Lures for jewfish ?

Discuss fishing tackle related topics here.

Lures for jewfish ?

Postby yak attack » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:49 pm

Gday all,

Next week i am starting my quest to fullfill my yearly goal , This is to catch a jewie from the yak. Do many guys from this site chase them, i see most people are chasing All the other species. I was thinking to start with using soft plastics or hard bodies , any info in regards to lure choice would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to posting my adventures on this site and hope it may also help others with similar goals.

Cheers and tight lines to all :D
yak attack
KFDU Angler

Postby jeffo » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:16 am

a subject close to my heart.

Personally, I think you improve your chances if you use bait (preferrably live bait).

Can't comment on hard bodied lures, but large size SP's 5-6-7 inch should be ok, either stick bait jerk shad style of the large "wobbly tail" type.

Try a few styles & colours & see how you go.

Interested to hear yoru results

Cheers
Jeffo
Yaks: Cobra Explorer /Prowler 13 / Hobie revo

Member: NSW South Coast Kayak Fisho's
jeffo
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: NSW south coast

Postby yak attack » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:35 pm

gday jeffo,

Yeh i was thinking about the four or five inch jerk shads in the berkley power bait or gulp range to start with , will see what results i can get on these and then maybe try the 7 inch gulps. I have caught jewies on live bait before its my favourite way to fish i just hear of so many people catching them on plastics regullarly i thought id give it a go. Should be fun from the yak just moving around fishing structure and holes looking for spots where the jewies might school up. I caught my first jewie last week on plastics but this was land based and now i am hooked however i am a real novice when it comes to lure fishing so exited by the prospect of learning new techniques to hunt the mighty jew.

cheers :D
yak attack
KFDU Angler

Postby spooled » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:14 pm

Ay Yak Attack - Like Jeffo a subject very close to my heart too.

Three days ago I was lucky enough to land a 7kg schoolie off the rocks. See pic: :grin:

Anyway, still haven't lost the jewie virginity off the yak but here's some help off the stinkboat but mostly lure fishing off the rocks.

All you need off the rocks (proven in 2007 with over 15 mulloway landings since August):

Laser Pro 190 Halco in King Brown
Rapala X-Rap SXR-14 in silver blue
6-7" Berkeley Powerbaits in a shad style either mullet or the green/gold

All you need off a boat or yak:

Live bait, fresh squid, a pre new moon night just before you need to switch on the headlamp.

Hope this helps,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,
Dan

Northern NSW
Stealth BFS and Scupper Pro
spooled
KFDU Angler

Postby yak attack » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:39 pm

Hey Dan,

Top fish of the rocks mate. Yeh mostly all my jewies have come from the beach or harbour still cant crack one of the rocks yet.
Those rapala x raps are a top lure all i seem to catch of the rocks with those is sambos and bonnies but. I think slow trolling them at night might be the go from the yak what do you think ? When fishing the stones for jew do you fish day or night, and do you cast out or horizontal with the rock platform. Jewies are my favourite species to catch i just love the look and smell of them straight out of the water.I know a few guys regularly catch jewies spinning of the stones up north but dont hear to much of it from around sydney metro.

thanks for the info mate i hope you get another one soon.

Cheers :D
yak attack
KFDU Angler

Postby Buj » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:48 pm

Awesome Jewie spooled, I can't wait till the day comes when I bring one of those up next to my yak. Must remind myself to get out there more at night this summer and have a crack at them.
Regards,

Buj
Founder / Site Admin

Local Fishing Region: Central Coast NSW
Kayaks: OK Prowler 4.5 Elite, Malibu Mini X

Postby spooled » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:52 pm

yak attack wrote:
Those rapala x raps are a top lure all i seem to catch of the rocks with those is sambos and bonnies but. I think slow trolling them at night might be the go from the yak what do you think ? When fishing the stones for jew do you fish day or night, and do you cast out or horizontal with the rock platform. Jewies are my favourite species to catch i just love the look and smell of them straight out of the water.I know a few guys regularly catch jewies spinning of the stones up north but dont hear to much of it from around sydney metro.

Cheers :D

Ay yak attack! Yep, the X-Rap has earnet its stripes as a top tailor and bonnie producer off the rocks and the yak. If you troll the back of the surf line with the SXR-14 pillie, tailor are almost guaranteed.

I'm not a fan of night yakking. Twilight is good and seems to be the the most predictable turn on time but haven't had a jew hookup on the yak either. I still reckon your best chance for a yak jewie is a livebait: Pike, chopper tailor, yakka, squid or slimey. Drop them 3 turns off the bottom on a weighed bridle rig on a super slow troll.

Off the rocks, I cast in all directions including across the ledge. I used to live in Sydney and after a few years up here I realised that it doesn't really matter where you live, jewie water almost always looks the same and can be predicted around the moon. The good news for the jewie hunter is that the average punter would never pick a hotspot. That's why we always seem to keep things in the dark. :?:
Cheers,
Dan

Northern NSW
Stealth BFS and Scupper Pro
spooled
KFDU Angler

Postby Phoenix » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:44 am

Gold bombers work pretty good too.
Tight lines, Look Cool - Act Cool - Be Cool - Go Elite

OK Prowler Elite - Mango Flame - "Venom"
VHF - channel 17
26cm Bream
45cm Flathead
80cm Mulloway
42cm Snapper/Squire
65cm Tailor
80cm Hairtail
"PB" Spanish Mackerel
120cm Shark
3 kg Sweetlip
Phoenix
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: North NSW Coast
Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Prowler

Postby GRIMMASON » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:27 pm

I do alot of jewie fishing with lures i generally use softs in 4 inch with paddled tails
With the paddled tails it lets out alot of vibration jewies love it they come to investigate
With hard bods i like using killer lures they have a ballbearing which as well sends out plenty of vibrations :grin:
GRIMMASON
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: anywhere

Postby yak attack » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:50 pm

hi tezza,

Yeh i like the killalures as well i got smoked 1 night landbased using it but it is quite a large lure which means you eliminate the majority of the soapies and schoolies around. That is the most popular jewie lure in WA but they catch monster jewies there and heaps of them.

Cheers :grin:
yak attack
KFDU Angler

Postby GRIMMASON » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:23 am

I'm not sure what lure you are using but in the killer lures i only use the 100mm & i get a lot of soapies & bigger
Even with plastics

Cheers Tezza
GRIMMASON
KFDU 1000 Club

Postby yak attack » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:05 pm

hi Tezza,

The lure i use is called a jewie 150 which is a top lure there is probably other lures that killalure make what type do you use ? The 150 is a solid lure.

cheer :D
yak attack
KFDU Angler

Postby GRIMMASON » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:54 pm

Hi yak attack
i use the Jewie 150 off the beaches ,the lure i use in rivers & bays is the Flatz rat or River rat.
Sometime i use the Bounty hunter lures as well have had alot of success

cheers Tezza
GRIMMASON
KFDU 1000 Club

Re: Lures for jewfish ?

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:19 am

Must of mist this thread but anyway, thanks heaps Guys. Some brilliant info here. I'm planning on having a good crack at em around the Georges & PortHacking areas over the next few months for any body that's interested :wink:
Cheers

Dave
Sutherland

Hobie Revolution
Perception Swing
Dave
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Port Hacking/Georges River

Re: Lures for jewfish ?

Postby yak attack » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:28 pm

Gday Dave,

I am thinking about having a night sesion for jewies from the yak in the next couple of weeks or so trying to crack 1 with either softies or hardies should be interseting will let you know when and where when timing is right.

Cheers Micka :D
yak attack
KFDU Angler

Next

Return to Tackle Talk