Garmin striker 5 down view

Show us your Sounders and/or GPS Units in this section.

Garmin striker 5 down view

Postby cwsco » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:20 pm

Hi Everyone
Anyone using the above sounder
What is your opinion on performance
Do you find gps adequate
Thanks
Pbs flathead 73cm bream 42cm whiting 40cm grunter 48cm mulloway 80cm spotty mack 80cm cod 45 cm
cwsco
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: fraser coast
Kayaks: hobie revolution 13 native watercraft slayer 13

Re: Garmin striker 5 down view

Postby PiscatorialPursuit » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:42 pm

Dont have one but have been considering the sv option.
Reckon only you can decide if the GPS is satisfactory for your style n location of fishing.
Remember it is GPS only not a charplotter. There are no maps.
For the places i use my kayak which are small creeks n man made lakes a plotter is overkill in my book making the striker excellent value.
If however you want more detail such as contour lines or an ability to do your own mapping it wont suit. For the later you'll need to look at echomap as a starting point.
PiscatorialPursuit
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: the internet
Kayaks: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Slayer 10x2

Postby WAGrunter » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:23 pm

Had the striker 7 sv for awhile now . Used the Berly pro cover for the trans . Sits in lowest part of hull and gets dragged about . Very durable material is 3D printed . I never new it was so strong .
Anyway sounder has been awesome and still learning it's features to most benefit yak. Side view still a bit mysterious to me . Doesn't have maps like 75sv model . Just waypoint markers and route . Still has Gps so has satellite time and speed over ground . Clarity is its strongpoint. If I did it again I reckon I'd go the 75sv (almost double the price with chirp ) as I'd like the contour maps and pan optics (3D image ) looks amazing .

For entry level side view with compact transducer, it's blood good eh ,
image hosting over 5mb
WAGrunter
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: AAAAH- OWEE (Cockburn Sound )
Kayaks: Hobie outback-LE pew. Seabird fisherman 12 .. Both rigged for sailing

Postby cwsco » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:35 am

Thanks guys
Yes I fish estuary mostly and occassionally close reefs in the bay, so no need for a plotter.j
Just to be able to mark waypoints will be fine.
yes I hear you wa grunter,it does take a bit to interperit the side view image after normal sounder view.
Thinking of using a ram mount to suit, but couldnt find dedicated listing for strikers on their website
1" ball would do for 5dv, but would it support 7sv ok?
Anyone using these
Cheers
Pbs flathead 73cm bream 42cm whiting 40cm grunter 48cm mulloway 80cm spotty mack 80cm cod 45 cm
cwsco
KFDU Angler

Postby PiscatorialPursuit » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:04 pm

cwsco wrote:yes I hear you wa grunter,it does take a bit to interperit the side view image after normal sounder view.

So probably not the best picture to help explain side view.

Lowrance screen shots 6.jpg

Side imaging is on the top right hand side of this screen shot.
The thin white line down the centre is your boats path, current position at the top.
Either side of this is the darker black lines. This is the water beneath your vessel. In the pic you can see the turbulence from my boats propeller quiet easily. You will also note that that line stretches from 0 -5. That is the depth of the water under the hull is 5m. See traditional sonar on the left. Actual depth is 5.3m
The area from 5 out to 25 is the area 25m either side of the boat. Its not the best picture because you should be able to make out the fish in the image but with the screen dirty its a bit harder. Fish, or bream in my case, usually appear as grains of rice on the side imaging screen as can be seen on the down imaging screen below it.

Hope that helps mate.
Its a great tool to have because traditional sonar & downscan will only show you whats underneath your vessel. Be as little as metre away from a bait ball or snag & you'll miss it. With side imaging, you have a far greater chance of finding those things. In the scenario you describe, I would rate it far more useful than a plotter because with topography in flood prone creeks changing all the time, side scan will help you find the new deep water snags or where old ones have been relocated.

For anyone having trouble with this type of thing, I could not recommend highly enough that you take advantage of any free seminars in your area. These are usually held by different marine dealerships at different times. Just because that dealer mightn't have the same make of sounder as you, dont let that sway you as the principles are the same. The other useful tool is Facebook. There are a tonne of pages with questions about what is being shown on the screen. Sometimes these questions help with your own or arm you for later scenarios when they pop up on your screen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PiscatorialPursuit
KFDU Angler

Postby cwsco » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:37 pm

Hi Piscatorial Pursuit
Wow ,great screenshot
When you say you have turbulence from your prop,where do you have your transducer mounted?
I have slayer13 and was going to mount transducer to port side on home made drop down arm
What type of mount do you use for your screen?
Thanks for reply,very informative
Thats the great thing about this forum .cheers :gu:
cwsco
KFDU Angler

Postby PiscatorialPursuit » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:57 pm

Sorry mate. Probably should have clarified .........
That sounder sits on my boat. Prop wash is from the ponies on the back.
Dont yet have a side imaging sounder on my kayak, only a downscan unit.
Regarding your question on how & where to place a Tx for your sounder. This screen shot taken on a swollen Glenelg River recently shows the image on an Elite 7hdi with the Tx mounted inside the hull of my SP13.
I have mounted it forward of front panel in such a way as it does not interfere with the Berleypro dual battery harness that sits in there if that makes sense.
Hope that helps mate.

sounding up fish.jpg

If you are on FB, try looking up a bloke named Ben Farro. He runs a Native n Garmin combo with sideview. He also mounted the Tx inside the hull and could possibly help you a little better in that regard. As I say, I havent yet taken the plunge on the SV.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PiscatorialPursuit
KFDU Angler

Postby PiscatorialPursuit » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:42 pm

So here is a better image that might help explain things better also.

This was a tightly packed school of juvenile Salmon.
In traditional sonar you can see them as a mass, downscan helps to separate them a little. In side view, there are fish on both sides of the boat because i went over the school but they were mostly to right of my position. The light Blue dots are the fish. On the left side of the screen there are some fish, the light blue haze between 3.5 n 5m then you can make out a few rocks and at 8 or 9 metres the image gets darker. Its at that point that a breakwater starts rising up from the bottom.
PiscatorialPursuit
KFDU Angler

Postby cwsco » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:31 pm

Thanks very mate,again very informative
Appreciate the screen shots
Cheers
cwsco
KFDU Angler

Return to Sounders And GPS Units