‘Paperclip’ Style Terminal Snaps – A Decade of Experiments

Discuss fishing tackle related topics here.

Re: ‘Paperclip’ Style Terminal Snaps – A Decade of Experimen

Postby NorthSIKer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:15 pm

hillbilly wrote:I'm curious to where you can purchase the clips online. I have written down the codes from the USA website (Breakaway Tackle) but can't seem get a postage to Australia option. Looked at the English site where it was a bit more confusing and the codes were different so I wasn't sure. Steve or Northskier, where did you purchase yours and what was the approximate cost with shipping. Eg. packs of 10 Regards Bill

I buy mine directly from Breakaway Tackle in the UK. I haven't bought any in years as I last bought a 100 pack of each but I can't remember shipping being super expensive then (though relative to a pack of 10 it is high).

I can see them on ebay for about $5 a pack of 10 plus $8 shipping. I think they are only $2-$3 per pack of 10 directly on the Breakaway UK site?

There are a number of other brands but I don't know their relative merits. I believe the Breakaway ones are pretty well regarded.

Lastly - got to say I am surprised how much interest there has been on this forum in these things!
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby MarkinBrissy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:30 pm

Great post!
I am a big fan of anything that makes things easier without sacrificing quality!
I will try some of those for sure.

I have to say i am big fan of the Mustad Fastach size 1.
Have used them for years with never a failure. Used for bread and butter species, 6-10lb line 6-15lb leader.Soft and hard lures.

http://www.wilsonfishing.com/Products/T ... ad-Fastach
MarkinBrissy
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane, Moreton Bay
Kayaks: Feelfree Moken 10 Lite, Viking Profish 400

Postby Steve R » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:20 pm

hillbilly wrote:I'm curious to where you can purchase the clips online. I have written down the codes from the USA website (Breakaway Tackle) but can't seem get a postage to Australia option. Looked at the English site where it was a bit more confusing and the codes were different so I wasn't sure. Steve or Northskier, where did you purchase yours and what was the approximate cost with shipping. Eg. packs of 10 Regards Bill

I get mine via eBay and always buy lots of packets to spread the postage cost. Sellers always seem to give different postage rates and purchase prices so, you need to do the maths to work out per-item price before ordering.

Searches via ebay.com. eBay.com.au and eBay.co.uk sometimes produce different results so try all (note the use of .co instead of .cofor m for UK site).

You need to know the name of the link you are chasing. I think in order of size they are Minilink, Spinlink and Fastlink. I've never tried the Mini but mostly chase non-fussy Australian Salmon with lures so don't need to think about anything other than ability to swap lures fast and handle strain.
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau
Steve R
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Eden and thereabouts
Kayaks: Hurricane Skimmer; Racing TK1 (Mr Tippy).

Postby hillbilly » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:46 pm

I ended up doing the ebay thing and have just ordered a pack of 10 to check them out.
"Trust the research and educate rather than dictate."
hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland

Postby NorthSIKer » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:33 pm

MarkinBrissy wrote:Great post!I have to say i am big fan of the Mustad Fastach size 1.
Have used them for years with never a failure. Used for bread and butter species, 6-10lb line 6-15lb leader.Soft and hard lures.

http://www.wilsonfishing.com/Products/T ... ad-Fastach

Interesting. I have tried a really small similar design years ago and it was really fiddly, a bit bigger ones should be better. There is also a local version up here which is similar but with a full corkscrew / pigs tail.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby hillbilly » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:47 am

Just received my clips. I ordered a small pack of 10 (50lb) to see the size how easy they are to clip on to lure. They seem great although not cheap as postage was similar to small pack price. It took a few weeks too. Can't wait to try them. Tried one on a medium Barra lure.
P1050137.jpeg
P1050136.jpeg
P1050140.jpeg

First time I've ever used the I Pad for KFDU so nice to know what I can do on holidays. Bill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Trust the research and educate rather than dictate."
hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland

Postby Steve R » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:21 am

hillbilly wrote: They seem great although not cheap as postage was similar to small pack price.

Postage does make them expensive when you buy in small lots. Sharp-toothed critters attach the front of your lure potentially cause even more wallet pain. I lost 8 clips in a day to Tailor recently. Obviously, 8 lures as well (fitted with non-standard hook and rings), making it an expensive session.

The more clips you buy, the more the cost of postage spreads. So, for fishaholics who occasionally strike sessions like the above it is worth buying them by the hundred.
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau
Steve R
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Eden and thereabouts
Kayaks: Hurricane Skimmer; Racing TK1 (Mr Tippy).

Postby NorthSIKer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:47 pm

What Steve R said.

If you dare buy by the 100 the cost per clip (incl. postage) is very low.

50lb is pretty heavy? I believe the Tactical Anglers are very good quality - used for game fish. I bought some of there 75lb but way heavier than I will ever need.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby ripas » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:06 am

Ordered a bunch of these clips yesterday - I have difficulty with dexterity (medical issue) particularly fine motor skills such as tying knots etc so will be interested to see if I can use these. I have tried various clips in the past with minimal success.

I had a look at the "bait holder" hooks yesterday for rigging soft plastics as per the photos by the OP however noticed that these hooks have a slight twist in the shank. Is there a preferred hook for rigging your own soft plastics? I did read somewhere that Aberdeen hooks have been used but these only come in limited sizing.
ripas
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Central Qld

Postby NorthSIKer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:17 pm

ripas wrote:I had a look at the "bait holder" hooks yesterday for rigging soft plastics as per the photos by the OP however noticed that these hooks have a slight twist in the shank.

I use the ones with the slight kirbing. Doesn't seem to effect anything so long as the plastic is rigged straight.

I am sure unkirbed baitholder hooks are available somewhere (like that ones DOA Shrimp come with).
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby NorthSIKer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:21 pm

Interesting from this morning - this little emperor took the fly in the clip above the drop shot rig (which happened to have a salted prawn on it intended for grunter).

Fly Dropshot.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby NorthSIKer » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:37 pm

Down to my last 20 or so of each size so just ordered some new ones from the UK. 100 each of the 25lb and 35lb including shipping worked out at about 27c each.

Would be more expensive for smaller amounts.

Should last me the next 5-10 years unless I give heaps more away.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby Ads22 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:41 pm

I have recently bought some and they've already been pretty useful. Appreciate your review NorthSIKer.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 50cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Previous

Return to Tackle Talk