Retractable transducer mount for Viking Profish Tackle Pod

Show us your Sounders and/or GPS Units in this section.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Retractable transducer mount for Viking Profish Tackle Pod

#1 Post by Ads22 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:05 am

So, I have been looking into doing a sounder mount for the Viking Tackle Pod for a while. I have two previous posts referring to mounting the Garmin echoMAP CHIRP 75sv sounder on the Profish Tackle Pod.
https://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic ... 54&t=50764
https://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic ... 54&t=51691

A standard fixed mount was used in the first post, but this houses the transducer within the transducer recess, which prevents the sideview or sidescan from working with my Garmin GT52HW-TM transducer. Some of the other transducers do not fit in the transducer recess, such as the Lowrance Totalscan, requiring them to be mounted below the pod.

The second post shows an extension that I made up from some parts easily obtained at Bunnings. This works well to provide sideview, however, brings the transducer into harms way when fixed in position for transport, launching/landing or over shallow ground, as for the Totalscan transducers mounted below the pod.

It took a while, but after measuring up the tackle pod and doing some dodgy sketches, I decided to try my hand at design. My maths is usually pretty good, but drawing, not so good. I had a play around and managed to design something and had a prototype 3D printed. I now have a functioning prototype fitted to my tackle pod that allows me to easily retract the transducer when required, or lower it for use and obtaining good sideview. I have tested this a couple of time now and it works a charm.

I now have a dilemma. I have always been the type of person that just likes to help people - do things or give things to people just because it helps. However, I now have something that I have created from my own brain that is actually functional. I have no doubt that it is useful for some people that are wanting to run sideview in the Viking Tackle Pod, with transducers that will fit into the recess such as some Humminbird units, as well as some Garmin units. I can only imagine in the future more will fit into this bracket.

I might be interested in either selling the design or getting this manufactured, however, don't know where to start. The 3D printing process is too expensive at present, although, still cheaper than a new $500 transducer.

Alternately, I could sell the design to be used for 3D printing. I'm not sure there is enough value in spending money on a patent.

I do have a video showing the product in action, but keeping that pretty close for the time being.

I'm interested in ideas, thoughts or experiences of people that may know more of these areas than myself.

Cheers,

Adam
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: Retractable transducer mount for Viking Profish Tackle Pod

#2 Post by arpie » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:13 pm

Great design, Adam .... and with your working model being the Pod Design in the Viking Yaks - I reckon you've got a custom market 'ready to go'!

Definitely pitch it to the Viking guys ..... I think they would be extremely interested in it - as the side scan imaging is becoming more popular all over! I think everyone worries about scratching their transducer when it is 'proud' of the base of the yak

Well done
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

Return to “Sounders And GPS Units”