blue mountains fishing???

Are you new to kayak fishing? Feel free to ask any questions here.
kieran.hart92
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: albany

blue mountains fishing???

#1 Post by kieran.hart92 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:33 pm

hi guys and girls.
as some of you may know im traveling aus and have now made my way upto kattoomba in the blue mountains. i was just wondering what the fishing was like up here either of land or in the yak. i have just gotten into fly fishing but will be happy to just throw lures around and get a few. i dont want any secret spots just a point in the right direction and see if anyone would like to join me. any tips would be awsome..
thanks
kieran

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: blue mountains fishing???

#2 Post by arpie » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:16 pm

Thompson Creek Dam rings a bell for trout up there - tho not 'quite' in the Mountains? Not sure if the season is 'opened' just now tho? Can't see NOT being able to fish here on the site.
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recre ... -creek-dam

Only shore fishing - no yaks

Good luck!

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

kieran.hart92
KFDU Angler

#3 Post by kieran.hart92 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:23 pm

arpie wrote:Thompson Creek Dam rings a bell for trout up there - tho not 'quite' in the Mountains? Not sure if the season is 'opened' just now tho? Can't see NOT being able to fish here on the site.
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recre ... -creek-dam

Only shore fishing - no yaks

Good luck!

Roberta
thanks for the info. iv had a fair bit of a look on the net and there is a few around i can fish that are open year round

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

#4 Post by Ads22 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:18 pm

Looks like fun times Kieran. Hopefully it goes well for you. Have you been getting any fishing/yakking done along your journey since last report? How has it been? Be interested to hear what you've been getting as many of us like to travel and sneak a rod into our luggage, so handy to hear your escapades.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

kieran.hart92
KFDU Angler

#5 Post by kieran.hart92 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:15 pm

Ads22 wrote:Looks like fun times Kieran. Hopefully it goes well for you. Have you been getting any fishing/yakking done along your journey since last report? How has it been? Be interested to hear what you've been getting as many of us like to travel and sneak a rod into our luggage, so handy to hear your escapades.
since last report i have been in st georges basin doing a bit of work to top the bank account up becuase i seem to feel a need to buy alot of things i dont need.. anyway fishing around there was slow because of the cold water. got a few nice flatty and other bits and peices. im goin to post a few pics up soon.
thanks for the replies :)

2yackers
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Blue Mountains NSW & wherever the road takes me.
Kayaks: Hobie Adventure 2012 'African Queen 2'

#6 Post by 2yackers » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:59 am

Further west you have Thompsons Creek, walk in only lure or fly, trophy trout dam.
Lake Wallace on the way to Thompsons Creek,yak or shore based, fly lure etc, both just west of Lithgow.
Lake Leyall on eastern side of Lithgow, camping available, trout, land base, yak or power boat.
Regards
Bob

' Give a Man a Fish and he will eat for a day. '
' Teach a Man to Fish and he will sit in a boat and drink Beer all day. '

PB's: Flathead - 58 cm, Bream - 35 cm, Australian Bass - 42cm,
Member:
Sydney Kayak Fishing Club,
Midcoast Kayak Fishing Club,
NSW South Coast Kayak Fishoes.
Team Old Farts
Penrith & Hills District Kayak Fishing Club
Kayak Fishing UK.

Charles 1960
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sydney,Central West,Southern Highlands
Kayaks: Jackson Kilroy , Scamp

#7 Post by Charles 1960 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:18 pm

Last trip to Oberon back in May it was a redfin every cast till I got bored catching them, decent fish up to 35 cm, didn't see any trout,it's a tough fishery now. I note the weather dept is predicting a brisk -5 degrees there on Saturday.
Lyell and Lake Wallace has a nice mix of trout, bass and redfin.
Regards Charles

Charles 1960 formally Charles1960

kieran.hart92
KFDU Angler

#8 Post by kieran.hart92 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:39 pm

thanks for that 2yackers and charles. will deff go to them spots. havnt been able to do much the last 2 days with this wind its been horrible. will keep you updated. once again thanks for the information its much appreciated

kiwinaus
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Lithgow Oberon Hartley
Kayaks: Lime Green Sierra Hobie Pro Angler 12

#9 Post by kiwinaus » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:53 pm

I live in mount Victoria let me know when you can get out and I'll show you around. Try Wentworth Falls dam heaps Redfin and a few bass also Rainbows and browns.
PB Bass 32cm ,PB Yellow belly 61cm, PB Flattie 49cm,52cm Rainbow Trout,PB Murray Cod 56cm......Wait for it!

Swamp Stalker
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 10

#10 Post by Swamp Stalker » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:25 pm

kiwinaus wrote:I live in mount Victoria let me know when you can get out and I'll show you around. Try Wentworth Falls dam heaps Redfin and a few bass also Rainbows and browns.
Wentworth Falls lake is the closest body of water to Katoomba and has easy access. As mentioned it has a few different species in it, but the trout seem to like it when a westerly is blowing (such as in recent weeks). As it pushes food up against the dam wall and the trout patrol the area looking for an easy feed.
SWAMP STALKER TACKLE

Return to “General Kayak and Fishing Questions”