This year's "go to" hard body lures for the estuary

Discuss fishing tackle related topics here.

This year's "go to" hard body lures for the estuary

Postby clutch » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:54 am

Most productive lures in last year for me... on right hand side...

Ecogear SX 60 baitfish colour for various flathead.

Atomic vibe in "muddy prawn" for trevally squid pike.

Old school Wonder Wobbler 10 gm for big tailor.

Sammy in various colour schemes for Aus Salmon, EP, Bass, and stolen ruthlessly by tailor along with a Bevy Prop (expensive day)

What other hard bodies are people using in the estuaries?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YAK PBs... Flathead 75 cm, Silver Trevally 55 cm, Tailor 50 cm, Australian Salmon 45 cm, Wild Bass 44 cm, Bream 32 cm, Estuary Perch 32 cm, one squid, one pike
clutch
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Port Hacking, Cowan Creek (Tailor Salmon Flathead) Upper Nepean (Bass)
Kayaks: Old Town Loon 111 sit in

Re: This year's "go to" hard body lures for the estuary

Postby dirvin21 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:39 pm

ecogear sx 40
strikepro pygmy
zerek tango shad
black magic bmax
yakamito sinking stick baits
cranka crabs

this has me covered bream, flathead and trevally plus whatever else is out there
PB: BASS: 47cm, SNAPPER: 62cm, TAILOR: 60cm, BREAM: 43cm, FLATHEAD: 65cm, GOLDEN PERCH: 52cm, JEW: 33cm

NSW NORTH COAST KAYAK FISHING CLUB
dirvin21
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Nambucca Heads
Kayaks: sit-on fisherman

Postby Aussie54 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:38 pm

Hole eeee smoke, A Wonder Wobler. I was using these in the early 70's down off Ramsgate baths for tailor. They must be good. Strike Pro Pygmy is one of my favourites for bream too. Catches the occasional flatly too in shallow water.
Regards, Wayne A.
Aussie54
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sydney metro, upper Nepean River & South Coast
Kayaks: Native Watercraft Slayer Propel

Postby arpie » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:50 pm

Wonder Wobbler ..... I am SURE I have a couple of those in a tackle box somewhere! :grin: They've been around forever!

For Wallis Lake, for bream, I pretty well always use Pontoon 21 shallow diving Crackajacks & Greedyguts and DTSCOs on the flats & more recently, Damiki Saemi & deeper diving CJs and GGs in the deeper water - as they suspend & because they work so well (on big flatties too.) :gu:

Topwater, I still go back to my Sammys - but I've also had some excellent results with Damiki Umpa poppers on the flats ... they are smaller than most, so land without a splash - and are lethal in the racks & shallow snags! I remove the middle treble & replace the rear treble with a set of assist hooks ..... the bream don't seem to mind. :wink:

You'll get Trevally on these as well! :lek:

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby clutch » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:16 am

Hey Roberta, seen you Umpa Popper assist hook mods on photos in other posts. Looks awesome. My understanding is that once fish hooked on Assist hooks it is hard for them to get off. Is this so?

As for Wonder Wobblers, I was catching tailor and flathead on them 40 yrs ago as a teenager. Always reliable.

One thing I do miss is the Abu Toby's (a different shaped spoon if you are not familiar). Haven't seen these for decades.

They were really good on estuary tailor.

As for Sammy's, I currently have 4 colour schemes for fresh and salt, however spewing because a tailor took an olive pearl one that I really liked that I have not seen in shops or on line. Hooked a 45 cm salmon under the chin with this and stayed hooked up for a 10 minute fight.
YAK PBs... Flathead 75 cm, Silver Trevally 55 cm, Tailor 50 cm, Australian Salmon 45 cm, Wild Bass 44 cm, Bream 32 cm, Estuary Perch 32 cm, one squid, one pike
clutch
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Port Hacking, Cowan Creek (Tailor Salmon Flathead) Upper Nepean (Bass)
Kayaks: Old Town Loon 111 sit in

Postby arpie » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:32 pm

.....My understanding is that once fish hooked on Assist hooks it is hard for them to get off. Is this so?....

I think so too, Clutch! Because the Umpa is a smaller lure, with the middle hook 'left on' it will catch the assist hooks a lot of the time which becomes a real pain - another reason for removing the middle hook ...... and also, with the middle hook ON - you can barely see the popper in the water = so removing it makes it sit a bit 'proud' of the water & you get that nice bloop action! :wink:

I can remember Tobys ...... I think I have a few years on you too! :wink: I probably have a couple in the garage ...... somewhere! :oops:

.. I currently have 4 colour schemes for fresh and salt...

I wish I only had 4 colours! :idiot: They have an amazing colour range, that is for sure! Sometimes I add assist hooks to them as well, if the fish are 'shy' & biting behind the lure instead of onto the treble! You can leave the middle hook on too. :gu: Shame you lost one to the tailor - it can be an expensive sport! That's the other reason I use Umpas ..... they are very reasonably priced ($6 from memory!)
Check 'em out here! http://www.masterangler.com.au/p/923960 ... ours-.html

Rob also gives a free lure with every order (virtually reducing the cost of your overall tally) - and free delivery on orders more than $80 - express delivery if over $100 ..... so well worth stocking up on a few other lures as well!! The Slider Grubs are brilliant for bass when used with a Betts spinner :wink: You can message him here too, he is 'zimman'

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Return to Tackle Talk