c-tug sandtrakz

Are you new to kayak fishing? Feel free to ask any questions here.

c-tug sandtrakz

Postby coattail rider » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:45 am

Just picked up on of these after having constant flat tyre issues with my hobie sand cart. Its great... goes from sand to concrete with no worries, and folds up into the revo front hatch in less than a minute. If youre sick of having to roll your yak on its side to put a scupper cart in, these are magic
Kayak PBs

Spotted Mack 87cm ,Murray cod 73cm,Trout Cod 35cm, Snapper 65cm, Mangrove Jack 54cm, Kingfish 63cm, Sooty Grunter 40cm, A. salmon 55cm, Bream 38cm, Flathead 70cm, GT 50cm, Jewfish 60cm, Yellowbelly 55cm, Bass 45cm (to the fork), Estuary Perch 41cm, Tailor 62cm, Squid 45cm, Redfin 36cm, Flounder 37cm, Mac Tuna 38cm, Macquarie Perch 33cm, Rainbow trout 47cm, Albatross 75cm (wingspan!)
coattail rider
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Nowra
Kayaks: mini x, revo 13

Re: c-tug sandtrakz

Postby NorthSIKer » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:03 pm

I'm thinking of picking up one of these. Would be particularly useful kayak camping to be able to just roll the fully loaded boat up the campsite in one (rather than tramping back and forth with bits of gear and than lastly an empty boat).

The sandtrakz wheels look the go - only thing is some say they are hard to pull on hard surfaces? How have you found it - hard sand, soft sand, gravel, grass, concrete, etc?

Also, would you be so kind as to give the outside diameter of the wheels (just want to see how they would fit in my hatches)?

Ta.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby Jamie D » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:48 am

Have you tried them in really soft sand Coat ? With a decent amount of weight on board ? I'm always open to new concepts but I really really struggle to imagine these carts match the balloon wheel carts on sand , hey I might be wrong I'd be interested to at least try them
Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525

Postby tonystott » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:46 pm

Over on the Hobiecat Island forum, username: stringy has become pretty much the world expert on Railblaza carts, and his tests relate to fully laden Adventure Islands, so his results are worst-case if applied to single hull kayaks.

This multi-page thread is a goldmine of knowledge
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopi ... 00#p283600
Tony Stott
2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM" with Hobie spinnaker
tonystott
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Forster, nsw
Kayaks: 2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM"

Postby Jamie D » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:18 pm

That looks impressive Tony , Very Impressive , I like the fact that it takes up less space than the big balloon wheels cart I've bought , Mine was a cheap knock off version of the Wheeleze carts from Annaconda and it's quite large and eats up a lot of space in my gear box on the the ute a smaller cart would be so good
Jamie D

Postby NorthSIKer » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:28 pm

tonystott wrote:Over on the Hobiecat Island forum, username: stringy has become pretty much the world expert on Railblaza carts, and his tests relate to fully laden Adventure Islands, so his results are worst-case if applied to single hull kayaks.

This multi-page thread is a goldmine of knowledge
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopi ... 00#p283600

Thanks tonystott - I found that thread a few days ago and great resource.

Reports seem to be pretty glowing for soft sand use (and I really like they are not pneumatic tyres and that the thing is easy to take apart and stow in the hatches of the boat).

Here in NQ our sand is generally firmer than SEQ (we have do have some areas with soft sand) but we have lots of beaches of coral rubble of various consistencies. I'm still keen to hear what others experience with these sandtrakz wheels has been on other surfaces and also off the beaches (E.g. on grass or concrete).
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby Whisky » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:03 pm

NorthSIKer wrote:I'm thinking of picking up one of these. Would be particularly useful kayak camping to be able to just roll the fully loaded boat up the campsite in one (rather than tramping back and forth with bits of gear and than lastly an empty boat).

The sandtrakz wheels look the go - only thing is some say they are hard to pull on hard surfaces? How have you found it - hard sand, soft sand, gravel, grass, concrete, etc?

Also, would you be so kind as to give the outside diameter of the wheels (just want to see how they would fit in my hatches)?

Ta.

