Sounder /GPS Plotter or Sounder and Navionics on phone?

Show us your Sounders and/or GPS Units in this section.

Sounder /GPS Plotter or Sounder and Navionics on phone?

Postby PolarBear » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:41 pm

Hi All

Looking to add a sounder to my yak. I have a Hobie Adventure (Revolution) 16 and I am looking to put a sounder on it. I found I can get Navionics on my smartphone. I was wondering if any of you use your smart phone for navigation and have a dedicated sounder? The chartplotter option on the sounders adds a fair bit of coin,, much more than getting the app for my phone. The downside I see is power consumption on the phone and having one more gadget out and about in a small work space. Just looking for your thoughts

Cheers

Bear
PolarBear
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sydney Australia
Kayaks: Hobie Adventure 16

Re: Sounder /GPS Plotter or Sounder and Navionics on phone?

Postby simons rat » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:16 pm

I do not use my phone for navigation ... but you can buy battery packs that charge your phone . This is what I do when using my Deeper Sounder, which uses the phone as a display.

cheers,

S
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A little something else ....

Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/BladeKayakTV
Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishfidler/sets/72157625258444623/
simons rat
KFDU Site Manager

Local Fishing Region: brisbane

Re: Sounder /GPS Plotter or Sounder and Navionics on phone?

Postby laneends » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:44 pm

I use navionics on the phone. But it is inconvenient compared to a sounder, it does chew through your phone battery if you leave it on. So its ok to check where you are occasionally but not to monitor as you go. Also phones are expensive and the less you have to get them out the better. My next sounder will have a plotter for sure. Plotter on the sounder also goes along with the theme of hands free operation.
laneends
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

Return to Sounders And GPS Units