Barra tours - not kayak based

Are you new to kayak fishing? Feel free to ask any questions here.
nessmonster
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Lake Mac, Newcastle, Hunter
Kayaks: 2016 Hobie Outback

Barra tours - not kayak based

#1 Post by nessmonster » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:24 pm

Thinking about doing a tour up in the top end somewhere for barra and northern species. Looking for something a bit different. I like the idea of of a packaged thing where meals and everything is included but there are a few options out there and with them being pretty pricey I want a good one. Just wondering if people have had some personal experience on such tours and can offer some advice?
Probably looking to go at the end of the year or maybe wait till may/April for the most active season.
Member of

Yak PBs Flathead: 54cm, tailor: 48cm, bream: 36.5cm, Aus Salmon 72cm, Trevally: 37cm, Cod: low 30s
Yak goals: plate size snapper, kingfish, Aus bass.

Oldtimer
Club Co-ordinator
Local Fishing Region: Lower Hunter
Kayaks: Hobie revo

Re: Barra tours - not kayak based

#2 Post by Oldtimer » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:11 pm

Just be aware that there is no guarantee ,that you will catch anything.

I have had three different experiences. One half day at Cairns, a whole day out of Darwin and a four day trip out of Dundee Beach NT.

While the experience was fun on each occasion , the fishing side of things left much to be desired.

I hope that you have better luck than me , if you go.

As the saying goes " you'll never know if you never ever go". Or something like that.

Missin Fishin
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: ACT
Kayaks: Tarpon 120

#3 Post by Missin Fishin » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:59 pm

I'd escho oldtimer somewhat. Have friends up there and have done a few trips, no full package though, just day trips.

If you go a very remote and 'switched on' tour (but usually VERY expensive) there is usually a better chance of it being quite good. Call the operators first about times of year. As oldtimer said, while the fishing is generally better, people sometimes don't realise that they have slow times as well, where you're lucky to catch one barra etc. Luck plays a part in 'off season', I'd talk to operators (have your BS meter on high) and try go around april.

Your idea of paying more for an 'outside the box' /darwin and back in a day or two experience is the way to go IMO if you can afford it. May cost more, but likely more fun and potentially more fish.

nessmonster
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Lake Mac, Newcastle, Hunter
Kayaks: 2016 Hobie Outback

#4 Post by nessmonster » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:54 pm

Thanks for the response guys. I've done the cheap charter thing before (not up there) and we caught plenty of fish but was very underwhelming. I'm after a proper experience in a very remote place. I'm looking at tours where a small plane trip to an island off the coast for a multi day trip. I know this sort of thing would be pretty expensive but if you're willing to go all the way up there why not make a proper experience out of it. I'm young, single and although I'm not on a huge wage being a teacher, money is there to be spent. I just want a cool adventure and as I can't get extended time off to do a big road trip with kayaks and I don't have a core group of friends with the similar interest I figured that this was the best way.
Member of

Yak PBs Flathead: 54cm, tailor: 48cm, bream: 36.5cm, Aus Salmon 72cm, Trevally: 37cm, Cod: low 30s
Yak goals: plate size snapper, kingfish, Aus bass.

Dinger
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Yamba
Kayaks: mariner 10

#5 Post by Dinger » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:01 am

Check out fishingterritory.com forum as theres some good stuff there.Having lived in th NT for 18 yrs I can tell you if you want to go in the middle of the year when comfortable for humans you may not raise a scale so later in the year or March /April is the go depending how the wet went.Alex Julius has a good setup at Maningrida where you can chase different species & you will catch fish also Darren Nichols runs a great setup, good luck you will have a ball.

Return to “General Kayak and Fishing Questions”