installing a Garmin Striker Plus 7 SV

Show us your Sounders and/or GPS Units in this section.
Lovesit
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Mackay & Whitsundays

installing a Garmin Striker Plus 7 SV

#1 Post by Lovesit » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:32 pm

Hi guys, been loitering for a while but now i need to ask a question.

What size battery do i need? If someone could give me the calculation for working out the size of battery that would be great.

I have bought a Garmin Striker Plus 7 SV for my Dragon Hunter Kayak and plan to do the melted plastercien mount in the front part of the hull.

Also, for anyone with a side view transducer, do you mount on the flat part of the hull or in the "V".

Cheers guys

FishnDive
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Port Philip Bay, Western Port, Vic
Kayaks: Stealth Fisha 460 Toura 17 Pinnacle Elite

Re: installing a Garmin Striker Plus 7 SV

#2 Post by FishnDive » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:26 pm

You can only mount standard sonar and downscan transducers in the hull. For a side scan unit the beam comes out at 170 odd degrees so effectively it is shooting out of the sides of the transducer as well as the bottom. This means it needs to be in the water. You can buy commercial units for hanging the transducer over the side or you can make your own from a piece of flat ally.
In terms of battery it depends on whether you want to go with a lead acid or a li-ion unit like an FPV Power. The FPV units can be discharged much lower without damage than the equivalent SLA so you can get away with a lower amp hours.
For example if you go with a lead acid of 7ah and discharge by 60% with your sounder draw of 1A then you have about 4.2 hours
With the lithium equivalent of 7ah you can discharge to 90% so with your sounder draw of 1A you would have 6.3 hours, they are also lighter but the trade off is they are more expensive.

Victorian dealer for Stealth Performance Products & Lockrack

StevenM
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Anywhere there is water. Any fish in that pothole?

#3 Post by StevenM » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:34 am

Your side view will not work shooting through hull

I use a 12 amp battery

Cubits
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Viking Profish GT

#4 Post by Cubits » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:09 am

Lithium batteries are super good, but if you've already got a heavy kayak then the weight saving isn't really worth the cost.

It's hard to pass up on the jaycar SLA batteries. Very cheap and they last an age if looked after. I have the 12ah on my garmin 45cv and it lasts for two big trips or a week of arvo sessions. Just keep them above 12v and you'll be fine, the garmin's volt meter is good enough to track it.

Lovesit
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Mackay & Whitsundays

#5 Post by Lovesit » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:52 am

Update:

Internal install of transducer = FAIL

Have made a PVC pipe arm to hang the transducer over the side.
It is a pipe in pipe swivel design so that the transducer can be locked up while traveling, passing through shallows etc.

Now just have to take it out for a trial run! :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Sounders And GPS Units”