tempo Fisherman, Sevylor Colorado inflatable, Malibu Mini

Postby I am pegasus » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:50 am

Get yourself an AGM battery as they can be charged quicker plus you can pull more amp's from them then a deep cycle. Just remember that you can only use hjalf of the stated amp's of a battery ie 100amp battery you can use 50 amps of it, using more then that will shorten the battery life very quickly. AGM you can take down to approx 40% of battery so you could use 60amps from a 100amp battery.

Size of battery is simple the biggest (amp's) you can afford and fit and carry on your kayak.

Cheers
I am pegasus
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sewer

Postby I am pegasus » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:50 am

Get yourself an AGM battery as they can be charged quicker plus you can pull more amp's from them then a deep cycle. Just remember that you can only use half of the stated amp's of a battery ie 100amp battery you can use 50 amps of it, using more then that will shorten the battery life very quickly. AGM you can take down to approx 40% of battery so you could use 60amps from a 100amp battery.

Size of battery is simple the biggest (amp's) you can afford and fit and carry on your kayak.

Cheers
I am pegasus
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sewer

Postby Whib » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:12 am

They tend to weigh a lot too i was surprised when i picked up the 26 amp for my 18 lb water snake decided to get two 26 amp to make it easier to carry them around one at a time
Whib
Whib
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: brunswick heads northern nsw
Kayaks: BCF Lifetime Angler

Postby Steve R » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:00 pm

Have a look under the heading "How much current does the motor draw?" on the website below:

http://bassyaks.com/what-are-bassyaks/f-a-q-s/
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau
Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Eden and thereabouts
Kayaks: Hurricane Skimmer; Racing TK1 (Mr Tippy).

Postby Plakkyboat » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Hi Aza,

I have a Watersnake 24lb thrust and use a Century 100Ah Deep Cycle in a 1 person sit in kayak which converts to a 2 person kayak and whilst the battery is fairly heavy, the kayak and the motor can handle the weight without any problems either as a 1 or 2 persons setup fully loaded with either 1 or 2 persons added. The advantage of the heavy battery sitting on the (actual) floor of the yak either in the front or rear passenger section (conveniently between the knees) is that the lower centre of gravity (partially below the water line) seems to enhance the yak's stability.

The motor is attached at the side of my yak just behind the paddling circle but easily accessible to lift or adjust. I lock it the motor in the straight forward position and use the built in foot controlled rudder system in my yak to steer. Also I made a support bracket for the motor with a hinged piece for the motor clamps. That setup allows the motor to flip forward rather than snap off, bend or possibly worse if I hit a snag or whatever.

I prefer the concept of the ability to run the Deep Cycle flat without harming the stability and life of the battery. Having said that, I always have power left over after an outing which I prefer as opposed to falling short. Space, location, specific needs of use plus the weight factor will ultimately influence your final decision especially if you have a sit on top yak. I use a suitable amp size smart charger that cost me around $150 at Supercheap Auto and leave it hooked up to (the switched) on charger 24/7 between outings.

Hope this helps.
Paul.
Last edited by Plakkyboat on Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
Cheers -- Paul
My first true love was the Sea. After threescore spins around the Sun...she's still there...as my mistress — Plakkyboat Image
Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Burnett Coastal & Rivers
Kayaks: Wedded to "Glass" + a bit of "Plastic" on the side

Postby Bassifier » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:21 pm

I run a 38 ah AGM and if just used for manoeuvring, it'll easily last the day.
Bassifier
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sydney

Postby aza23q » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:52 pm

ok thanks guys u have given me food for thought still deciding wether i should put a motor on or just rig up a rudder system as my main use of my yak while be in rivers although a motor would be handy the time it takes to set up wen i get to the river is time i could already be on the water
aza23q
KFDU Angler

Postby Plakkyboat » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:50 am

Hi Aza, It takes me all of 5 to 10 minutes fit the motor and battery to my yak each time. Not a big deal unless you are planning other activities on the same day or you have a very large 'bucket list' to get through. Try leaving home a bit earlier. As for the end of the day, I always tell the 'cheese and kisses' that I'll be home by dark because the mozzies and sandflies want the river back.
Paul.
Cheers -- Paul
My first true love was the Sea. After threescore spins around the Sun...she's still there...as my mistress — Plakkyboat Image
Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

Postby aza23q » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:00 am

Plakkyboat wrote:Hi Aza, It takes me all of 5 to 10 minutes fit the motor and battery to my yak each time. Not a big deal unless you are planning other activities on the same day or you have a very large 'bucket list' to get through. Try leaving home a bit earlier. As for the end of the day, I always tell the 'cheese and kisses' that I'll be home by dark because the mozzies and sandflies want the river back.
Paul.

thanks paul i haven ruled one out yet just dont know how to go about it how did u mount ur motor and wat material did you use? i have sort of an idea but just cant picture how to do it dont wanna add too much weight to the yak
aza23q
KFDU Angler

Postby Plakkyboat » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:08 pm

Hi Aza, I used a 20mm thick Meranti timber plank (can be bought at Bunnings) cut to size with a 4 inch aluminium hinge for the flexible folding part. I think you need to Google your way through Youtube and use the search facility in this KDFU site to find a variety of ideas but specifically ideas relating to your brand and model of kayak with the type of modification you require.

For a start my kayak is a sit-in and the setup may be fairly different to what would suit your kayak especially if it is a sit on top kayak. Check out my posts here and the following link if you want to see my setup http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj499/Plakkyboat/Yak%20Modifications/

If weight is your issue then the battery choice is probably your main concern. Mounting at the rear or the side is another thing to consider. Good luck and let me know if there are any other questions I may be able to answer but if you post your specific questions to other people here in these forums, I am sure the answers and solutions will be plentiful.

Paul
Cheers -- Paul
Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

Postby aza23q » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:51 pm

just checked out ur link must say u have a fine bit of equipment looks like it could handle just about anything my yak is a sit on top weight isn much of a problem it is rated to 250kg and im just under triple figures unfortunately for me i have a brand of kayak that im yet to find another person has wen funds become available ill just but the neccesary parts and see if i can wing it would u recommend doin. a rudder system as well to assist steering or is motor capable of doin it
aza23q
KFDU Angler

Postby Plakkyboat » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:38 pm

Hi Aza, Sorry for taking so long to reply. Busy busy busy and that's life. I recommend using a rudder as it leaves you the freedom with your hands to do other things whilst you let your feet do the steering. I just lock my motor into a position that sets my kayak on a straight path and use the foot steering to direct me wherever.

Suggestion: Why don't you post some relevant photos of your beast so others here on this forum and I can see how it is moulded and make some suggestions. You will be surprised and amazed at the ingenuity that some people show when it comes to modifying their kayaks and on this forum there is no shortage of like minded enthusiasts who are willing to assist wherever they can. Paul.
Cheers -- Paul
Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

Postby SteveK » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:05 am

I know it's been a while, but we have been playing with Lithium Ion batteries, they're expensive but if you serious about your fishing well worth it.
With a 14' Hobie Pro Angler with a 55 thrust Bassyaks kit on it , was put into a tidal river, turned on full throttle in a straight line ran 8 miles by GPS and ran for 2.5 hours, drop that to 1/2 speed and the mileage should double. The batteries are around $600 us and weigh 17 lbs. check out Relion Batteries
SteveK
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Connecticut

Return to General Kayak and Fishing Questions