REVO13/PLASTICINE!?: GEAR TRACS and DSI THRU HULL SOUNDER…

Show us your Sounders and/or GPS Units in this section.

REVO13/PLASTICINE!?: GEAR TRACS and DSI THRU HULL SOUNDER…

Postby Yellafella » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:09 pm

1.jpg

Well, after much delay I’ve finally fitted out my yak (funny how having a second bub slows projects lol).

I started off with 2x gear tracs, installed to the fore gunnels. The intention was to allow for cameras (on dog bones etc) and rod holders to be placed to suit the style of fishing for the day. For those that aren’t familiar with the gear tracs, they are by YakAttack and can handle both RAM, Scotty and RailBlaza fittings. Very handy bit of kit! Come with stainless mounting hardware and required drill bit, all you need to supply is some silicone which you plunge into the holes after drilling.

2.jpg

Added to this I wanted to add a fish finder / gps combo to the left hand side (ended up choosing a elite 4x dsi). I fitted the transducer using plasticine (from a craft shop, and aka modelling clay). To do this I cut an EVA foam well, which I positioned in this case in front of the mirage drive well. This was bonded to the hull using sikaflex, which makes it a tight waterproof seal.

3.JPG

4.JPG

To allow for the transducer to be fit snugly and without air bubbles, I need to think a little outside the box. I decided to test out melting the plasticine and seeing how pliable and workable it became. I also noted how hot it would get. To my surprise it became liquid but wasn’t too hot to touch. This was perfect for not damaging the kayak hull.

5.JPG

So after melting a heap down in an old can in hot water I poured it into the well and pushed in the transducer. After a few hours it set rock hard (I generally leave my kayak upside down, and to date -2 months- it hasn’t loosened at all). I wouldn’t find out until 2 months later if the install was successful as I was sidelined…

6.JPG

7.JPG

Finally fitting the battery. I decided to go for a lithium-ion battery (9800mAh 12V). The battery is surprisingly light and does not take up precious hull space. It also lasts for long periods of time, the battery also has inbuilt protection to stop overcharging and discharge. I went with some adapters to work with the battery for quick installation and also for easy removal. A couple of water proof connectors, some cable shroud, cable grommets, waterproof container and we were in business…

8.JPG

9.JPG

Eventually I intend to use some excess EVA foam and fit this snugly in the box. The battery box will be fitted to the hull with some Velcro tape. I purposely allowed for the waterproof connector to be able to completely remove the battery box.

Taking it for the maiden voyage today, I was extremely pleased with the setup and performance. Only had 1 hour on the water (gosh it was cold! You can see the temp on the sounder) so I wasn’t expecting to do much fishing, but I was rewarded with 2x little tackers (25 ttf) which I pulled from a hole identified via the sounder (see in bottom left of pic 0.2m to +1m)!

10.png

Anyway, I just wanted to post up my experience with fitting the sounder and tracs. Hopefully gives a few of you guys some ideas, as I’ve drawn from others. The overall setup allows for quick setup and packing. Thanks for reading.

11.png

12.jpg

Just a few more shots of the install, after completing the eva foam lining in the battery box tonight:
P4210001.JPG

P4210003.JPG

P4210009.JPG

P4210012.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Yellafella on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yellafella
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Hervey Bay

Re: REVO13: GEAR TRACS and DSI THRU HULL SOUNDER FIT OUT…

Postby richo23 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:26 pm

That looks like a very professional setup and the plasticine idea is one that I haven't seen before,great idea!
Was that 11 degrees water temp? Didn't think the water was that cold here yet.
I will be chasing a few saltwater fish soon so if you like I will pm you when we are heading out.
Cheers , Richo.
richo23
KFDU Angler

Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11 Hobie Quest 11 Mirage 583 Freeride

Postby Yellafella » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:53 pm

richo23 wrote:That looks like a very professional setup and the plasticine idea is one that I haven't seen before,great idea!
Was that 11 degrees water temp? Didn't think the water was that cold here yet.
I will be chasing a few saltwater fish soon so if you like I will pm you when we are heading out.
Cheers , Richo.

