What do you use to maintain your sounder plugs

Show us your Sounders and/or GPS Units in this section.
sym0
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Moreton Bay
Kayaks: Profish 400 Lite

Re: What do you use to maintain your sounder plugs

#16 Post by sym0 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:23 pm

Silicon Spray

wongus
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Qld
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 13 & Perception Swing

#17 Post by wongus » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:48 pm

Hi,

Reviving an old topic and a warning to others.

Picked up a Lowrance Hook2 5 Splitshot sounder. The new sounder has power and transducer leads that plug straight into the head unit with no locking mechanism unlike the older Lowrance units like the Elite series.

Well after my first trip out, I hosed off the sounder unit with fresh water and sprayed some inox onto the pins for both leads and the head unit like I have done with all my previous sounders to avoid corrosion. Well, this was a bad mistake as the plugs no longer fit snugly and is likely due to a reaction of the o-ring causing it to swell (Note the o-ring isn't a discrete loose item but embedded as part of the cables, so not easily replaced). The plugs post inox keeps popping out after hand pressure is released.

Some people are suggesting dielectric grease but I also read that this is an insulator and as such shouldn't be used on pins directly but rather used as a seal around plugs. So for those that disconnect their head unit after each outing, is "contact cleaner" the best option? Do people still rinse off the connections with fresh water (I car top my yak so there is risk of salt water ingress to exposed cables on trip home) before applying contact cleaner?
Cheers
Danny

Yak PB's: Bream 41cm, Tailor 35cm (approx), Saratoga 45 (approx.), Flathead 72cm, Bass 56cm, Yellowbelly 54cm, Estuary Cod 55cm, Snapper 70cm, Mack Tuna 73cm, Longtail Tuna 95cm, Shark (Black Tip Reef) 92cm.

pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR
Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

#18 Post by pdfarrell » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:09 am

wongus wrote:So for those that disconnect their head unit after each outing, is "contact cleaner" the best option? Do people still rinse off the connections with fresh water (I car top my yak so there is risk of salt water ingress to exposed cables on trip home) before applying contact cleaner?
I don't rinse my connections at all. Just a very liberal soaking in contact cleaner after each outing.
As for the head unit itself, I just wipe mine over with a damp cloth.

Had trouble with water ingress in a Lowrance Chirp 4, so hesitant to spray 'rinse' them with water.
The ingress was not from rinsing though, was out fishing in heavy rain.
The screen started fogging up, then the back light went in it.
While it was still working, was impossible to see in daylight.

Cheers,
PF
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught..."

Member of

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

#19 Post by Ads22 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:22 am

I don't spray my sounders either. I use a damp to wet cloth to remove dirt and salt, then dry. I use dielectric grease on all connections and have no dramas thus far, touch wood.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Southern NSW
Kayaks: Adventure Island and Stealth Profisha 525

#20 Post by XDCammer » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:20 pm

And the winner is...................DRUM ROLL.......................................................... YAKDOQ.

Lanox, is a natural product and it will not degrade your rubber fittings.

Been using it for my yaks and others in the shop for years.

For what it's worth.

XD
Time spent on reconnaissance is time never wasted.

Return to “Sounders And GPS Units”