Winter footwear

Discuss fishing tackle related topics here.
clutch
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Port Hacking, Cowan Creek (Tailor Salmon Flathead) Upper Nepean (Bass)
Kayaks: Old Town Loon 111 sit in

Winter footwear

#1 Post by clutch » Tue May 22, 2018 11:35 pm

Folks, just wondering what you are wearing on your feet in the yak in winter. Do you use layers? If so, what? Anyone use neoprene surf socks underneath shoes or boots?
Thanks, Clutch
YAK PBs... Flathead 75 cm, Silver Trevally 55 cm, Tailor 50 cm, Australian Salmon 50 cm, Wild Bass 44 cm, Bream 32 cm, Estuary Perch 32 cm, one squid, one pike

pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR
Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

Re: Winter footwear

#2 Post by pdfarrell » Wed May 23, 2018 7:12 am

I wear these in order of layers:
Lovig thermals -> bamboo socks -> Lovig dry pants -> Shimano Evair sandals.

If it's really cold, may throw a pair of tracky dacks on over the thermals, but rarely have too.
IMG_23052018_060521.jpg
Snug as. Used to have a problem with cold feet.
The issue was I was wearing dive boots, which need to be against the skin for them to work (be warm).

Cheers,
PF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught..."

Member of

Tarpon5000
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Everywhere
Kayaks: Aspire 100 , PA14 .

#3 Post by Tarpon5000 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:19 pm

UGG boots for me :lol:
Yak pb's : Bream 48cm, Wild Bass 438mm F , EP 500mm F , Kingfish 80cm, Flathead 80cm, Jewie 61cm ,Salmon 70cm Bronze Whaler 1.5m, Bonito 46cm, Watson Bonito 47cm, Tailor 57cm ,Pinkie 40cm,Trevor 55cm.

Paulioq
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Wynnum
Kayaks: pa14 profiha525

#4 Post by Paulioq » Wed May 23, 2018 7:20 pm

Tarpon5000 wrote:UGG boots for me :lol:
second that but how do you keep them dry while getting in the yak.
bit to old and fat for sharkskin so I like wetsuit boots with either neopreane shorts or a springer suit(under board shorts and t shirt no need to scare the public) and wind proof pants I picked up for cheap of lovig when he had a clearance sale(2xl only woohoo must be only skinny fellers down south). I have a windproof boating jacket for the top and couple of layers like rashie, cotton tshirt, old work shirt jacket. but I don't get wet other then launching. wind proof gear is tops its lite and easy to stow. those lovig dry pants are the best but doesn't get that cold in seq. layers always keep you warm but you have to think of safety incase you fall in so my tip is don't fall in dureing the winter months

Tarpon5000
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Everywhere
Kayaks: Aspire 100 , PA14 .

#5 Post by Tarpon5000 » Thu May 24, 2018 9:23 am

Paulioq wrote:
Tarpon5000 wrote:UGG boots for me :lol:
second that but how do you keep them dry while getting in the yak.
bit to old and fat for sharkskin so I like wetsuit boots with either neopreane shorts or a springer suit(under board shorts and t shirt no need to scare the public) and wind proof pants I picked up for cheap of lovig when he had a clearance sale(2xl only woohoo must be only skinny fellers down south). I have a windproof boating jacket for the top and couple of layers like rashie, cotton tshirt, old work shirt jacket. but I don't get wet other then launching. wind proof gear is tops its lite and easy to stow. those lovig dry pants are the best but doesn't get that cold in seq. layers always keep you warm but you have to think of safety incase you fall in so my tip is don't fall in dureing the winter months

I take my uggs off along with my explorer socks and put water shoes on for launch and exit. i normally keep my clothing quite simple with thermals top and bottom(shorts and fishing shirt) a jumper and if really cold or wet a rain jacket and lovig dry pants.
Yak pb's : Bream 48cm, Wild Bass 438mm F , EP 500mm F , Kingfish 80cm, Flathead 80cm, Jewie 61cm ,Salmon 70cm Bronze Whaler 1.5m, Bonito 46cm, Watson Bonito 47cm, Tailor 57cm ,Pinkie 40cm,Trevor 55cm.

Edstar
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brissy goldy
Kayaks: Stealth splash, hobie outback, Eric's tunny

#6 Post by Edstar » Sun May 27, 2018 5:05 am

Woolen explorer socks or 2, lovig dry pants, and a wetsuit boot 1size bigger on top to fit all those additional layers . May cost a bit but dry feet in winter is priceless. Especially in my situation where my footwell are actually always full of water (not a just for Hobie). Downside is the pants make it hard to chuck a pizz in from a yak
Edstar.

Return to “Tackle Talk”