swapping trebles for singles and assit hooks

Discuss fishing tackle related topics here.

swapping trebles for singles and assit hooks

Postby Paulioq » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:11 am

hello have started to troll for flat head this summer (so after I write a heap of crap on the internet to pizz people off lol) I go drag little lures behind my kayak. and has been a lot of fun never use to think it worked till I meet a bloke on the water doing it and had a chat to him about it. so now I'm converted and am working out the code to crack it but have been wondering about swaping the hooks on some of the dinky lures because I have missed a few nice hook ups on pulled hooks that return bent and out off shape. obviously my drag is to tight (2lb on a 8lb rod) and instead of getting a liphook I am hooking on to the bony mouth and as it loads up it pulls the lure out, I will back that off to let the fish run but am wondering about the hooks on like a tango shad50 no worrys with bream and cod etc that I been nailing with them but the hooks look dinky on them and obviously comeing back bent and out of shape.

has any one had any experience or tips for swaping trebles out on small lures. I was thinking of swaping a #10 treble for a #2 single because the gape of the single is slightly smaller then the width of the treble and was going to put it on the back faceing down to minimize seeweed snags wich seem to happen heaps with trebles, I was then going to either leave the treble on the middle or use an assist hook style. I know I got to go out and try it for myself and probably will with some reports after I do but a steer in the right direction or advice would be appreciated cheers
Paulioq
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Wynnum

Re: swapping trebles for singles and assit hooks

Postby Paulioq » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:17 am

forgot to add the hooks on micro mullets seem ok but cant find them anywhere other then on the lure vmc #10 3x strong and the owner hooks in that size are as strong as a wet bit off tissue paper
Paulioq
KFDU Angler

Postby NorthSIKer » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:28 pm

Smallish lures (probably not as small as yours?) that I give to my son to troll on the occasions he comes out. If you can get the fairly small inline singles and avoid the extra rings the weight of the hooks is going to be similar or less than the trebles.

I really like the singles for safety reasons from the yak.

Some lures below

singles.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby Paulioq » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:40 am

cheers for the response was doing some research into the option and like everything fishing its just a case of go and see what happens, went to go buy some assist hooks today gees there expensive like 12$ for 2x double jig assist so I bought the right jig braid and some #2 gamikatsu octopus hooks split rings fly tying vice and bobbin tool and am going to diy my own might do some pics and make a tutorial for those interested. haven't had a chance to go out on the water to see how the hook change affects the lure action yet
Paulioq
KFDU Angler

Postby Gene » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:26 pm

Have done a little research & tie my own trailing hooks. Just tie 2 hooks about 4 - 6 cm apart on about 30lb braid then loop onto rear ring on lure.
I use size 6 or 8 mosquito hooks. Just use one set of hooks on rear ring as they will tangle if you try to add them to the middle ring. They work well on blades and also diving & floating lures. You don't really need the feelers you see on the commercial ZX type hooks.
Gene
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sydney

Postby pdfarrell » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:54 pm

I tried single hooks on micro mullets (rear hook only) and ended up killing a lot of small fish... little bream and trumpeter were getting hooked through the eye sockets.
Not sure why it was happening, but was enough for me to stop using them.

I use single hooks on my slices when chasing tailor and salmon though.. much easier to unhook.

As far as assist hooks go, I use them on nearly all my blades and most of my top water lures.
I find the hook up rate is a lot better. You need to back off the drag and use soft hands, or the hooks can pull.

Cheers,
PF
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught..."

Member of
pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

Postby Paulioq » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:07 am

cheers for the response have done a bit of testing with singles and found a better hook up rate and also pinning it in the corner. I have noticed foul hooking is about the same but I know what you say about hooking a fish in the eye. I have caught stripies only twice as long as a micro mulet by foul hooking them, must have been the hungriest fish in the world.

as for picking right size single to replace the small trebles made sure the gape was a little less then the widest part of a #10 treble and a #2single works great but is about .05g heavyer didn't think this would mater but those little tango shad 50mm notice it greatly so am waiting for some #4 single for them. I was running double hooks on the back of my rmg scorpians (one up one down) no middle hook worked good because they were lighter then the #8 treble on them even improved the action but I did have to reswim the lure and tweek the eye for it to swim straight. great for bream whiting and cod that strike from behind by swimming up to it and engulfing it. but noticed no flathead as they hit from the side and bellow, rod would buckle and run and no hook set so must have gone for the middle am going to do testing with assist hooks next few trips.

gene was going to do mine up like you said just waiting for some goodies to turn up in the post so I can start tieing some up photos up soon
Paulioq
KFDU Angler

Postby davidsanegor » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:01 pm

Tight Lines
David
Deadly Fishing Tackle
https://deadlyfishingtackle.com.au
davidsanegor
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: sydney