For sure mate, would definitely be up for that. Can't make any promises these days though given the latest addition to the family :wink: but definitely would try my best to get out there. Thanks!

Thanks very much for the comments mate. I adapted the plasticine idea from one I had seen previous where someone had stuck it to it when solid/set (flat style transducer). They gaffa taped it down. I thought I would refine it for the rounded style dsi transducer, and melting it was definitely a good move to set the transducer nicely. There was a lot of experimenting completed during the proceed before going ahead with the install.

The water temp was prob more around 19-20 degs in the morning. That photo was just after initial launch. The yak was sitting on the roof of my car all night and I got down to the water at 5:40. Was bloody cold lol, but not that cold in the water.
Yellafella
KFDU Angler

Postby Drew » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:51 am

I love the idea of using the plasticine to hold the transducer in - one question though - if you had to get it out, is the plasticine still able to be picked out, or has it REALLY set rock hard?

I've been eyeing off those Li Ion batteries as well - where did you get that one from? eBay seems to be so hit and miss...

I'm taking a slightly different tack on mounting my Elite 4 - I'm going to use the GT90 Gear Trac down the top of the gunwale above the pocket (pretty sure it will fit), and then attach a Mad Frog board, small battery box and transducer arm to it, so the whole unit is removable...
Drew
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Melbourne
Kayaks: Hobie 2011 Outback and 2008 Revolution Fish

Postby Yellafella » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:22 pm

Hey Drew, I like the idea of using the GT90 rails for that locale a lot! Just make sure you check where your rudder cables run, as I had to make sure with my install that it didn't catch (think you'll be fine though, especially there).

Regards the battery, here tis-
Here's the original listing for my battery:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160919984900 ... _cvip=true
You can also get them in a 6800mAh (closer to the capacity of the hobie supplied size SLA Battery - 7Ah, but nowhere near the weight):
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Batterie-DC- ... 33809af32d

Also the cords provided with the battery are very fine gauge wire, and very difficult to work with. Use your existing wiring for your sounder and fuse; I would suggest getting one of these from Jaycar or alike store, and then directly terminating the existing battery/fuse wires into it (Allows for easier disconnection of the battery for charging purposes):
MALEJACK.jpg

The plasticine / modelling clay does set hard but can be scraped off if required. Here's a RANT on some of my experimenting:
For those wondering, when it does set it is hard and does become very stable (my yak sits upside down in the shed and it gets hot sometimes, it still hasn't budged over 3 months - lol battery took a while to get etc etc). I did scrape test to see if I could undo it if need be, stain tests and stability test on the kayak lid, I even set it and then put it in a hot room next to a hot water system under a hot bench to see if it would drop off a plastic container lid, I also tested set times to get a feel for it. The last important test was a cube pour, to cross cut and check for voids (air bubbles). It passed my tests so I proceeded :D . I used about 200g of the clay on experiments (you can always melt and reuse it); PLEASE NOTE: If you go down the same route of experimenting, don't be surprised to be labelled a nerd by your work mates, and an idiot by your wife lol, rant over ;-) pics below :
P1040846.JPG

P1040810.JPG

P1040805.JPG

Sorry I tend to rant, but I like to put in detail so you don't have to read between the lines. Hope this helps mate!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Yellafella on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yellafella
KFDU Angler

Postby Drew » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:08 pm

Thanks mate :-) those eBay links don't seem to work - can you maybe PM them to me?
Drew
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Melbourne
Kayaks: Hobie 2011 Outback and 2008 Revolution Fish

Postby Yellafella » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:41 pm

Drew wrote:Thanks mate :-) those eBay links don't seem to work - can you maybe PM them to me?

Hey Drew,

Updated the links above and also pm'd you :wink:
Cheers Dan
Yellafella
KFDU Angler

Postby nineworlds » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:12 am

Good read. I wonder how well the plasticine actually bonds to polyethylene. Would love to hear from you on this a few months down the track.
Ben
nineworlds
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 13

Postby Yellafella » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:11 am

nineworlds wrote:Good read. I wonder how well the plasticine actually bonds to polyethylene. Would love to hear from you on this a few months down the track.

