Home made paddle

Are you new to kayak fishing? Feel free to ask any questions here.
XXXX_guy
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Logan and surrounds

Home made paddle

#1 Post by XXXX_guy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:27 pm

Hi guys,
I managed to break the paddle that came with my kayak trying to learn to do a surf entry (don't worry I was in ankle deep water trying to push the kayak off the beach with the waves relentlessly washing me back onto the beach). I'm left handed and also feel that the paddle that came with my kayak was a bit too short for me (I'm 6'2" in a wide kayak and the paddle was about 2.1m, had trouble not hitting either my hands on the kayak or hitting the kayak with the paddle). I'm currently just looking for a cheap paddle (ie. aluminium shaft with rubber paddles) however am struggling to find one that is feathered for a left-hander and is of a longer length. My thoughts were to simply buy a $40 paddle, and replace the shaft with a longer piece of aluminum tube, moving the lump on the shaft from the right hand to the left hand and feathering to suit a left-hander. I've done this and set the paddle to 260cm long and will try this out, and reduce the length by 10cm at a time until I'm satisifed. Are there likely to be any issues with this idea?

Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

Re: Home made paddle

#2 Post by Dodge » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:13 am

XXXX_guy wrote: I've done this and set the paddle to 260cm long and will try this out, and reduce the length by 10cm at a time until I'm satisifed. Are there likely to be any issues with this idea?
At the price sounds like it's worth a go mate.

Also when paddling try only stroking just between ankle and hips and see if that saves your knuckles .
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

#3 Post by Ads22 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:26 pm

Some of your knuckle scraping could also come down to stroke shape and posture. Worth working on this, especially as you become more fatigued. A little like learning bad habits on say guitar or piano, hard to correct later. I'm a pro at none of these things, mind you. Just thoughts. But, I use a different stroke shape depending on which kayak I'm using.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

laneends
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

#4 Post by laneends » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:27 pm

Wouldn't skimp or DIY on a paddle if it fails when you are on the water you can be well stuffed.

See if anyone has a spare hobie paddle, many will have upgraded, and there will be plenty lying around in sheds. They can be adjusted for left or right and are 2.3m long, which is considered long by normal standards. Paddle length is more determine by height from water than width of kayak. Hobies are not narrow kayaks,mostly

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

#5 Post by NorthSIKer » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:41 pm

Quite a few people make greenland paddles out of a plank of timber - google them. They look odd if you are not used to them but work really well.

XXXX_guy
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Logan and surrounds

#6 Post by XXXX_guy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:43 am

Thanks for the replies,

Not to worried about the DIY failing - will have a second DIY paddle as a back up. :grin: Also I'm essentially only drilling out a rivet putting in a longer shaft with thicker wall 1.2mm compared to the 0.9mm the paddle came with and re-reviting, then using heatshrink as on the current paddle for hand grips (put on before re-reviting both ends).

After some testing I've settled on a 240cm paddle end to end after starting at 260cm and the extra length has definitely stopped me hitting my knuckles on the side of the boat compared to the 207 paddle I started with. The 240cm may be equivalent to a 230cm hobie paddle if the actual blades are shorter.

The 260cm had a bit too much lever arm so I felt that to paddle in an aerobic manner (based on my level of fitness) would require that I considerably drop the number of revolutions per minute which felt weird for me. I'm currently happy with the 240cm length and will take it on a longer paddle when I get the chance.

Return to “General Kayak and Fishing Questions”