This kayak anygood for Goldcoast offshore Palmy?

Are you new to kayak fishing? Feel free to ask any questions here.
AshG
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: SEQ
Kayaks: 3m Dream Kayak Werewolf, 5.1m Ocean Kayak

This kayak anygood for Goldcoast offshore Palmy?

#1 Post by AshG » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:56 am

So I do a fair bit of creek fishing from a smaller yak, but picked this one up to do some paddling primarily for fitness, but have always wanted to have a crack at trolling lures around Palmy reef, and the urge to modify has crept in lol
It’s a 5.1m ocean kayak sprinter, picked it up for $300 and a Carlisle carbon and graphite paddle for $60.
Did an 8klm paddle on hinze, and after a few adjustments felt quite comfortable and confident paddling it, obviously no where near as stable as my creek kayak, so will take some getting used to, anyways...
Was thinking I could cut a couple of hatches into the big oval sections to stow rods and gear in etc, but before I get too carried away, is this thing going to be ok for that kind of fishing? Of course if I really enjoyed it I would upgrade to a stealth or similar, but was thinking I could get some exercise as well as fishing when seas permit and see if that style of fishing is for me or not....

Cubits
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Viking Profish GT

Re: This kayak anygood for Goldcoast offshore Palmy?

#2 Post by Cubits » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:09 pm

Yeah, you could totally fish off that ski! Not sure about how water tight you could get a diy hatch big enough to store rods, I'd look at nose mounting them in a dry bag. Look up "Pedro's rod bag", he's a local guy at noosa making them. The nose of that ski is plenty long enough.

The only other thing stopping you would be where to stow the catch for the trip back in. You might want to add a bungee web/net to the back end you can stuff a fish bag under. Again, plenty of length there to hold long fish, just need to not lose them in the surf! :p

AshG
KFDU Angler

#3 Post by AshG » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:59 pm

I was going to use specific kayak hatches on the raised moulded oval sections. I have 2x areas that are 240x420 in size, so hopefully get everything inside the hull, if not, I’ll check out those rod bags, cheers mate

nigel
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: sydney & surrounding areas
Kayaks: dag midway,DD3 max ski,stellar S18S ski

#4 Post by nigel » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:25 am

I would recommend the rod bags https://youtu.be/bjDiVnkR3Fc & re stability for trolling out wide yes should be right (in a bit of bump better a ski with good secondary than a flat bottomed crate) & re storing fish mostly now I just troll for fitness but if I do get a keeper between the legs works fine have had a few stealths over the years & yes there great but have reverted back to lighter plastic ski,s far less care & maintenance needed (have developed a habit of falling over getting on/off the water which glass don't take to kindly too :lol: fused ankles slippy concrete/rocks & 5+M ski,s is a recipe for a tumble :lol: ).
The raised oval shape in front of seat is designed for hatch covers (probably an option when buying new) so you should be able to get a made to measure lid which will fit tight & if you go down this path add a couple of straps to be sure it stays put also for offshore some internal flotation is always a good precaution as well as being well practised at re mounting when turtled :lek: if you can't do it with confidence when fresh in the bump after a few Ks aint so easy :blah: also remember the phrase leash it or lose it have fun.

Nigel
ImageImage

laneends
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

#5 Post by laneends » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:33 pm

Be aware with skinny yaks like that being able to actually access forward and rear hatches on the water may be too much of a balancing act, especially in bumpy weather. Stealths and the like have their access hatches in the centre console. I can access my revo 16 frnt hatch in modest conditions, but out of the question if too bumpy and the revo is probably much wider than than. Dont want to go tipping it with a hatch open.

You may get away with a day hatch in the back, but the front would most likely be for off water access only.

Looks like a cracking paddler by the way

Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Vortex VTX 560

#6 Post by Jamie D » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:05 pm

More than likely , you’ll do what you want to do and largely ignore any advice that doesn’t confirm what your thinking anyway , it’s what I’ve Done and pretty much most of the guys I’ve seen on this forum have done over the years learning lessons through experience is the only real path we can ever walk . But what I will say is that my gut feeling is that you will get hooked on offshore fishing because it is a very addictive very thrilling sport and when you do you will get sick of trying to turn a station wagon into a Ferrari and simply go and buy a stealth , Because they’re purpose-built to do specifically what you want to do any “making do” simply wont do after a while

AshG
KFDU Angler

#7 Post by AshG » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:51 am

Thanks for the advice guys appricate it :)

nigel
KFDU 2000 Club

#8 Post by nigel » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:19 am

[quote="laneends"]Be aware with skinny yaks like that being able to actually access forward and rear hatches on the water may be too much of a balancing act, especially in bumpy .........agree that’s why I suggested a couple of straps to ensure hatch lids don’t get lifted by the force of waves breaking over bow if it opens out wide it’s a recipe for disaster with just a few litres slopping about inside forget reliable secondary & it makes re mounting a challenge for sure

Nigel
ImageImage

XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Southern NSW
Kayaks: Adventure Island and Stealth Profisha 525

#9 Post by XDCammer » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:48 pm

Jamie D wrote: Because they’re purpose-built to do specifically what you want to do any “making do” simply wont do after a while
I agree don't compromise, it may end in tears.

