Hobie TI Kart question

Are you new to kayak fishing? Feel free to ask any questions here.

Hobie TI Kart question

Postby LODO » Thu May 25, 2017 8:06 am

Hi all

A few months ago now I traded in the fiberglass and purchased a Hobie Tandem Island on a trailer. It's taking a bit of getting used to, all that stability, room, and ease of paddling or lack thereof.

But I digress.

My question is, to anyone out there who owns a TI. What Kart do you use for dragging the beast across the sand? I have been doing my best to stick to boat ramps, however some of the areas I like to get to ... launching from a boat ramp would add several kilometres to the trip.

I received a standard heavy duty kart (black wheels) which I know from experience that it would be easier dragging my kayak hull along on the sand rather than using the wheels.

Ideally, I'd love to transport it setup, or at the very least sit everything (ama, sail) on top of the yak for cartage, rather than making multiple trips to the ute and back.

Any advice would be great. I've looked at the hobie karts and they do look amazing ... however, getting them to Townsville, adds another $100 to the price! :grr: which is a bit limiting.

Thanks.
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Stealth ProFisha 525 and Stealth Evolution Duo

Re: Hobie TI Kart question

Postby koji » Thu May 25, 2017 11:54 am

Hi LODO

A couple of things I can suggest/point out.

The easiest way by far would be to get a Dolly with the beach wheels as this is simple to load and unload the boat onto, it also has a greater 'load spread' as the cradle has far more surface area than that of a cart. It allows for the whole boat to be transported at once (ama's folded in). The larger beach wheels make moving the heavy load much less tedious and because the dolly does not require to go through the scuppers, it is less finicky. The only downside to a dolly is the fact you cannot simply stow it on board; it will require a trip back to the car...

Second best, mainly for ease is the Dolly with the 'Tuff Tire'. While it isn't exactly for beach carting; the ease of getting the TI on and off this is much greater than my next solution.

The next best would be a Trax 2-30 cart with the Tandem Island cradle for the plug in cart. Just note that this is meant only to cart the main hull, not the ama's and aka's (as you already know). The downside of this solution is that the balloon wheels make it impossible to submerge into the water and fit once you are done for the day.

Last option; you already have the HD cart, so all I can say is make sure you are using the plug in cradle for the cart (Hobie P/N 80044202) to cart the main hull. Unfortunately this requires multiple trips to and from the car but at least you are protecting the hull from any potential damage.

So in short, the dolly with beach wheels will allow you to move the boat (assembled) but you'll need to store them in the car.

Hope that helps
Koji
koji
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast
Kayaks: 2017 Hobie PA 14

Postby LODO » Thu May 25, 2017 1:43 pm

koji wrote:Hi LODO

So in short, the dolly with beach wheels will allow you to move the boat (assembled) but you'll need to store them in the car.

Hope that helps
Koji

Thanks Koji ... everything you said pretty much confirms what I was thinking. Unfortunately, it means finding the $800 for a kart plus transport to TSV. In the scheme of things, probably worth the purchase, it's just the initial outlay ... OUCH!!!

MIke Hatfield
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Postby koji » Thu May 25, 2017 1:51 pm

LODO wrote:
koji wrote:Hi LODO

Hope that helps
Koji

Thanks Koji ... everything you said pretty much confirms what I was thinking. Unfortunately, it means finding the $800 for a kart plus transport to TSV. In the scheme of things, probably worth the purchase, it's just the initial outlay ... OUCH!!!

MIke Hatfield

Give Trish a call (I think she is at Rivergate today - 07 3890 8650) and see what she can do in regard to freight cost...The dolly is $705 too, hopefully that eases the pain (somewhat!)
koji
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast
Kayaks: 2017 Hobie PA 14

Postby NorthSIKer » Thu May 25, 2017 4:33 pm

You might be able to borrow Whisky (if he is in a nice mood :lol: ) and my sandtrakz and try the below:

I got mine $116 delivered so 2x of those would be much less than what you are looking at.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby LODO » Fri May 26, 2017 10:31 am

They do look the goods. I wonder if you can get wheels with a slightly wider footprint though.

Did you see how hard that guy was struggling coming UP the sand!? Also ... he was loading the yak in calm water ... but then, it's just as easy to roll it on to it's side and place wheels underneath.

