Survey on bait fishing from a kayak

Discuss fishing tackle related topics here.

Re: Survey on bait fishing from a kayak

Postby Yakyakker » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:54 pm

One thing I must add - if you plan on releasing fish while bait fishing, use circle hooks. They are also the best for staying connected to the fish.

Some say that lure fishing is better for the fish, and it true that a lure is less likely to be gut hooked. But using a lure with 2 sets of treble hooks can also do a lot of damage to a fish compared to a single circle hook, which normally sits neatly in the corner of the fishes mouth.

I still fish for bream, flathead, whiting, trout etc (all estuary and freshwater) with lures only. It's. Big ocean predators like Samson fish, snapper, cobia etc that I chase with bait. 90% of the time with squid heads from squid I caught from previous trips, but also with fillets of silver trevally, yellowtail scad, herring (WA fish) and bit of the frame from the last fish I kept sometimes.
Paul (Tuckers).
Yellow Hobie Adventure 'Achilles II'.
Green Finn 4.25m sit in 'Aaaarrrrr'
http://yakyakker.wordpress.com

I love yaks.
Yakyakker
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Local Fishing Region: Perth

Postby spork » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:51 pm

years ago %90-%95 of my fishing was with bait, and some of the most fun was catching / pumping my own (baits).
When I first got the kayak I was bait fishing for flathead but lure fishing for trout (many waters here are artificial only) and bream (wasn't interested in catching hundreds of little ones).
Then I tried soft plastics for flathead, and found that on average I was catching as many as I had with baits.
Add to that a preference for not attracting sharks when 'yakking at sea, and I haven't used bait from the kayak for 2 years now, with the exception of the odd optomistic small squid liviey on a heavy rod. (optomistic because I am yet to catch anything doing this).
I do still on the odd occasion soak a bait from the bank of an evening when camping by a river, but usually give up on that after a couple of eels.
Free-range fisherman.
spork
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Tasmania
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Outback, Hobie PA 12.

Postby Wombat280 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:06 pm

As they say Lures catch for fisherpersons than fish. Mate has boxes of lures possibly into the thousands of dollars Every shape colour and size on the planet.

I use a mixture of both but must say the bait wins out everytime, especially when the day is slow and the shoulders give out casting and retrieving lures, a bait drifting behind the yak is much easier on the body . Tailor respond well to lures but when on the bite Tailor will eat just about anything you throw in the water. When fishing snags any trip becomes very expensive if you start losing gear like lures at $18.00 ea a bag of hooks for $6.00 makes sense
The rod I use is so old that the name has worn off,it's an early carbon fibre that starts off at 6.0 ft and can be stiffened up to 5ft.6 in The reel is small ,in the 2500 class In my local water I can normally bag out over the day with bream ,whiting, tailor and flatties all while on the drift
If you don't stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front
Wombat280
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Mid North Coast NSW

Postby Brendon » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:26 pm

Interesting topic indeed .
Like a lot of us I imagine I started out on bait and then got the lure bug big time in my mid to late teens rockfishing in WA but always carried mullies for when the lures were not working .
Since becoming a Yakker 4 or 5 years ago I went purely lures until the last 6 months when I have done several trips with YakYakker and saw the success he was having Fishing bait compared to myself fishing SP's .
Having switched to bait in specific situations (fresh squid on snelled circle hooks) my success rate is definitely better as far as dermersal species go.
Having said that the moment I can ditch having nasty smelly bait on my yak and get similar success on SP's and jigs I will be a happy man.
Definitely get more by catch with bait it must be said
I agree with Freewilly in having reservations about the impact of commercial bait collection on fish stocks and people digging up river banks etc .
As far as squid goes apparently local stocks are in good shape here .
As an aside we are having our best Salmon season in decades in Perth and rumour control has it that its because the salmon schools were not targeted by the pro netters on the south coast this year as prices being paid as cray bait and cat food was too low to bother. Lets hope this continues as having big 5kg + salmon schools a few hundred meters from an easy metro launch has been epic.

