Kayak battery

Show us your Sounders and/or GPS Units in this section.

Kayak battery

Postby NathanG » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:31 pm

Will a DC 12V 12000MAH power pack work with my sounder 12000mah works out at around 11ah
Member of
ImagePB Luderick 36.5cm
NathanG
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Dungog- Hunter Region
Kayaks: Hobie PA 14

Re: Kayak battery

Postby callook69 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:52 am

As long as it isn't out of a samsung :lol:
callook69
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: brisbane

Postby NathanG » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:20 am

callook69 wrote:As long as it isn't out of a samsung :lol:

Tru tru those note7 go kaboom :lol:
Member of
ImagePB Luderick 36.5cm
NathanG
KFDU Angler

Postby andio » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:50 pm

12,000mah is exactly 12AH. It will work with your sounder.
andio
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane bayside

Postby laneends » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:04 pm

NathanG wrote:Will a DC 12V 12000MAH power pack work with my sounder 12000mah works out at around 11ah

Most sounders draw 0.3-0.5 amps, plotters more than basic. Typical batteries are 7200mAH and will run all day so you will have more than enough. Main consideration is it will be physically heavier and probably more expensive than need be. If you want to light up light a Christmas tree and fish all night then it would be a good size.
laneends
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

Postby NathanG » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:51 pm

laneends wrote:
NathanG wrote:Will a DC 12V 12000MAH power pack work with my sounder 12000mah works out at around 11ah

Most sounders draw 0.3-0.5 amps, plotters more than basic. Typical batteries are 7200mAH and will run all day so you will have more than enough. Main consideration is it will be physically heavier and probably more expensive than need be. If you want to light up light a Christmas tree and fish all night then it would be a good size.
this things tiny weighs didly

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/112181909833

Want it to powered sounder and a few Led strip lights
Member of
ImagePB Luderick 36.5cm
NathanG
KFDU Angler

Postby spork » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:53 pm

they work fine - but in reality it's prob. closer to 8000mah.
I have a couple of the 9800mah ones - they run a 4" sounder all weekend, but only get about 6 hours on a 7" screen.
The dinosaur batteries (SLA) are much closer to their rated AH, but they weigh a lot more and are much bulkier. If you want to have power all weekend for a bigger sounder without recharging ,and weight and size matter, get 2 - 3 of the one you linked.
Free-range fisherman.
spork
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Tasmania
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Outback, Hobie PA 12.

Postby NathanG » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:42 pm

Cheers there not that much more then the old big buggers.
Member of
ImagePB Luderick 36.5cm
NathanG
KFDU Angler

Postby CAV » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:40 am

if you go down the route, just keep in mind it is extremely hard to ship lithium batteries these days due to them being classed as a dangerous good.
Not saying it can't be done,
CAV
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Deception Bay/ Redcliffe / Bribie Island
Kayaks: Bandit 550 Fisha Profisha 525

Postby jb2020 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:48 pm

careful about the ratings on lithium batteries especially those with multiple voltage outputs. The sellers will often list the consumption for 5V or less, not 12V to make it look better. eg a battery can have 5600mAh @ 5V but will be 3800mA @ 12V.
I've been using a chinese 'blue brick' 9800 without problem for my elite4 chirp for a couple of years now. yet to drain it in a session. Light, compact and cheap...ticks all the boxes for me!
jb2020
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: VIC
Kayaks: OK Trident

Postby pavo » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:14 am

I run my 6inch raymarine dragonfly combo on one of the and never had it run flat in a day.
pavo
KFDU 3000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Coffs coast
Kayaks: Stealth Fisfa 500. Hobie PA 14 ,Oldtown loon 111 in cammo

Postby chrisw » Tue May 23, 2017 3:54 pm

I know I'm a little late replying to this thread but I thought I'd put in some info for reference for next time this comes up as we recently had a thread covering this over at VYAK.

I'm posting this both as a user and as an engineer who has designed Li-Ion battery packs for industrial equipment.

Some modern sounders can chew up a fair bit of juice; e.g. the Lowrance Elite 7 Ti has a documented typical draw of 0.9a when fully operational. This isn't bad but I often spend 8 or more hours on the water and a 9ah SLA doesn't really cut the mustard (9ah being the standard battery installed with the Hobie sounder kits).

On my yak (PA14 so plenty of extra room and weight capacity) I have changed that to the 18AH SLA sold by Jaycar. This is (at the time of writing) the exact same brand and manuacturer as the Hobie 9AH unit and costs about the same. I've never come close to flattening this one; it's still at 12.3v after a solid 8 hours on the water plus I have capacity to run lights if I need to. Downside is it's somewhat heavier, you'll need to terminate it yourself, and you may want to make a special battery clip to hold it in place as it won't fit in the standard hobie one.

If you want to save weight and/or space then you need a rechargable battery with higher energy density; these days this for all intents and purposes will mean some form of Lithium chemistry. However Li-Ion is not a good choice for yaks (particularly plastic ones) since if in the unlikely event it does go bad and overheat it could melt a hole in your hull giving you a glug-glug experience if you're on the water at the time ...

In addition it's a well-known issue within the industry that a good number of the Li-Ion packs being sold on eBay etc - especially those from overseas - do not actually have the claimed capacity. Sometimes it's downright substitution of lower-rated cells, and sometimes it's even used cells being re-packed and shipped as new. Not all sellers do this of course, so do your research. On eBay be particularly wary of sellers with a feedback of less than 99%, especially if they have have more than a few hundred ratings total.

If you want something light and powerful for a yak a much safer solution would be LiFePO4 (also lithium but doesn't have the same problems as Li-Ion). For example one of these should give well over 1,000 cycles and has an in-built battery management system; the 12AH at $130 might be a reasonable choice (note I haven't dealt with that company, I'm just using them as an example).

It is technically possible to use an SLA charger with some LiFePO4 batteries (such as these) though there's some argument as to whether you should or shouldn't with generic ones. Sometimes you can get by with it provided the battery has an internal BMS, but if you want to be sure you are best off spending the additional $100 or so for a smart charger.
chrisw
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Port Phillip Bay
Kayaks: Dune PA14

Return to Sounders And GPS Units