Using a universal side loader while using roof rack saddles

Are you new to kayak fishing? Feel free to ask any questions here.

Using a universal side loader while using roof rack saddles

Postby DannYaka » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:56 pm

Hi Guys

About to take out my kayak out on my first trip out.
I've attached my saddles onto my roof racks but now when i want to clamp my universal side loader onto my racks, the saddles are in the way and i cant get the second bracket completely on??
Has anyone else had this issue or could i be using the wrong bracket kit? Or am i supposed to push the saddles to one side while clamping the loader on then moving the saddles back into position?
Sorry about the confusing thread
Thanks
Dan
DannYaka
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sydney

Re: Using a universal side loader while using roof rack sadd

Postby Ads22 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:20 pm

I have a set of Rhino Kayak Racks 580 model I think. The bracket gets in the way for a universal loader so I made up my own out of square tube. Can't recall sizes, but two different sizes, one fits inside the other, bolted in place so almost two full lengths useable. Smaller tube then slides along the rear roof bar, fitting snug inside the brackets and is long enough to fit through both rear brackets. I have a length of pvc around the protruding (larger) square tube, with an angle bracket at the end (sticking up) to prevent the yak slipping off.

If I'm concerned about excess weight pushing back on the roof bar, I run a strap around both front and back bar to prevent too much force on the rear bar while sliding yak up/loading.

Can remove bolt and feed smaller tube back inside larger one to store/transport.

All up it used 2 x 1m lengths of steel tube (slightly diff width); a bolt with butterfly nut, angle bracket, 2x tech screws, length of pvc pipe. Cheap and effective!

Hope you can get some mental images there as I haven't got any pics handy.

Cheers,

Adam
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Postby DannYaka » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:17 pm

Thanks Adam, a visual would help but not needed now. Im able to clamp the side loader from the other side of the vehicle, means i have to pivot the yak to the other side of the roof rack but gets the job done.

Thanks
Dan
DannYaka
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sydney

Postby Ads22 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:02 pm

This might help, perhaps... Took these photos just now while loading ready for tomorrow morning.

Larger steel tube is 25.4mm diameter. Smaller will be next size down, can't recall exactly - purchased as 1m lengths from the big green shop.

20170429_170412_L.jpg

20170429_170421_L.jpg

20170429_170427_L.jpg

20170429_170512_L.jpg

Wingnut sits inside pvc pipe when loading, pointed downwards.

Here's hoping the fish bite tomorrow! Or at least the crabs are hungry!

Cheers,

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Return to General Kayak and Fishing Questions