Newbie question about surf paddlin'

Are you new to kayak fishing? Feel free to ask any questions here.
Battler
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Malibu Pro Explorer

Newbie question about surf paddlin'

#1 Post by Battler » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:08 pm

Hey all,

Just interested in what everyones technique is for coming back into shore in the surf.
I have a Malibu Pro Explorer that's almost 13ft long, super stable and is absolutely incredible for going out through the surf (at least in comparison to my old cheapo).
But I've had issues with getting back to shore, I seem to dig the nose in and flip the whole boat every time a big barrel sneaks up behind me.
Is the solution to get a new seat that holds tighter? Or is there a special way to paddle or some secret to not getting salt in the face and a kayak to the back of the head?

Cheers

Kurt
About as useful as mudguards on a tortoise.

Seeker
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: gold coast

Re: Newbie question about surf paddlin'

#2 Post by Seeker » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:20 pm

watching this....
been more arse than class with me, no formal training and just making it up as i go. Be good to hear from those with experience.

frankie

GlassedOff
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: SE Qld, or anywhere I can hook a fish :)
Kayaks: Hobie revo13, Stealth profisha525

#3 Post by GlassedOff » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:22 pm

I'm far from an expert but maybe pick the sets a bit better and wait for the smaller waves sounds like you're getting smashed as it curls over, i wait out the back and watch the sets then try to pick the smallest wave set and i don't start paddling until i know that last big one before the small wave has passed me and is on its way in thats when I chase the back of that big wave, paddle like hell and don't stop paddling you don't wanna have those waves curling over the back of your yak or be on the face of the wave as it stands up as thats when it pitchpoles you I've had it happen once so far and its not a fun experience :lol: lost my car keys that day :cry: hope that is a start to helping ya, if not maybe try getting to an offshore session with the palmy boys they're a great bunch and always willing to help and pass on their knowledge to a newbie....
Chris
PB's so far from yak
Spottie mackerel 85cm
Spanish mackerel 130cm
Longtail Tuna 120cm
Mangrove jack 31cm
Estuary cod 48cm
bream 38cm Bream on fly 25cm
Squire 63cm
flattie 58cm
impoundment Bass 33cm fl
Bass on fly-37cm fl
Mulloway 85cm
Spangled Emperor 70cm
Cobia 118cm

yaqdoq
2012 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: East of Oz
Kayaks: 495 Evo

#4 Post by yaqdoq » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:30 pm

What makes your yak so good is what limits you coming in through surf - the hard chines / rails .
Once your yak turns sideways the beach side rail will dig in and you will flip .
The only chance you have in my opinion is to sneak in as close as you dare behind the breakers then paddle hard on the back of a wave , crossing the impact zone in its foam/whitewater and the moment another foamy comes up behind you , throw the legs either side to work as breaks together with the paddle allowing it to pass under you then immediately resume paddling to shore .

or

if shallow enough jump out and hang on to the back , lifting the rear slightly while holding ground allowing the wave to pas under the yak and proceed to walk it in to shore ( very effective for shorebreak where mishaps cause a lot of damage : sand , shallow , dumping little wave ... etc.)

Practice the first method for fun without anything in the yak and remember to lean as hard as you dare to the wave side once your yak starts to broach . Make sure you have enough water depth that you do not trap your leg on the shore side of the yak . its not foolproof but does give you the highest chance of surviving the whitewater .

My 2c

Battler
KFDU Angler

#5 Post by Battler » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:43 pm

Will try to take all advice into consideration.

Have already kind of been doing what yaqdoq and glassedoff said, waiting out the back for a big one and kind of chasing it in to theoretically put some distance between me and the next sizeable one.
This was on the surf side of Bribie last weekend where the south easterly winds were making it surprisingly rough. Swell was at least 2m in some parts, probably higher.
I was finding the surf zone was so wide because of the weather, that even when I timed it the best I could, I'd still get nailed by another one before I could get anywhere near the shallows :beye:
We were paddling baits out, so went in and out about 4 times and got nailed every time on the way back in.
Is there any secret to not flipping when you do find yourself with your bum facing a big wave? or is it more paddle hard, lean back and pray :lol:

Really appreciating all the input.

CAV
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Deception Bay/ Redcliffe / Bribie Island
Kayaks: Bandit 550 Fisha Profisha 525

#6 Post by CAV » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:46 am

I think your problem is you're trying to catch waves you probably shouldn't trying to catch or you are catching them wrong.

Most waves at the south end of bribie tend to be dumpers, they come from relatively deepwater and just jack up when it gets nice and shallow close to shore, so they aren't the best to be trying to surf because the majority of times they will send you for a swim.

My advice would be to take off on an angle like a surfer would as this takes a bit of the steepness out of the wave and learn to pick the areas where the waves aren't dumping (if the waves are dumping there will be stirred up sand in the water) but spilling and use these areas to come in.

dru
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Balmain Sydney
Kayaks: Zegul 550 (SIK), Stealth Profisha 475, Carbonology Vault (Racing Ski)

#7 Post by dru » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:38 pm

1. The method Yaqdog suggests of swimming in holding the tail. This is always a backup for me, especially if waves are dumping close to shore.

2. Don't know if this link will work, but here's hoping. Skim read down to "side surfing".

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs08 ... 24050.html

Basically most fishing yaks broach readily in waves, more so in surf. So this pushes you side on to the wave. Get your paddle out into that wave to balance and lean on it (brace). You simply ride the white into the beach. Try it on small stuff.

With these techniques, follow a set in, a recent wave means you have more water depth, a paddle as far as you can before the next one gets you. Allow the broach and brace through to the sand. If this doesn't look comfortable, return holding the tail.

The other thing to note... Always have a B plan. If your exit point gets gnarly, make sure there is somewhere you can paddle to that is protected.
If something is worth doing, do it to excess.

richo23
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Hervey Bay
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11 Hobie Quest 11 Mirage 583 Freeride

#8 Post by richo23 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:44 pm

Some great reading in that article Dru,thanks for finding it.I'm sure many will get a lot from it.
Cheers Richo.

Seeker
KFDU Angler

#9 Post by Seeker » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:08 pm

thanks dru...interesting read
im sure theres others like me that now have been out a few times and can start to relate these lessons to real life surf.

Battler
KFDU Angler

#10 Post by Battler » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:20 pm

Awesome article dru, taken plenty of lessons away from that one, also learned the name for what I was doing, Pearl Diving :roll:

Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Vortex VTX 560

#11 Post by Jamie D » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:04 am

Battler wrote:

Just interested in what everyones technique is for coming back into shore in the surf.
First I get vertical , then I bury the nose of the kayak , then as I get so vertical I'm standing on the foot chocks , I swear , then I land hard in the water and start to tumble through the white wash , then I get paranoid as I'm tumbling through the white wash where my 5 metre kayak is in relation to my head , the I get salt water forced down my throat by the force of the wave , then I come up check to see if me mates are watching , then if they are I walk back to beach with my paddle trying to look cool calm and collected .

Seeker
KFDU Angler

#12 Post by Seeker » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:27 am

Jamie D wrote:
Battler wrote:

First I get vertical , then I bury the nose of the kayak , then as I get so vertical I'm standing on the foot chocks , I swear , then I land hard in the water and start to tumble through the white wash , then I get paranoid as I'm tumbling through the white wash where my 5 metre kayak is in relation to my head , the I get salt water forced down my throat by the force of the wave , then I come up check to see if me mates are watching , then if they are I walk back to beach with my paddle trying to look cool calm and collected .[/quote

and here i was thinking i was doing it wrong...

Return to “General Kayak and Fishing Questions”