And ... hopefully, I'll have a second person to help with the push-pull up and down the beach :)
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Postby NorthSIKer » Fri May 26, 2017 12:09 pm

LODO wrote:Did you see how hard that guy was struggling coming UP the sand!? Also ... he was loading the yak in calm water ... but then, it's just as easy to roll it on to it's side and place wheels underneath.

100kg that rig? I think on any wheels it is going to be a bit of an effort to pull up an incline.

Yeah, you wouldn't be able to launch like that too often up here. I assume if you can slide it off the wheels by the water's edge you can drag it into the sea from there?
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby LODO » Fri May 26, 2017 2:35 pm

Yeah, you're right there.

It's easily 100kg fully loaded :)

I like the double-up with the linking pole. That looks the goods and would take away the need for wider wheels. Reckon, it would actually be easier than the big kart. Would also mean that the two karts could happily be stored on a tramp, or inside the hull. That makes trips to Horseshoe bay (WITHOUT A TRAILER) much MUCH easier!!!

We often stay at Horseshoe bay, over Easter we took the trailer which cost us $390 return to take it for a week. If I spend that on the two karts, I can sail/paddle to Horseshoe bay and have the Mrs and child drive across. Then do the same on return ... or roof-top it if the conditions look too sketchy.

Certainly makes things look a bit smarter.
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Postby Aussie54 » Fri May 26, 2017 9:19 pm

What that gadget needs to make it easier in the sand is tracks. Big wide flexible rubber band to spread the load so it rolls over the sand and not digging in.
Aussie54
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sydney metro, upper Nepean River & South Coast
Kayaks: Native Watercraft Slayer Propel

Postby NorthSIKer » Sat May 27, 2017 8:26 am

Aussie54 wrote:What that gadget needs to make it easier in the sand is tracks. Big wide flexible rubber band to spread the load so it rolls over the sand and not digging in.

You can't really see it in the video but the wheels on that C-Tug Sandtrakz have a flexible outer that deforms to act a bit like the tracks on earthmoving gear.

I don't have experience with other carts to know if they work better or worse in practice on sand but that is the theory.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby NorthSIKer » Sat May 27, 2017 8:28 am

LODO wrote:We often stay at Horseshoe bay, over Easter we took the trailer which cost us $390 return to take it for a week. If I spend that on the two karts, I can sail/paddle to Horseshoe bay and have the Mrs and child drive across. Then do the same on return ... or roof-top it if the conditions look too sketchy.

Looks like we have similar approaches to expenditure justification. And then going forward you get extra leave-time for taking the boat out (over) in the name of saving money. :lol:
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby LODO » Tue May 30, 2017 12:17 pm

Well, it is all about saving money now isn't it.

It's the same reason I take fishing gear with me. Why pay for food if I can catch it? But then ... I really should try to catch something!!!
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Postby tonystott » Tue May 30, 2017 11:19 pm

LODO wrote:They do look the goods. I wonder if you can get wheels with a slightly wider footprint though.

Did you see how hard that guy was struggling coming UP the sand!? Also ... he was loading the yak in calm water ... but then, it's just as easy to roll it on to it's side and place wheels underneath.

And ... hopefully, I'll have a second person to help with the push-pull up and down the beach :)

That is the best cart solution I have seen for a TI (the heaviest kayak that exists). Those unique "track" wheels seem to be the best for use on sand given their much smaller size than the balloon tyres, with the added benefit that they don't float.

In response to a couple of your comments.
* Certainly the water was calm, but that cart is still going to be easier than any alternative in rougher water. I do not believe that rolling an Island on its side would be a practical task for one person, unless one of the hulls is removed first...
* Because there are four tracks spreading the load, you will note that the wheels are sitting above the sand, and not building up heaps in front of them.
Obviously, pulling a 100+kg load across sand is never going to be easy, he is simply letting his weight do the job, hence the stop/go nature of progress.
Tony Stott
2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM" with Hobie spinnaker
tonystott
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Forster, nsw
Kayaks: 2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM"

Postby LODO » Wed May 31, 2017 8:39 am

Totally agree with you on all fronts Tony.

I remember when I had my first AI, and just regular wheels, pulling it up a 45 degree sand bank incline ... almost needed a winch!!!

As with all karts, a little practice on the front lawn at home will do the job. But I reckon it'd be fairly easy to get it up on to the trolley when the whole TI is on the sand.

If I needed to, I would just fold in one of the AMA and then flip it on it's side to place the kart where I need it. At least that's the logic at the moment.
LODO
KFDU 500 Club

Return to General Kayak and Fishing Questions