looking for advice on sounder for Hobie Adventure 16

Show us your Sounders and/or GPS Units in this section.

looking for advice on sounder for Hobie Adventure 16

Postby PolarBear » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:14 am

Hi All

I have a 2013 Hobie Adventure 16. I will be fishing primarily in Port Hacking. I was looking at the Garmin echoMAP 45dv Combo (non chirp) on clearance at my local fishing store for $399 and the Lowrance Hook 4 combo with chirp for the same price. Sale ends tomorrow lol. I had a look at the Raymarine Dragonfly online but my local shops do not carry it so I cannot have a look in person. I fish for flathead, bream, blackfish, and well who knows what once my mobility increases with the yak.

Bear :pirat:
PolarBear
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sydney Australia
Kayaks: Hobie Adventure 16

Re: looking for advice on sounder for Hobie Adventure 16

Postby laneends » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:51 am

Biggest issue with an Adventure is where to mount it, Upfront is too far to reach any adjustments, By the side inhibits ability to hang legs over the side, which is done by most adventure owners for stability at anchor or on drift. Further away it is the greater the benefits of a larger srceen and less the practicality of split screen mode on smaller models, it also increases and glare issues.

Dont know about the garmin but the hook 4 is a very popular unit for the price.
laneends
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

Postby PolarBear » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:04 am

Thank you

I was thinking of putting one of those sliding tracks on the side so that I could slide the sounder out of the way when I wanted to plop both legs overboard. I see you have the Revo 16 much the same boat from my understanding save the seat. Where did you mount yours?

Bear
PolarBear
KFDU Angler

Postby laneends » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:31 pm

Front offset, I had some railblaza adjustable extensions spare so used them. A ram extension would do equally. Brings it closer so its just above my foot pedal. Not being on the side rails in front the holders as you often find, it doesn't get in the way of rods pointing dead ahead for travelling with rods in holders

Also leaves dead centre location spare to install a berkly QS on extension up front with rod butt lining up between pedals. So I can pedal without hitting a rod there.

Had thought about gear tracs etc, but they are expensive and the scotty recessed mounts work fine for both scotty rockets or berkley QS rod holders.
P1000771.JPG

P1000769.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
laneends
KFDU 500 Club

Postby PolarBear » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:23 pm

Thanks for the pics mate they really help.

What model Lowrance is that? Just so I have an idea of screen size relative to its location. I like your idea

Bear
PolarBear
KFDU Angler

Postby laneends » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:44 am

lowrance 4xdsi. TBH the colour contrast is not bright enough making it even harder to see forward like that. Its from a previous yak and I hope to upgrade to 5" unit sometime in the future.

The current lowrence 4's have a bigger screen still than these older ones. With better screen visibility

It just swings to the side if i want to access the front hatch.

I transport yak right way up so sounder stays onboard and I just pivot the arm down flat for transport and storage.
laneends
KFDU 500 Club

Return to Sounders And GPS Units