Sun Protection

Are you new to kayak fishing? Feel free to ask any questions here.
Thomas4040
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Newcastle
Kayaks: Hobie PA 14

Sun Protection

#1 Post by Thomas4040 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:35 pm

Hey...

I work outdoors all year round, mostly in shorts and workboots so I have that lovely permanent white "socks" tanline thats oh so fasionable.
Last time i had the yak out i was wearing shorts and my Sea to Summit booties with sunscreen on my "socks" but I still got so burned that i couldn't work for 2 days afterwards as I got a pretty good sunburn and the work boots rubbed the hell out of it.

Are there any light weight long pants that are sold somwehere that anyone could recommend to me to save myself the pain?
I have the Lovig dry pants but dont really want to be wearing those in this heat.

Cheers..
Thomas
Member of

cwsco
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: fraser coast
Kayaks: native watercraft slayer 13

Re: Sun Protection

#2 Post by cwsco » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:19 pm

Hi Thomas
I wear long leg cargo type pants that are made from material like bordies, got them from target years back
could be worth a look
Pbs flathead 73cm bream 42cm whiting 40cm grunter 48cm mulloway 80cm spotty mack 80cm cod 45 cm

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#3 Post by arpie » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:40 pm

Hey Thomas - I just go to the Sallies & Vinnies & look at the lightest 'full length' cargo pants I can find ..... I also tuck the bottoms into my socks, so I DON'T get a sock line! :wink: They dry out quickly when wet & don't get you too hot.

Our Target closed down at Xmas! :cry:
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

#4 Post by NorthSIKer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:31 pm

Search 'base layer' on the E of Bay and you will find lots of lightweight long tights and shirts. A bit like Skins rip-offs - generally about $20 each including postage.

pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR
Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

#5 Post by pdfarrell » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:37 pm

Mate I bought a pair of Columbia pants from Rays probably 4 or 5 years ago....
They were about 70-80 bucks from memory, but still going strong today... (bar a few stains)

This photo was taken by Arpie in March 2015. The only things that haven't changed are the pants, the buff and the smile when I'm out fishing with friends.
(I think I still have that shirt too.)
P3190028.jpg
Smiling right now, as while I wasn't successful this outing, this is when I did my surface fishing "traineeship" with Roberta :glad:

Cheers,
PF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas4040
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Newcastle
Kayaks: Hobie PA 14

#6 Post by Thomas4040 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:04 pm

Thanks for all the responses guys, much appreciated !

Cheers...
Thomas
Member of

Paulioq
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Wynnum
Kayaks: pa14 profiha525

#7 Post by Paulioq » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:19 am

NorthSIKer wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:31 pm
Search 'base layer' on the E of Bay and you will find lots of lightweight long tights and shirts. A bit like Skins rip-offs - generally about $20 each including postage.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Adrenalin-B ... :rk:3:pf:0

these go alright under some boardies (no need to scare members of the public) with marine boots and if you fall in (unlikely to happen in a pa) its easyer to swim with them on. also get a thermal pair for winterhttps://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Thermal-PP- ... 1:pf:0&var there as warm as a fleecy track suit even when wet, some times even to hot and you find your self dangleing your feet into the water to cool of

that's my usual get up with an old long sleve cotton drill work shirt (not into those skin hugging fishing shirts) but if the get wet they get heavy even if your in the water(try swimming in one to see how much resistance wet clothing adds and how energy saping it is) so have just been using a rashie under my life jacket when going out blue water and theres a chance of getting dumped in the surf and having to go for a swim.

Foghorn
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: NSW

#8 Post by Foghorn » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:13 pm

I had the same problem, looked at anaconda but they only had the pants that unzip the legs and convert to shorts but I did not think the zips would last long in salt water, got a pair from rebel sports and cheaper than anaconda,very lightweight and dry quickly.
Hope this helps.

Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

#9 Post by Dodge » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:09 pm

Thomas4040 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:35 pm

Are there any light weight long pants that are sold somwehere that anyone could recommend to me to save myself the pain?
Thomas you have already been suggested many options, and here are a couple more I have used for a couple of years now and very happy, sun leggings and also sun sleeves

https://www.kfdu.com.au//forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=47444
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue

Green Hornet
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: NSW South Coast Estuaries and Lakes
Kayaks: Outback

#10 Post by Green Hornet » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:51 am

These work for me. Very light and quick drying.
https://www.rivers.com.au/shop/microfib ... 4_CHARCOAL
The right price, easy to find and get the right size.

Pollycraft
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Armidale, New England and Coffs
Kayaks: Adventure Island

#11 Post by Pollycraft » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:20 am

I'm a big fan of the lightweight cheap tights off ebay. There are some half decent colours and patterns out there Very comfy and quick drying but protect my legs out on the ocean.
Cheers,
Brad

shorty2
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: New South Wales

#12 Post by shorty2 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:35 am

Another vote for the Columbia zip off pants and shirts, the salt doesn't seem to worry them although I always rinse them out immediately after use. They sometimes go without a washing machine wash for a couple of weeks if we are camped and just the rinse in fresh water, now several years old so the quality is ok.
Lightweight and dry off very quickly even when fully soaked when entering the kayak and as I'm short and round the longer legs still cover my ankles when pedaling the Hobie.

laneends
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

#13 Post by laneends » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:57 pm

cheap compression tights from aldis. I am sure k mart will have similar. Then just neoprene paddle shorts over

Lindzz11
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sydney north

#14 Post by Lindzz11 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:27 am

Paulioq wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:19 am
these go alright under some boardies (no need to scare members of the public) with marine boots and if you fall in (unlikely to happen in a pa) its easyer to swim with them on. also get a thermal pair for winterhttps://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Thermal-PP- ... 1:pf:0&var there as warm as a fleecy track suit even when wet, some times even to hot and you find your self dangleing your feet into the water to cool of

that's my usual get up with an old long sleve cotton drill work shirt (not into those skin hugging fishing shirts) but if the get wet they get heavy even if your in the water(try swimming in one to see how much resistance wet clothing adds and how energy saping it is) so have just been using a rashie under my life jacket when going out blue water and theres a chance of getting dumped in the surf and having to go for a swim.
I've used these for the last couple of years , good in summer to keep the sun off you and good in winter to keep you warm.

sharknett
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: Hobie Adventure

#15 Post by sharknett » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:15 pm

I bought nylon trackies for about $15 from K-Mart a few years ago and cut the lining out. Also wear water shoes and screen the bit in between.

Return to “General Kayak and Fishing Questions”