How many km's in a day.

Are you new to kayak fishing? Feel free to ask any questions here.
jimmy5
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: New South Wales

How many km's in a day.

#1 Post by jimmy5 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:47 am

Hello all,

Me and my cousin are planning a 4 day kayak trip down the Macquarie river during cod season. First multi day kayak trip.

We are pretty happy to just go with the flow (get it) but we will be fishing pretty hard and wondering of anyone has done a similar trip and how many km's do you a day.

If anyone has any other tips for a trip of this nature feel free to let me know

Cheers,

Jimmy

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Re: How many km's in a day.

#2 Post by Ads22 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:11 pm

It depends on how hard you are planning to fish the areas I think. I did a trip on the Glenelg River nearly two years ago - it rained most of the time! We didn't cover a huge distance each day, but only had two nights. It's very feasible to fish a lot and do 10-15km for the day, but you may feel you under fished some sections. In this video from Big Angry Fish TV on the Darling, I think he covered about 100km in 5 days - some nice cod in there, too. It's worth the watch!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKZWMAwT7wc
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

curley1623
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: gold coast australia

#3 Post by curley1623 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:48 pm

As a real rough guide if i can drive close to the river i check the road k's say 5's by road and it takes me about 5 hrs to fish that section of river. because of the twists & turns in the river it sometimes works out to about twice the road distance but it all varies.
Coleman ramx Scanoe
Ocean Kayak Frenzy
Perception Minnow
Wilderness Systems Tsunami 165
It's not the wand it's the magician behind it

fisho49
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Central Queensland

#4 Post by fisho49 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:05 am

Too many variables to put any sort of figure on it, Jimmy.

I've been away with others who like to linger in spots for a longer fishing session than I would and conversely I've paddled with some who treat each day as a race. I think it is for both these reasons that I prefer to be alone on the water.

Other things that have a bearing on distance travelled are weather conditions, rate of river flow, daily start and stopping times and I guess the most important thing to consider is the amount of time you feel comfortable each day in or on a kayak.

Jeff
Old Town Loon
Glide Mahi

Return to “General Kayak and Fishing Questions”