BobbyB
Time spent on reconnaissance is time never wasted.

Edstar
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brissy goldy
Kayaks: Stealth splash, hobie outback, Eric's tunny

#10 Post by Edstar » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:36 pm

Yep I had 3 sprinters. And yes I’ve done palmy in it. I lay rods down horizontally for launch and return but of course expect them to get wet so a filled them with grease. Rod tips under paddle holder bungee. Like stealth styles. And butt velcroed to Hull near water btl holder. If I redid it I would prob put the reel in a dry bag. Front hatch for me was pretty much inaccessible on the water rear hatch could be reached. It was a bit tippy but u get use to it. When u first try take no fishing gear. After u get used to it I had 1 rod 1 rod holder and a bum bag with some tackle. When u hear the drag zzzzz. Learn to lean backward to grab the rod rather than turning around to keep u from tipping. Of course mount the rod holder approiately.
I would of put up some pics of it back in the day on this rigged kayak or diy.

Edstar.

Edstar
KFDU Angler

#11 Post by Edstar » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:45 pm

With all that being said I now have a stealth. A sprinter will work. But if u wanna take on palmy regularly U may wanna upgrade. I upgraded after losing a pair of sunnies capsizing. I havent capsized the stealth yet other than surfing in so I guess it saves me some money on not losing gear.

Edstar
KFDU Angler

#12 Post by Edstar » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:00 pm

http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=48023
Here’s one of my old sprinters early on in the pimping phase. I would of done more to the next ones but didn’t bother posting bout it. But hope i gives u ideas.
Edstar.

ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Midcoast NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Outback

#13 Post by ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:00 pm

nigel wrote:I would recommend the rod bags https://youtu.be/bjDiVnkR3Fc & re stability for trolling out wide yes should be right (in a bit of bump better a ski with good secondary than a flat bottomed crate) & re storing fish mostly now I just troll for fitness but if I do get a keeper between the legs works fine have had a few stealths over the years & yes there great but have reverted back to lighter plastic ski,s far less care & maintenance needed (have developed a habit of falling over getting on/off the water which glass don't take to kindly too :lol: fused ankles slippy concrete/rocks & 5+M ski,s is a recipe for a tumble :lol: ).
The raised oval shape in front of seat is designed for hatch covers (probably an option when buying new) so you should be able to get a made to measure lid which will fit tight & if you go down this path add a couple of straps to be sure it stays put also for offshore some internal flotation is always a good precaution as well as being well practised at re mounting when turtled :lek: if you can't do it with confidence when fresh in the bump after a few Ks aint so easy :blah: also remember the phrase leash it or lose it have fun.

Nigel
Nigel

Very interesting clip, and thank you very much for posting
Question: Who makes the rod bag and where can you order them from ?
Would love something like this for BRB yak fishing.

BONES

nigel
KFDU 2000 Club

#14 Post by nigel » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:21 am

ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs wrote:
nigel wrote:I would recommend the rod bags https://youtu.be/bjDiVnkR3Fc & re stability for trolling out wide yes should be right (in a bit of bump better a ski with good secondary than a flat bottomed crate) & re storing fish mostly now I just troll for fitness but if I do get a keeper between the legs works fine have had a few stealths over the years & yes there great but have reverted back to lighter plastic ski,s far less care & maintenance needed (have developed a habit of falling over getting on/off the water which glass don't take to kindly too :lol: fused ankles slippy concrete/rocks & 5+M ski,s is a recipe for a tumble :lol: ).

Nigel
Nigel
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/kayak-fishi ... xyYSdTAHnD
ImageImage

laneends
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

#15 Post by laneends » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:53 pm

Jamie D wrote:More than likely , you’ll do what you want to do and largely ignore any advice that doesn’t confirm what your thinking anyway , it’s what I’ve Done and pretty much most of the guys I’ve seen on this forum have done over the years learning lessons through experience is the only real path we can ever walk . But what I will say is that my gut feeling is that you will get hooked on offshore fishing because it is a very addictive very thrilling sport and when you do you will get sick of trying to turn a station wagon into a Ferrari and simply go and buy a stealth , Because they’re purpose-built to do specifically what you want to do any “making do” simply wont do after a while
x2 typical evolution of kayak ownership. Its like adding a sail to a hobie, you either quickly give it up as unweildy or you go buy an AI. I think something like this is good for a cheap exercise ride. Have fun with it but dont throw too much money at it to try and turn it into something else. Its not ready made for offshore fishing and not stable enough for just punting around fishing. Probably why there isn't a big market for non fisho dedicated SOTs, too many dedicated options available.

Return to “General Kayak and Fishing Questions”