This kayak anygood for Goldcoast offshore Palmy?

Are you new to kayak fishing? Feel free to ask any questions here.
AshG
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: SEQ
Kayaks: 3m Dream Kayak Werewolf, 5.1m Ocean Kayak

Re: This kayak anygood for Goldcoast offshore Palmy?

#16 Post by AshG » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:29 pm

nigel wrote:
laneends wrote:Be aware with skinny yaks like that being able to actually access forward and rear hatches on the water may be too much of a balancing act, especially in bumpy .........agree that’s why I suggested a couple of straps to ensure hatch lids don’t get lifted by the force of waves breaking over bow if it opens out wide it’s a recipe for disaster with just a few litres slopping about inside forget reliable secondary & it makes re mounting a challenge for sure

Nigel
I’ve put two hatches in, they both have two cam lock latches each, surely that’s enough? Or still bungee cord over that as well?

AshG
KFDU Angler

#17 Post by AshG » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:37 pm

Edstar wrote:Yep I had 3 sprinters. And yes I’ve done palmy in it. I lay rods down horizontally for launch and return but of course expect them to get wet so a filled them with grease. Rod tips under paddle holder bungee. Like stealth styles. And butt velcroed to Hull near water btl holder. If I redid it I would prob put the reel in a dry bag. Front hatch for me was pretty much inaccessible on the water rear hatch could be reached. It was a bit tippy but u get use to it. When u first try take no fishing gear. After u get used to it I had 1 rod 1 rod holder and a bum bag with some tackle. When u hear the drag zzzzz. Learn to lean backward to grab the rod rather than turning around to keep u from tipping. Of course mount the rod holder approiately.
I would of put up some pics of it back in the day on this rigged kayak or diy.

Edstar.
Great info, cheers, I’ve managed to install two twin camlocked hatches on the oval sections, big enough to slide rods/fish inside the hull, the front is a stretch and a half, but will do a bit of practicing on flat water.... see what I can and can’t access, then do some trials in the surf. Bumbag for tackle/lures is a good idea, won’t need much gear as I’ll just be trolling around. Thanks again :)

AshG
KFDU Angler

#18 Post by AshG » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:11 pm

laneends wrote:
Jamie D wrote:More than likely , you’ll do what you want to do and largely ignore any advice that doesn’t confirm what your thinking anyway , it’s what I’ve Done and pretty much most of the guys I’ve seen on this forum have done over the years learning lessons through experience is the only real path we can ever walk . But what I will say is that my gut feeling is that you will get hooked on offshore fishing because it is a very addictive very thrilling sport and when you do you will get sick of trying to turn a station wagon into a Ferrari and simply go and buy a stealth , Because they’re purpose-built to do specifically what you want to do any “making do” simply wont do after a while
x2 typical evolution of kayak ownership. Its like adding a sail to a hobie, you either quickly give it up as unweildy or you go buy an AI. I think something like this is good for a cheap exercise ride. Have fun with it but dont throw too much money at it to try and turn it into something else. Its not ready made for offshore fishing and not stable enough for just punting around fishing. Probably why there isn't a big market for non fisho dedicated SOTs, too many dedicated options available.
Yep, this was bought for exercise but figured I can do some trolling at the same time, I have an almost 1m wide 3m kayak I can also stand up in for all my other fishing... I’ve spent just over $100 and put two large cam locked access hatches in and a couple of rod holders and a seat, so pretty cheap so far, oh and picked up a tld25 for trolling with :)

laneends
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

#19 Post by laneends » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:34 pm

Probably start to enjoy the way it glides through the water and making your other yak feel like paddling a bathtub. I kept my first one for a creek basher as I upgraded my main kayak, eventually couldn't face paddling the original, so upgraded that too.. Kayaking is a serious drug..lol

Return to “General Kayak and Fishing Questions”