Diameter is 30.5 cm and width is 9cm. They are quite big. You can just tie down the wheels on the rear, like your cooler bag in front. On soft sand, It feels like reducing the effort by 40% over a standard wheel (I have both). Absolutely not hard to pull on hard surface, maybe 10-20% more effort than standard wheel, an acceptable trade off. But I suspect that they won't last long if you take a long haul over hard surfaces regularly. So, they are great for Townsville where parking never far from the beach.

If needed, you can borrow mine for a test drive, maybe in return for a coffee at the government building.
Whisky
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Dorado II, RTM Disco, Hobie Maui

Postby Jamie D » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:15 pm

C Tug sand tracks cart on eBay $ 210 .00 delivered , and let's get real a largely unknown product obviously some happy customers like Coat tail but generally not a lot of feedback from people in the kayak community out there

Versus $98.00 delivered for the balloon wheels type sand cart on eBay , and loads and loads of happy regular users out there and lots of positive feedback on them available

Kinda self concludes really in my mind
Jamie D

Postby NorthSIKer » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:22 am

Whisky wrote:Diameter is 30.5 cm and width is 9cm. They are quite big. You can just tie down the wheels on the rear, like your cooler bag in front. On soft sand, It feels like reducing the effort by 40% over a standard wheel (I have both). Absolutely not hard to pull on hard surface, maybe 10-20% more effort than standard wheel, an acceptable trade off. But I suspect that they won't last long if you take a long haul over hard surfaces regularly. So, they are great for Townsville where parking never far from the beach.

If needed, you can borrow mine for a test drive, maybe in return for a coffee at the government building.

Thanks Whisky - that is the feedback I was interested in. I may take you up on the offer to test yours.

But Dominion coffee is better than the Govt. building :)
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby Whisky » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:04 pm

Really, I should go across the road more often. But today Bambini is having live music.
Whisky
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Dorado II, RTM Disco, Hobie Maui

Postby coattail rider » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:41 am

Jamie D wrote:Have you tried them in really soft sand Coat ? With a decent amount of weight on board ? I'm always open to new concepts but I really really struggle to imagine these carts match the balloon wheel carts on sand , hey I might be wrong I'd be interested to at least try them

yes

wouldnt go back to my balloon wheel hobie cart if you paid me

wet sand, dry sand, soft sand, fine sand.... and no need to worry on the dirt or rocks either
Kayak PBs

Spotted Mack 87cm ,Murray cod 73cm,Trout Cod 35cm, Snapper 65cm, Mangrove Jack 54cm, Kingfish 63cm, Sooty Grunter 40cm, A. salmon 55cm, Bream 38cm, Flathead 70cm, GT 50cm, Jewfish 60cm, Yellowbelly 55cm, Bass 45cm (to the fork), Estuary Perch 41cm, Tailor 62cm, Squid 45cm, Redfin 36cm, Flounder 37cm, Mac Tuna 38cm, Macquarie Perch 33cm, Rainbow trout 47cm, Albatross 75cm (wingspan!)
coattail rider
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Nowra
Kayaks: mini x, revo 13

Postby Plakkyboat » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:12 pm

Wheel-Testing-Results-Table.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers -- Paul
My first true love was the Sea. After threescore spins around the Sun...she's still there...as my mistress — Plakkyboat Image
Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Burnett Coastal & Rivers
Kayaks: Wedded to "Glass" + a bit of "Plastic" on the side

Postby NorthSIKer » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:15 pm

Have had a play with Whisky's and decided to pull the trigger on one.

$116 delivered brand new with the Sandtrakz wheels. With the old 'Kiwi' wheels instead about $80 delivered.

Pretty good value I Feel to safe faffing about and walking distances with the kayak on my shoulder.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby Ads22 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:12 pm

NorthSIKer wrote:Have had a play with Whisky's and decided to pull the trigger on one.

$116 delivered brand new with the Sandtrakz wheels. With the old 'Kiwi' wheels instead about $80 delivered.

Pretty good value I Feel to safe faffing about and walking distances with the kayak on my shoulder.

Where did you track down such a good price on these NorthSIKer?
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Postby NorthSIKer » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:26 pm

Ads22 wrote:Where did you track down such a good price on these NorthSIKer?

PM Sent
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Next

Return to General Kayak and Fishing Questions