Garmin Striker - 4 or 4dv?

Show us your Sounders and/or GPS Units in this section.

Garmin Striker - 4 or 4dv?

Postby NorthSIKer » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:54 pm

I am going to be in need of a new sounder in a month or so.

I will certainly go a Garmin (have the Echo 301 currently) - have been much better than the Lowrance I had previously.

I see now that the Garmin models are 'Striker' not 'Echo'. Whatever. Question is, what is the real world useability of the DV over the standard models? I am pretty sure I only need the standard model, but the DV imaging looks interesting (be interesting to see more detail of what is down there).

Does the DV use more power than the standard unit?

How does the DV go shooting through hull?

How much more useful / fun is the DV over the standard (or is it just a nice plaything)?

BTW, use will be almost 100% saltwater, with typical depths to about 20m and occasionally about 40m (We don't have much deep water in close up here).
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Re: Garmin Striker - 4 or 4dv?

Postby Jamie D » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:08 pm

I have the down view model of the 301 . Firstly shoots through hull fine , not sure if the signal would be dramatically better if it was in the water directly but the view that I have mounted the way I've got is phenomenal, and resolves in the head unit to a very effective picture .

Couple of things on the down view how people can say that it's only any good for viewing structure but not for viewing fish and I have no idea , it could be an issue of people not understanding fully what they're actually looking at but I can identify
Bait schools and large predatory fish as well as details on the structure that are not identifiable clearly in standard sonar format .
Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525

Postby unsinkable 2 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:39 pm

Had downview on a humminbird for quite a while and only really found it 100% worth using when I wanted to identify a type of structure on flat water. For everything else (fish schools, predatory fish, etc.), I never struggled with standard sonar. Striker 4 has been a good little unit for me though- quality picture and the mapping is great. Only gripes are that the plugs come out a bit too easily and the zoom function for the map needs quite a bit of accuracy with the small buttons.
PBs
I caught a cobia which could eat the rest except for the mackerel which could also probably eat a lot of the things
unsinkable 2
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Toowoomba, Straddie, SEQ
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525, Old Town Vapour 10, Viking 2+1

Postby Edstar » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:23 am

I have a 4dv. I've struggled to get any pic on dv using 755htz but on 455htz works better (approx numbers) Could be just me but regular sonar has been more effective for me personally. It's setup as a wet mount thru hull. Thru fibreglass.
I fiddle with the setting regularly maybe in time I'll get used to it. I've got a clear bottom and sometimes see fish but nothing I can't see with my regular sonar.

I'm pretty sure dv uses more power whether it's on or not. But it's never been a concern for me. 9 amp hr battery last me a full weekend if I need it to.

Edstar
Edstar
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brissy goldy
Kayaks: Stealth splash, hobie outback, Eric's tunny

Postby Edstar » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:23 am

I have a 4dv. I've struggled to get any pic on dv using 755htz but on 455htz works better (approx numbers) Could be just me but regular sonar has been more effective for me personally. It's setup as a wet mount thru hull. Thru fibreglass.
I fiddle with the setting regularly maybe in time I'll get used to it. I've got a clear bottom and sometimes see fish but nothing I can't see with my regular sonar.

I'm pretty sure dv uses more power whether it's on or not. But it's never been a concern for me. 9 amp hr battery last me a full weekend if I need it to.

Edstar
Edstar
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brissy goldy
Kayaks: Stealth splash, hobie outback, Eric's tunny

Postby NorthSIKer » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:07 am

Hmmm - mixed views straight up.

Keep them coming - food for thought - thanks.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby Dreadfish » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:50 am

im also looking at a new sounder and am probably going to go with the Garmin echomap 55dv. i understood the only difference between the echomap version and the striker version is one has maps and the other is only a gps unit. hence the price differential. and over here the non dv version has pretty much gone. so no real choice but to get DV
Dreadfish
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: wellington
Kayaks: Stealth EVO 495, OK Prowler Elite 4.5, OK Scupper Pro

Postby NorthSIKer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:47 pm

I'm tending to the DV as well - $100 more to find out if I like the feature and can still use it in traditional mode if that is required.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby MrPinkie » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:02 pm

Not sure if this is a dumb question, but do I need to buy a new transducer too if I get a new sounder/GPS like the Garmin 4dv? I currently have a Lowrance transducer and Elite 4 sounder which just stopped working completely. My Quest is apparently made to fit a Lowrance transducer too, so is it an issue fitting another brand like the Garmin to this instead?

The Garmin 4dv looks like a great unit and I'm thinking of getting one if it's an easy transition. If anyone on here is looking at selling one 2nd hand that can be posted to Qld please send me a PM thanks.
MrPinkie
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Scarborough, Queensland
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 13

Postby Shuggy22 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:13 pm

Hey mate,

I dont know if its on up there but down here in NSW bcf have 20% off garmin for members at the moment.

Hugh
Shuggy22
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Wollondilly

Postby Dreadfish » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:58 am

MrPinkie
the transducers have brand specific connectors on them but you may be able to get an adaptor cable to change it from lowrance to Garmin.
usually the lower end FFs come packaged with a transducer anyway
Dreadfish
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: wellington
Kayaks: Stealth EVO 495, OK Prowler Elite 4.5, OK Scupper Pro

Return to Sounders And GPS Units