General question kayaking

Are you new to kayak fishing? Feel free to ask any questions here.
bulldogs195461
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Qld

General question kayaking

#1 Post by bulldogs195461 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:16 pm

Ok, ill try to word this right. My style of fishing is land based, using sps and now hardy bodies, I don't mind wandering the banks, but often I look at areas nearby I'd love to get to, which are covered by water, in other words I'd like to cross the water and walk the banks, so I guess I'm after some more mobility, I'm not looking to fish from a kayak generally, just access spots.
I'm 57 a non swimmer, but wondering is there any recommendations of what I'd need to transport my rods and backpack, that's light to help me access these sought of areas?
I'm mainly into estuaries like the Gold Coast, Tweed, Jacobs well etc,
Regards john

Brendon
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Perth
Kayaks: Hobie Revo Hobie Quest Finn Gizmo

Re: General question kayaking

#2 Post by Brendon » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:43 pm

Welcome! A fair portion of the guys on here started thinking just like you. However you will soon find kayaking is actually a hugely efficeint way to fish and you will be accessing the same water but able to get to so much better positions .
The non swimmer thing is a concern although a pfd is mandatory you need to be able to swim a short distance to grab a kayak you have fallen out of and be able to tread water for a reasonable amount of time whilst you turn a yak over and climb back on. I am not a strong swimmer and have fallen out twice for real in deep water.
I highly recommend you get some very basic instruction in swimming no matter what reason you are using a kayak for .Trust me the joy you will get from kayak fishing will easily repay the effort .As far as kayak goes I would be lokking at sit on top kayaks rather than than sit in as they are far easier to get back on and much easier to carry loads and modify for fishing.
Regards Brendon
https://www.instagram.com/brendonchambers/

Shark Sheild courtesy of Steve @ http://www.wildwatersports.com.au/ please support businesses that support KFDU !

Paulioq
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Wynnum
Kayaks: pa14 profiha525

#3 Post by Paulioq » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:01 am

swimming is your primary self rescue method. not being able to swim is a bigger thing to work on then what yak I should get. don't think you wont fall in it happens to every one at one time or another. saying that don't get a dragon or bcf kayak you will be disappointed plenty of second hand Vikings on gumtree there good. you can portage a espri or something like that with a shoulder strap

StevenM
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Anywhere there is water. Any fish in that pothole?

#4 Post by StevenM » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:10 am

Not mine btw but these things are wide and stable

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/redland ... 1186422309

StevenM
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Anywhere there is water. Any fish in that pothole?

#5 Post by StevenM » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:14 am

Or keep an eye out for one of these locally

Tough as and you will never fall out. About 20 it’s

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-kayaks-pad ... =price_asc

bulldogs195461
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Qld

#6 Post by bulldogs195461 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:19 pm

Thanks for advice here guys, I sometimes fish at Tweed River near the boyd's Bay boat hire, I might hire one of there kayaks to see how I go, that would be a start.
I know when I hire a boat at Jacobs well, the amount of wash you get from other boats in a tinnie, so it would be even worse in a kayak I imigane, I can swim enough to get a close by object, if need be.
Cheers john

Return to “General Kayak and Fishing Questions”