Lithium Battery for Minn Kota

Are you new to kayak fishing? Feel free to ask any questions here.
hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland

Lithium Battery for Minn Kota

#1 Post by hillbilly » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:18 am

Many years ago I made an electric motor set up for my Hobie "Lanai" (purchased in 2005) to use in big dams or large stretches of water. It worked quite well but the one thing I didn't enjoy was the setting up and the heavy (14 kg) 44 ah sealed lead acid battery. My use of the set up was always limited but quickly became non existent so in 2014 I added a Hobie "Revolution 11" Pedal kayak. I rarely use my Pedal kayak as it doesn't suit my preferred style of kayak fishing for reasons such as maneuverability, space, comfort, weight etc.
Minn Kota.JPG
I want to revisit my electric set up inspired by Dodge and his group of midweek "Old Farts", one of which I am also from time to time. So this is what I've got:-

1. A set up that works but can be improved on as I have several ideas.
2. A 28 lb thrust Minn Kota Electric Motor.
3. My Hobie "Lanai" with motor bracket.

What I ask of you out there is your knowledge on Lithium batteries and your suggestions for my electric motor. I like the concept of my portable Makita drill which has a battery that lasts a reasonable amount of time and then just dies. The flat battery goes on the the charger and a fully charged battery spare goes back on the drill. In other words I would like go out on the water and use the electric for a period of time then replace the battery for recharging only when it dies whether it be on the same day or a week later.

What I know already:-

1. Lithium batteries are much lighter than the other types.
2. Lithium batteries are much more expensive than the others and I would require two batteries plus a lithium charger.
3. The electric motor works off 12 volts.
4. I wouldn't require a battery of 45 ah as I'd carry a spare and would only use the electric for a period of a few hours.

What I need to know before purchase if I decide to go this way:-

1. Is there specific type of lithium battery for my electric? eg. deep cycle, marine (I'd only use it in fresh water), etc.
2. I'd rather talk to the salesman than buy off the net which can be confusing so what dealers in Australia are there?
3. Any negative or positive experiences from yourselves?
4. Battery lifespans and the like but if you point me in the right direction I'll get it from the salesperson.

I hope you can clue me up on a few things.

Regards Bill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Trust the research and educate rather than dictate."

johnh
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Bundaberg
Kayaks: Hobie Adventure Island & Revo 13

Re: Lithium Battery for Minn Kota

#2 Post by johnh » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:31 pm

Be prepared to take a big hit to the hip pocket. The Winston batteries have a good reputation.

http://www.evworks.com.au/winston-batte ... l-12v-60ah

hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland

#3 Post by hillbilly » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:16 pm

Thanks for that, I'll have a better look at the site tomorrow. The price was actually quite good compared to others I looked at on the net. I'd still like to buy two around the 20 ah to 30 ah so I'd have a charged spare when one runs out. Today I simplified my original set up for the electric so I'm keen to try it out again after all these years of sitting in the garage. Regards Bill
"Trust the research and educate rather than dictate."

johnh
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Bundaberg
Kayaks: Hobie Adventure Island & Revo 13

#4 Post by johnh » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:24 pm

I think the smallest they stock are the 40AH ones at $300

http://www.evworks.com.au/winston-lp12v ... y-12v-40ah

KalSteve
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: South coast WA

#5 Post by KalSteve » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:52 pm

One thing to bear in mind when comparing lithium to lead acid batteries. Deep cycle lead acid should only be discharged to 50%, so a 100ah deep cycle lead acid has a useable capacity of 50ah. Depending on chemistry lithium batteries are fine being discharged to between 80% and 95%, so a 100ah lithium battery will have at least 80ah available per cycle when fully charged.

You could use 18v power tool packs to drive your 12v trolling motor. They are over 20v hot off the charger so would probably shorten the motor life if used directly. However, voltage regulators are readily available on ebay that will provide a nice steady 12v from higher input voltages. Otherwise you could use a pwm motor controller that is happy with 24v in to limit the output voltage and improve efficiency.

Return to “General Kayak and Fishing Questions”