Best way to present a live bait in a fast flowing river?

Are you new to kayak fishing? Feel free to ask any questions here.
coattail rider
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Nowra
Kayaks: mini x, revo 13

Best way to present a live bait in a fast flowing river?

#1 Post by coattail rider » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:55 am

Currently ive been targeting jewfish in the shoalhaven on plastics and getting the odd hit but as of yet no captures. I was thinking about trying to drift a live mullet but dont know what rig to use on a fairly fast flowing river. any advice would be appreciated
Kayak PBs

Spotted Mack 87cm ,Murray cod 73cm,Trout Cod 35cm, Snapper 65cm, Mangrove Jack 54cm, Kingfish 74cm, Sooty Grunter 40cm, A. salmon 58cm, Bream 38cm, Flathead 70cm, GT 50cm, Jewfish 60cm, Yellowbelly 55cm, Bass 45cm (to the fork), Estuary Perch 50cm, Tailor 62cm, Squid 45cm, Redfin 36cm, Flounder 37cm, Mac Tuna 38cm, Macquarie Perch 33cm, Rainbow trout 47cm,Bonito 47cm Albatross 75cm (wingspan!)

muzza111
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: kiama to ulladulla
Kayaks: lime green OK prowler 4.3

Re: Best way to present a live bait in a fast flowing river?

#2 Post by muzza111 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:39 pm

I've dragged live tailor around Greenwell point before. I used a running ball sinker on the mainline then a swivel to short flouro leader. 2 hook rig, top one snelled about 20cm above the bottom hook. The top hook (towing point) goes through the nostrils sideways, the bottom hook high in the back to avoid the spine. Keep enough slack in the second hook so the bait can swim properly. Make sure you use hooks with no offset or the bait will spin. Baits stayed alive for hours, except when I dragged one against an extremely fast section of current at the "bream hole" just downstream of the crookhaven heads wharf. If I was fishing at anchor I'd use the same rig.

http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/download/file.php?id=97963

If you're drifting a ball sinker running down to a single hook through the back should go alright, but if you're not moving with the bait it will spin and die quickly.
Yak PB's Kingfish 81cm Snapper 67cm Bream 37cm Groper 52cm Flathead 52cm

coattail rider
KFDU 2000 Club

#3 Post by coattail rider » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:27 pm

thanks mate.. i was thinking along the lines of a three way swivel with a sinker on the bottom and the livebait on a dropper about 3 feet up from the bottom on the swivel...that way the sinker can drag along the bottom but the baits suspended a bit.

Your idea might be better
Kayak PBs

Spotted Mack 87cm ,Murray cod 73cm,Trout Cod 35cm, Snapper 65cm, Mangrove Jack 54cm, Kingfish 74cm, Sooty Grunter 40cm, A. salmon 58cm, Bream 38cm, Flathead 70cm, GT 50cm, Jewfish 60cm, Yellowbelly 55cm, Bass 45cm (to the fork), Estuary Perch 50cm, Tailor 62cm, Squid 45cm, Redfin 36cm, Flounder 37cm, Mac Tuna 38cm, Macquarie Perch 33cm, Rainbow trout 47cm,Bonito 47cm Albatross 75cm (wingspan!)

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#4 Post by arpie » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:19 pm

"Flathead Fred'' from the 70s was famous for his live bait rig for BIG flatties in fast flowing estuaries ....... I remember that he used 2 quite serious weights/sinkers & an 'underwater' float (to keep the live bait up in the water column) and a longish leader to the live bait ........ I can remember seeing the 'rig' somewhere, but can't find it now! :?:

Here's one that would be comparable tho .... the fish would swim into the current .... no need to have it in the 'fastest' water tho ... it would wear it out too quickly!
THis is a 'catfish' rig - but should work! :wink:
Live Bait Float Rig.jpg
It should still work on jewies! You can either use the 3 way swivel, or I reckon the 'running' rig with the swivel 'stopper' would be the way to go - cos if a jewie or massive flattie approaches - you will see the fish getting nervous & making a run for it (have 'loose' line going to the live bait (or use a Bait Runner reel to allow it to run.)

