Hobie backwards mirage drive

Are you new to kayak fishing? Feel free to ask any questions here.

Re: Hobie backwards mirage drive

Postby Shuggy22 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:43 pm

Have to agree to some degree about the price factor, and I am one who believes you get what you pay for however.......
PA's in particular i dont understand, the only place i can see them having; is being used in impoundments where motors are prohibited, personally their weight and price make them comparable to a small tinny indeed.
I have owned and used several hobies (mirage and paddle) and i personally cant see the value in the mirage anymore, that being said the price of some propels throws me too lol
Just i guess if the aim of the game is catching fish then personally having a mirage drive never helped, so an even more expensive version is certainly no more appealing. And really fishing is the platform we should compare vessels on I would have thought.
Shuggy22
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Wollondilly

Postby Shuggy22 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:44 pm

Should I say never helped me*
Shuggy22
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Wollondilly

Postby coattail rider » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:54 pm

Shuggy22 wrote:Have to agree to some degree about the price factor, and I am one who believes you get what you pay for however.......
PA's in particular i dont understand, the only place i can see them having; is being used in impoundments where motors are prohibited, personally their weight and price make them comparable to a small tinny indeed.
I have owned and used several hobies (mirage and paddle) and i personally cant see the value in the mirage anymore, that being said the price of some propels throws me too lol
Just i guess if the aim of the game is catching fish then personally having a mirage drive never helped, so an even more expensive version is certainly no more appealing. And really fishing is the platform we should compare vessels on I would have thought.

i guess it depends..i can tell you that being able to chance fish and manouver around obstacles whilst hooked up using the drive has definately meant ive caught some fish id have otherwise lost
Kayak PBs

Spotted Mack 87cm ,Murray cod 73cm,Trout Cod 35cm, Snapper 65cm, Mangrove Jack 54cm, Kingfish 63cm, Sooty Grunter 40cm, A. salmon 55cm, Bream 38cm, Flathead 70cm, GT 50cm, Jewfish 60cm, Yellowbelly 55cm, Bass 45cm (to the fork), Estuary Perch 41cm, Tailor 62cm, Squid 45cm, Redfin 36cm, Flounder 37cm, Mac Tuna 38cm, Macquarie Perch 33cm, Rainbow trout 47cm, Albatross 75cm (wingspan!)
coattail rider
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Nowra
Kayaks: mini x, revo 13

Postby spork » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:40 am

canaryfisher wrote:The issue I got with the new hobie Pedal drive which I've not tried but I seen a few videos on it is that
the whole point of the hobies I thought was less effort more fishing.. Now if you want to go backwards
you have to pull a cable to switch the fins backwards to go backwards

I've owned a dozenish cars over the years.
Pretty much all of them cost more than a PA.
Some significantly more.
They ALL have this lever type thing that I have to pull / push / move to select reverse. Some of them required the use of a pedal too!
You'd think Holden / Ford / Toyota / Nissan / Subaru / Audi / Alfa-Romeo / Mitsubishi (and any others I've forgotten) would do better than that...
:roll:
spork
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Tasmania
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Outback, Hobie PA 12.

Postby arpie » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:09 am

......They ALL have this lever type thing that I have to pull / push / move to select reverse. Some of them required the use of a pedal too!
You'd think Holden / Ford / Toyota / Nissan / Subaru / Audi / Alfa-Romeo / Mitsubishi (and any others I've forgotten) would do better than that......

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good one, Gard!
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby pdfarrell » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:26 pm

Have just spoken to James at HWS, and made my intentions clear that I want one.

I think it will be great for fishing boat hulls as well as holding position casting into breeze or in a current.

I think it would also be great in places like Forster, in and around the racks, especially in a slow cornering PA.

Yes I realise the Natives have no "lever" or "cable" to pull, but I can't see it being a problem.. looking forward (or backwards) to it..

Cheers,
PF
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught..."

Member of
pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

Postby spork » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:21 pm

My understanding is that the propellor driven 'yaks have their own issues.
Bearing failure.Weed fouling. Also, you can't "feather" them, so they won't operate as shallow as a mirage drive can.

Nothing is perfect.
Everything is compromise.
If you feel you need push-button direction change in a kayak:

:wink:
spork
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Tasmania
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Outback, Hobie PA 12.

Postby manno » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:02 pm

spork wrote:I've owned a dozenish cars over the years.
Pretty much all of them cost more than a PA.
Some significantly more.
They ALL have this lever type thing that I have to pull / push / move to select reverse. Some of them required the use of a pedal too!
You'd think Holden / Ford / Toyota / Nissan / Subaru / Audi / Alfa-Romeo / Mitsubishi (and any others I've forgotten) would do better than that...

Fish much when you drive?

manno
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Melb

Postby DolanOutdoors » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:58 pm

In my opinion the 2017 Hobie Outback Mirage Drive 180 with turbo fins is the best thing since sliced bread. But I maybe bias. :lol:
DolanOutdoors
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Tuggerah Lake, Lake Macquarie
Kayaks: Hobie Outback Camo

Previous

Return to General Kayak and Fishing Questions