I also have concerns about leaving softplastics in the environment as well for that matter but will ensure I do the right thing as far as possible by minimising the amount I leave in the ocean .
https://www.instagram.com/brendonchambers/

Shark Sheild courtesy of Steve @ http://www.wildwatersports.com.au/ please support businesses that support KFDU !
Brendon
KFDU Angler

Kayaks: Hobie Revo Hobie Quest Finn Gizmo

Postby ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:41 pm

I found when I first started on lures many years ago I wasn't getting much, but ways seemed to land something on a cheap rod combo with a prawn, then as I got more and more into lures I fishing less and less with bait, even though I always took a frozen packet of prawns with me . Now Im throwing 50-60% of the prawns away at the end my fishing session.
I am now only buying 200 gram bag of prawns and taking 100 grams win me each trip.
I troll or flick for a bit then just find a nice spot drop anchor , beach or use drift chute and throw out some bait on a hook.
I find on typical trip out from 6:30 am till 1pm, I am only using 100grs of prawns on average, so I tend to buy 200 gram packs, take half and leave the rest in the freezer at home.

I do live bait fish and usuall take a yabbie pump of fetch live bait and keep in the Livewell.

I am enjoying drift fishing off shore and live baiting for bigger species e.g, king fish, mulloway , snapper etc.

Sometimes on a slow drift with a live bait set and in the rocket mount , I will still pick up another rod and flick at the same time.

Best of both worlds I guess
ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Midcoast NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Outback

Postby Matt S » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:49 pm

ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs wrote:I found when I first started on lures many years ago I wasn't getting much, but ways seemed to land something on a cheap rod combo with a prawn, then as I got more and more into lures I fishing less and less with bait, even though I always took a frozen packet of prawns with me . Now Im throwing 50-60% of the prawns away at the end my fishing session.
I am now only buying 200 gram bag of prawns and taking 100 grams win me each trip.
I troll or flick for a bit then just find a nice spot drop anchor , beach or use drift chute and throw out some bait on a hook.
I find on typical trip out from 6:30 am till 1pm, I am only using 100grs of prawns on average, so I tend to buy 200 gram packs, take half and leave the rest in the freezer at home.

I do live bait fish and usuall take a yabbie pump of fetch live bait and keep in the Livewell.

I am enjoying drift fishing off shore and live baiting for bigger species e.g, king fish, mulloway , snapper etc.

Sometimes on a slow drift with a live bait set and in the rocket mount , I will still pick up another rod and flick at the same time.

Best of both worlds I guess

check out the local co-op for prawns. I've found that I could buy fresh ones cheaper than bait ones with the benefit of being able to eat whatever was left over (always kept cold). Bit of a non event now (due to mainly targeting offshore these days) for me except for when I hit the local breakwall to get a few bream for the missus.
Insert Signature Here
Matt S
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: port stephens nsw
Kayaks: Stealth Pro Fisha 525

Postby BINNZY » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:54 pm

I am fishing lakes and have found that SP out fish baits 4-1.
I have a bait set up using a bait runner reel with circle hooks whilst I am flicking soft plastics around. On my last trip out I caught 5 flathead and a bream on SPs and took the prawn that was on the bait out fit home with me. Even using live nippers I am having the same catch result but I am continuously baiting hooks as I am loosing bait to small stuff.

I think there is defiantly still a place for bait fishing especially when using live baits.

I have a comp on the first week of August and I am sure I will not be bothering with collecting nippers in 11 degree water on the results I have been having lately.
BINNZY

YAK PB - Bream 35cm, Flathead 90cm, Silver Trevally 43cm, Whiting 34cm, Snapper 37cm, Taylor 46cm, Salmon 58cm.
BINNZY
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: ILLAWARRA
Kayaks: PA12

Postby xnomad » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:07 pm

In the kayak the only bait I use is squid and cuttlefish that I have caught myself. I use them for targeting Kingfish. For everything else I use lures. If I was out purely trying to catch a feed I'd probably use bait but I'm fishing for the fun so I like to cast and retrieve lures, bait fishing is kind of boring and smelly.
The only bait I buy is for land based beach fishing. I'll buy beach worms as it's easier to put down $9 than spend hours trying to get my own, and boy do they make your fingers stink
Kayak PB's: Kingfish 74cm, Bream 37cm, Flathead 42cm, Whiting 29cm, Tailor 27cm
xnomad
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Sydney - Middle Harbour
Kayaks: Hobie Mirage Outback

Postby ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:47 am

I know this is an old thread topic, but was looking back at this one on bait fishing from kayaks
Have to say even after all these years, the quality of discussion and content on bait fishing from KFDU members was really impressive and very much appreciated.
Some days on the odd occasion, I still like to find a nice spot and drop a bait line ( bit old school I know) like I did growing up as a kid.