Good luck!

Roberta
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

coattail rider
KFDU 2000 Club

#5 Post by coattail rider » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:26 pm

Arpie..thats exactly the kind of thing i was thinking of.. the yanks have special drift sinkers that work well with the rig but a simple snapper lead or similar might work too. thankyou
Kayak PBs

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#6 Post by arpie » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:51 pm

......thats exactly the kind of thing i was thinking of......

Cool! You could even have 2 weights on the bottom about 30cm apart - to add extra 'weight/dig in' for the 2nd one to prevent it moving more. Jewies (in the Forster Breakwall) tend to hang behind the protruding rocks for cover ...... and ambush stuff going past .... but if you had this off a drop-off somewhere - particularly if near a bridge pylon - the jewies would home into it .... & snaffle it

You could even have a 2nd smaller float/balloon (cos you don't want to cause more drag) off the swivel of the submerged one (going up on the surface - any length you like) - so you can REALLY SEE when the fish gets nervous & feeling scared ..... cos the float would suddenly start going left, right, wherever! :wink: The livie will still be able to pull line thru the running swivel rig - so long as you have slack line going to the live bait.

cheers

RP
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

Green Hornet
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: NSW South Coast Estuaries and Lakes
Kayaks: Outback

#7 Post by Green Hornet » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:16 am

I've used a set up similar to the one in Arpie's pic with the 2 swivels but without the float and its worked well for me in the past.
Use ball bearing swivels if fishing live mullet because those buggers love to swim in tight circles and will twist your leader to look like an old phone cord of you don't.
A jew will drop a bait as soon as it feels resistance, so with your main line not being directly connected to your sinker is a major bonus.

Jews don't really like strong current and I've only ever caught them fishing eddys. There if its not too deep I fish a live bait under a bobby cork with no sinker.

coattail rider
KFDU 2000 Club

#8 Post by coattail rider » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:52 pm

Green Hornet wrote:I've used a set up similar to the one in Arpie's pic with the 2 swivels but without the float and its worked well for me in the past.
Use ball bearing swivels if fishing live mullet because those buggers love to swim in tight circles and will twist your leader to look like an old phone cord of you don't.
A jew will drop a bait as soon as it feels resistance, so with your main line not being directly connected to your sinker is a major bonus.

Jews don't really like strong current and I've only ever caught them fishing eddys. There if its not too deep I fish a live bait under a bobby cork with no sinker.

im finding the jewies are holding near the pylons so i wanted to be able to slowly bring a bait through there. Going to try a night live bait session soon
Kayak PBs

Dinger
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Yamba
Kayaks: mariner 10

#9 Post by Dinger » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:56 pm

You wont find too many Jewfish in fast flowing water, if fishing fast flowing water hook your livies through the nose or they will die pretty quick.

coattail rider
KFDU 2000 Club

#10 Post by coattail rider » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:53 pm

Dinger wrote:You wont find too many Jewfish in fast flowing water, if fishing fast flowing water hook your livies through the nose or they will die pretty quick.
I've lost two there in the last week or so, seen several on the sounder and it's a well known jew spot

They're there
Kayak PBs

Green Hornet
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: NSW South Coast Estuaries and Lakes
Kayaks: Outback

#11 Post by Green Hornet » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:26 am

[quote="coattail rider"][/quote]
im finding the jewies are holding near the pylons so i wanted to be able to slowly bring a bait through there. Going to try a night live bait session soon

So you're looking at slow trolling them?
If that's the case, I'd just slide a suitable weight lead on your main line to a swivel, then about 1 or 1.5m of leader and hook the mullet through the top lip.
Good luck.

coattail rider
KFDU 2000 Club

#12 Post by coattail rider » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:25 am

More drifting with the current
Kayak PBs

Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Vortex VTX 560

#13 Post by Jamie D » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:57 pm

Swim like Micky phelps upstream with rod in your teeth

coattail rider
KFDU 2000 Club

#14 Post by coattail rider » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:45 pm

Jamie D wrote:Swim like Micky phelps upstream with rod in your teeth
Oh dear
Kayak PBs

Return to “General Kayak and Fishing Questions”