Bribie island surf side.

Are you new to kayak fishing? Feel free to ask any questions here.

Bribie island surf side.

Postby TJofTheBay » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:40 am

Hi everyone.
I recently got a 4wd and have been considering giving the surf side of Bribie a shot .
I would assume it wouldn't be as heavily pressured fishing wise due to the distance most boats would have to travel.
I am more interested in chasing reefie but would still enjoy chasing the pelagics.
Has anyone had much luck exploring the surf side?
Any info would be most appreciated.
Cheers
Troy
TJofTheBay
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: North Brisbane
Kayaks: Viking Profish 45

Re: Bribie island surf side.

Postby XDCammer » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:56 pm

Hey Troy, go further up the coast to (the Calround) around Jun/Jul with live baits and go out from Moffats.

Get your live baits and troll some Longtails. Lures/SF will work ok too.

Watch the bird activity!!!!!!!!!

This advice will depend on what yak fishing platform you will be on, and check your weather too.

BobbyB
Time spent on reconnaissance is time never wasted.
XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Southern NSW
Kayaks: Adventure Island and Stealth Profisha 525

Postby Paulioq » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:38 pm

so if some one had say a pa14 hobie could they beach launch from moffats??? also is it tide dependant or time dependant fishing off shore from moffats(is an out going tide easyer to launch then an incomeing tide???). am keen to try some off sure fishing and am looking at buying a hobie ai or maybe a stealth for off shore work but have been told that it can be done in a hobie pa14 if confident (can handle up to 20knots the few times I have been caught out by bad weather, don't go out in that but have come home in those sort of conditions). I know they have the hatch issue and am going to get the seal kit for it as well as add a 1inch wide webbing strap with buckle over the hatch to help keep it closed.
Paulioq
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Wynnum
Kayaks: pa14 profiha525

Postby unsinkable 2 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:28 pm

Paulioq wrote:so if some one had say a pa14 hobie could they beach launch from moffats??? also is it tide dependant or time dependant fishing off shore from moffats(is an out going tide easyer to launch then an incomeing tide???). am keen to try some off sure fishing and am looking at buying a hobie ai or maybe a stealth for off shore work but have been told that it can be done in a hobie pa14 if confident (can handle up to 20knots the few times I have been caught out by bad weather, don't go out in that but have come home in those sort of conditions). I know they have the hatch issue and am going to get the seal kit for it as well as add a 1inch wide webbing strap with buckle over the hatch to help keep it closed.

Moffats can be done in anything if timed properly every time. It's only one wave so both for launch and return, so long as you're focused and fast, you'll be able to avoid being dumped on most conditions pretty much regardless of the craft. If you're looking at mostly doing extremely long distances in strong winds, want to stand up and fish a bit more and don't mind hauling a very large weight around on land, go for an AI. If you're looking at doing more regular offshore stuff, paddling faster without wind assistance, having a simpler deck layout and having an easier time off land and don't feel the need to stand up and fish, stealth all the way.

PA14 is fine once on the water for offshore, but still nowhere near as nice as the other two if you're chasing pelagics and really won't be fun without a trailer and a boat ramp into calm water with no advantages. If your main fishing is inshore and you're just giving offshore a quick look and seeing if it's for you, then by all means give it a shot with the PA.
PBs
I caught a cobia which could eat the rest except for the mackerel which could also probably eat a lot of the things
unsinkable 2
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Toowoomba, Straddie, SEQ
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525, Old Town Vapour 10, Viking 2+1

Postby TJofTheBay » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:42 pm

Thanks for the reply everyone.
I will be sure to check Moffat's out .
Do they get reefies out there ?
Just picked up a second hand Viking profish reload so be a good test for the new rig
TJofTheBay
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: North Brisbane
Kayaks: Viking Profish 45

Postby Cubits » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:35 pm

Moffat is getting decent tuna atm. There's always mackerel around, but they've been a bit quiet with the northerlies. Should be back on this weekend if the temp climbs.

And the spoil grounds and the reefs around brays rock have been turning in good numbers of sweetlip and assorted other reefies. Snapper will be picking up soon too.
Cubits
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Viking Profish GT

Postby Paulioq » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:02 pm

hmm good info for thought, thanks unsinkable 2, you are right I do launch from boat ramps and an ai would be heavy to launch of the beach. my pa14 is heavy enough at 66kg let alone an ai and the revo16 well its just a striped down ai. the stealth looks tiptops specially the huge hatch for putting fish in and storing fishing rods. I am just kicking proverbial tires at the moment but the fisha 500 looks good for me. am keen to give moffets a go next weekend weather permiting(not looking good at the moment) but will need atleast a beach trolly befor I go I only have a hobie trolly with the basic solid wheels on it (for concreate ramp launches) am looking at a ctug beach trolly any way will let you know how I go. mmm tuna not out of a can sounds good to me cubits, I'm the kinda bloke who goes and catches a fish when I want to eat sea food never bought fish from a shop. cheers for the help
Paulioq
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Wynnum
Kayaks: pa14 profiha525

Postby unsinkable 2 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:03 pm

Paulioq wrote: cheers for the help

No worries mate, hopefully you get stuck into a few! They're definitely around, have managed a few over last week- might whack up a report in a while. Might be worth having a chat to a few of the other blokes on stealths who will no doubt be there if the weather is good!
PBs
I caught a cobia which could eat the rest except for the mackerel which could also probably eat a lot of the things
unsinkable 2
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Toowoomba, Straddie, SEQ
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525, Old Town Vapour 10, Viking 2+1

Return to General Kayak and Fishing Questions