Salty Reels

Discuss fishing tackle related topics here.

Salty Reels

Postby clutch » Fri May 19, 2017 2:07 pm

I have written elsewhere in the forum about my exploits leading to multiple dunkings of my posh Daiwa reels. Kudos to tech guys at Daiwa. In contrast to their normal time lags, they jump submerged reels to the front of the queue as obviously damage continues to occur over time as salt continues to weave its special magic.

Tech suggested that going forward I get a reel around the $150.00 price point for saltwater kayak use, and keep posh reels for boat fishing and tournaments and freshwater. Not that I am that interested in tournaments. The perspective is that in recent history I have spent twice this amount on rebuilds.

V good advice, especially re large open waterways with a lot of boat traffic and/ or after dark, and in my Old Town Loon!.!! .

I will save up to cover the repair costs and then eventually for a $150 reel. Not one with Magseal so I can maintain it myself. Meanwhile I will press an old rough TD sol into action, and may even get the old Airity out of the pool room. Meanwhile, I will have to brace myself for the rounds of the kitchen from my wife when she sees the repair bill on the credit card. I am expecting an absolute bollicking. Maybe I should launch a preemptive strike, and fess up!!!

So what do y'all think about a cheaper reel for the salt? I suspect that may be less of an issue in something bigger or with more freeboard than my sik, like a larger Honlbie or a Prowler 4.3. Or with someone more coordinated than me.

Clutch
YAK PBs... Flathead 75 cm, Silver Trevally 55 cm, Tailor 50 cm, Australian Salmon 45 cm, Wild Bass 44 cm, Bream 32 cm, Estuary Perch 32 cm, one squid, one pike
clutch
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Port Hacking, Cowan Creek (Tailor Salmon Flathead) Upper Nepean (Bass)
Kayaks: Old Town Loon 111 sit in

Re: Salty Reels

Postby BrettoQld » Fri May 19, 2017 2:32 pm

Its pretty easy to self service reels that don't require the use of special oil.

Worst case you forgo replacing the mag-seal oil on your reel and service yourself anyway.

If you're a kayak fisho, I can't see the point in buying a reel only to be used on boats.
Cheers,
Bretto
BrettoQld
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Scarborough
Kayaks: Esky Lid

Postby NorthSIKer » Fri May 19, 2017 7:11 pm

Two ways to go with this I believe.

First is a to buy an (expensive) properly sealed reel like a Van Staal, Zeebaas, Penn Torque or maybe Shimano Saragosa/Spheros. They are basically all built to take dunkings with usual maintenance. The first two in particular are designed for skishing - where you swim in the sea with a buoyant wetsuit fishing as you go!

Other is to buy a normal, unsealed reel (but must be with the locomotive type gears, not worm gear like Shimano Stradic), open it up and pack it full of marine grease. The grease will stop most issues from a dunking so long as you service it fairly soon (e.g. in the week) after a dunking. Surf fishers in the USA have been doing this for decades.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby Edstar » Sat May 20, 2017 9:22 am

I would go penn spin fisher v. Tough as nails but probably doesn't feel as smooth as the more $$$$ ones. Or go ultra cheap kast king sharks 2 for $45 (eBay) I'm trying it out right now but time will tell only used it a couple of time so far. I also saw a magseal imitation on eBay for $13. But I highly doubt it work :lol:
Edstar.
Edstar
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brissy goldy
Kayaks: Stealth splash, hobie outback, Eric's tunny

Postby mouse » Sat May 20, 2017 10:03 am

Not sure why your reels are always getting dunked?, I would address the cause.
Maybe the Loon isn't suitable for the conditions.
Cheers,
Kym
mouse
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: SEQ

Postby clutch » Sat May 20, 2017 1:58 pm

Mouse, you make a very good point. In the Loon the water line is at about my belly button level. (105 kg). The coaming is at about the level of my rib cage. So not that hard to dunk a reel in your right hand as you net with your left hand.

Some dunking associated with a capsize, which will obviously have serious consequences. Loon relatively stable, but can still and does very very occasionally tip, with ugly consequences, especially in the salt.

With the wisdom of retrospect, and increased confidence with maintenance, I would have bought 2500 different/ much more basic) model of Daiwa (without magseal) or Shimano.

Alas I had a rush of blood to the head in December 2016 when on a mega sale at a tackle shop there was a 2013 Certate 2500 for $375.00. Exquisite reel, I lose all sense of self control in tackle shops.

So this is why for immediate purposes I will use Certates in fresh yak, or in shore/ boat in salt. Plan then to recoup repair costs over time with my "pocket money" and then work towards cheapie for salt..

Thanks all for your input.

Clutch
YAK PBs... Flathead 75 cm, Silver Trevally 55 cm, Tailor 50 cm, Australian Salmon 45 cm, Wild Bass 44 cm, Bream 32 cm, Estuary Perch 32 cm, one squid, one pike
clutch
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Port Hacking, Cowan Creek (Tailor Salmon Flathead) Upper Nepean (Bass)
Kayaks: Old Town Loon 111 sit in

Return to Tackle Talk