Mate, I'll maybe do 1-2 month updates on how the setup is going depending on the interest for the validity of a plasticine setup. So far so good. I'll also in future post some direct snaps from the sounder.
Yellafella
KFDU Angler

Postby addysol » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:28 am

Lots of respect for someone who does a bit of materials testing at home, well done. The plasticine is certainly a new twist on thru hull mounts. Very slick setup :grin: :grin:
-Adam

Brisbane Kayak Fishing Club
Image Image
Yak PB's
Aus Bass -26cm , Fork-Tail Catfish -30cm, Fresh Water Catfish -42cm, Snub Nosed Garfish -16cm, Whiting -26cm, Squire -28cm, Bream - 23cm, Grinner - 36cm, Shovel-nose - 70cm, Flathead (WOOO) - 41cm
addysol
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Moreton Bay
Kayaks: Hobie Revolution 11 "Red Baron"

Postby intrepid » Wed May 22, 2013 10:51 am

Yellafella wrote:Mate, I'll maybe do 1-2 month updates on how the setup is going depending on the interest for the validity of a plasticine setup.

is it a month yet?!?!

just about to do my new transducer - still deciding if i just use all-clear or poly-clay...
Dave - still learning what i don't know...
intrepid
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: red Revo 13 with livewell

Postby arpie » Wed May 22, 2013 12:50 pm

Cool, efficient setup!! Love the Plasticine fit - and the lighter battery has to be good! Do you have to remove it for charging? I understand those type can be tricky for charging in confined spaces?

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby OziYak » Wed May 22, 2013 3:39 pm

Hi

Thank you, I am looking at the buying a sounder and how to fit it project myself and have been reading post on here, this is a detailed and good post which answered some questions I had which other post had not covered.

Thanks again and hope all goes well with the new addition to the family
OziYak
KFDU Angler

Kayaks: Foxx and Mini X

Postby Yellafella » Sat May 25, 2013 6:07 pm

Thanks for all the comments and interest guys and gals!

Hi Intrepid, indeed it has been over a month. The fit out is still going great guns. I took the yak down to the Bass comp at Lake Macdonald (first abt event I've done, 3rd time basson lol, and pleased to say I had a great time). The sounder, and plasticine more importantly, did not disappoint. 3 hours on the road down, and 3 hours back, some rough 4wd during the weekend too and the transducer is still sending good signals. In between I've done a fair few trips out, including today. I've attached a few images from the unit that were direct from the unit to memory card:

Screen020.jpg

Screen030.jpg

Hi Roberta, I do remove the battery box for charging (it can be removed with ease given it attached to the hull via 2x strips of velcro tape - crates a sturdy hold too while on the water). It is dual purpose, as I like to remove the battery box while traveling. All in all, the setup only takes a couple of minutes to remove and setup (battery and head unit). Greatest risk of failure on the battery is during charging too, as per your post. What people forget though, is these batteries are as risky as the old trusty mobile phone :grin: . Battery life is awesome. At Lake Macdonald, I had the sounder going for 8 hours, the next day I got home I went for another 2 hour flick without charging. No probs!

Thanks too OziYak, glad to hear the post has helped you. Any questions, I'm more than happy to give you my opinion or help as much as I can.

Cheers and will keep updating on how the setup is goin.
-Dan

Screen018.jpg
Yellafella
KFDU Angler

Postby intrepid » Mon May 27, 2013 12:51 pm

Yellafella wrote: The sounder, and plasticine more importantly, did not disappoint. 3 hours on the road down, and 3 hours back, some rough 4wd during the weekend too and the transducer is still sending good signals. In between I've done a fair few trips out, including today. I've attached a few images from the unit that were direct from the unit to memory card:

thanks mate - sounds good, i will get onto this now... still waiting for my battery to arrive, but will get the tranny in now...
Dave - still learning what i don't know...
intrepid
KFDU Angler

Kayaks: red Revo 13 with livewell

Next

Return to Sounders And GPS Units