Bait fishing has been good when fishing inshore targeting the same areas rock fisherman would use ( when the weather is good).

Bones
ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby revolt » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:05 pm

In SA I am after King George so mainly bottom bait fish. Fishing sandy or broken bottom in weedy areas. I use 6ft rod 10lb line. Two hooks one below sinker one above. Size 4 bait keeper hooks. I usually troll a lure behind when moving, Snook,salmon and squid will be taken this way.
revolt
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: adelaide

Postby nigel » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:36 am

If I’m after kings I’ll start by chasing squid if lucky squid strip on circle above an occy lure as a weight if no squid just troll lures these days can’t be bothered with too much messing about.

Nigel
ImageImage
nigel
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: sydney & surrounding areas
Kayaks: dag midway, Cobra expedition , DD3 max ski

Postby Rory222 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:07 pm

I do both. If I want to really relax then I'll drop in the bait and sit back with beer in hand, enjoy the serenity and wait for the fish to come to me. Lure fishing on the other hand is about the challenge, the hunt, the thinking like a fish, the perfect cast and then repeating a thousand times until your shoulder is so sore it can't take anymore. I love both forms and both can be so so rewarding in different ways. I couldn't possibly pick one or the other so I'll keep doing both :grin:
Yak PB's
Murray Cod - 64cm
Yellowbelly - 47cm
Flathead - 91cm
Bream - 42cm
Whiting - 38cm
Tailor - 45cm
Trevally - 43cm
Redfin - 25cm
Blackfish - 34cm
Tarwhine - 36cm
Carp - 74cm
River Blackfish - 15cm
Rory222
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Riverina & Wallis Lake
Kayaks: Hobie Sport (Blue), Hobie PA14 (Dune)

Postby ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:16 am

Sometimes I do a bit of both, but then I have the odd occasion when I am not yak fishing and will set up a deck chair near the waters edge, and throw in a baited line near a boat ramp when its peak busy. Sometimes these peak time periods can be very entertaining while fishing e.g. boat ramp rage / fights, those fail or who have no idea how to handle / launch / recover a boat thus fustrating or annoying other boaties waiting :grr: . Boat ramps at times can be very entertaining.
Glad I own a kayak :wink:
ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby Brendon » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:42 pm

Great topic. Thanks for posting
Having fished with Paul yakyakker for a number of years now I am firmly back in the bait camp at least for Snapper and Sambos .When on a hot snapper bite I always say to myself I will switch to soft plastics after 2 when we have to start releasing them but often have too much fun and forget to switch over.
Almost every other species i am 100 % lure.
https://www.instagram.com/brendonchambers/

Shark Sheild courtesy of Steve @ http://www.wildwatersports.com.au/ please support businesses that support KFDU !
Brendon
KFDU Angler

Kayaks: Hobie Revo Hobie Quest Finn Gizmo

Postby Ozzybass » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:42 am

I feel that I need to put one in for the non-bait crew. I've been yakfishing for 22yrs now and I think I can count on one, max 2 hands the no. of times I've baitfished FROM the kayak. I can remember 2 such occasions. One was when I met a mate when I was yakfishing. He was on the shore baitfishing with live pink nippers. He was just leaving and gave me 4 or 5 nippers he had left. I wasn't having much luck with the bream on the day so I was glad to have them. Off went the lure and I tied on a hook, no sinker. The 4 or 5 nippers resulted in 2 monumental bustoffs and a couple of bream landed. The other time I remember and I must admit I have done this a cupla times, is when I was on a cod stream in the Central West of NSW fishing for cod. For a break, I tied on a hook and some bread crusts from lunch to target the abundant carp that I could see and hear slurping around me. 2 seconds after my first cast, I was dragged screaming & kicking into the nearest tree/snag complex by a big carp and busted off, copping a face full of branches & leaves. 20lb leader too!

For me, similar to the comments by Rory222, lurecasting from a yak is about exploration, casting skill, being in hunting mode. It doesn't necessarily preclude baitfishing, but... :gu: Having said all that, as someone who desperately wants to catch his first ever kingfish, I'll happily use a squid for a better chance of getting one.
Ozzybass
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Native Watercraft Mariner 12.5

PreviousNext

Return to Tackle Talk