Ikigun - A Review

Discuss fishing tackle related topics here.

Ikigun - A Review

Postby pdfarrell » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:37 am

Before I start, this thread is not about the best/easiest/cheapest way to dispatch a fish. so lets not head down that path.
I'll also state I have no affiliation with the product or the manufacturer.

I'm rather partial to flathead fillets and as such flatties tend to be the only fish I keep.
They are kept in happily in my live well while on the water, and once back at the launch, they are "brain spiked" with my fillet knife, filleted, skinned and packed into ice sheets in my esky.

Not too long ago, my trusty fillet knife was mutilated by an inferior sharpening product and I had to replace it.
The knife I replaced it with is a little longer and more flexible. This created a problem when trying to brain spike flatties. The knife was too flexible to do the job properly.
Before I reverted to a sharpened screw driver I had a look around the internet to see what else was available.

I came across the "Ikigun". Although I thought it a little gimmicky, I'm never one to shy away from a gadget, so I bit the bullet and invested in one.
Its basically a gun that you retract a blunt spike by pulling a handle, which is released with quite a bit of force when you pull the trigger.

From Ikigun Website: http://www.ikigun.com/
The Ikigun is the latest innovation in recreational fishing enabling fishermen to rapidly & humanely kill their fish using the 'Iki' method.
It is a powerful piece of equipment made from materials selected to withstand the harsh marine environment.

Ikigun.jpg

Ikigun Loaded.jpg

The first thing that stood out to me when picking up the gun was the weight. It looks like a toy but is a solid bit of gear and well put together.
I would not let your kids play with it, and the power of the thing has me almost questioning it's legality.
You could do some real damage with this thing, and I would be very careful with it if using on your yak while on the water.

Underneath the main spike is a small "Aiming Spike". I thought this was a little unnecessary but in practice, it works quite well and the gun is better for having it.
It helps hold the fish still. The retractor handle has a hook on the end, which makes it possible to load the gun on the edge of a cleaning table while you have the fish in the other hand.

Aiming Spike.jpg

Spike.jpg

How does it perform?

Well, I have never seen a fish go from lively to stone cold dead so quickly.
I am totally sold on this thing. The blunt spike has no trouble what so ever penetrating a flathead skull, pulverising the brain in a split second.

Dinner Guests.jpg

While the gun is bloody awesome, a knowledge of fish anatomy is a must for this tool to be effective.
This can be all found here: http://www.ikijime.com/
There are also smartphone apps for quick reference.

Summing up, while its not something everyone would be prepared to fork out for, it is a quality bit of gear that does exactly what it claims to do.

Cheers,
PF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught..."

Member of
pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

Re: Ikigun - A Review

Postby Dodge » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:41 am

pdfarrell wrote:While the gun is bloody awesome, a knowledge of fish anatomy is a must for this tool to be effective.

PF what an interesting tool mate.

Also being another fan of ikijime, agree that knowing the exact spot to piece is so important, and that can be quite challenging on some species. We used the ikijime site a lot when first attempted.
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue
Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

Postby Joely » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:04 am

Does it completely penetrate the fish? What would happen if you were to use it on a slimmer fish such as a flounder? Do you think the force would cause damage to the device as it hit the concrete of the fish cleaning table? Looks great for flathead but wonder how it would perform on fish where you need to spike from the side such as snapper.

Thanks for the review. I'm always looking for ways to make fishing more enjoyable for myself whilst reducing the ethical dilemma for myself and particularly onlookers. I feel we fishermen have an obligation to do our best by the fish and it also protects our interests and keeps us fishing.
Joely
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Lower Hawkesbury
Kayaks: Revo 13

Postby Oldtimer » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:11 am

Thanks for the review Paul.
As it happens I have just decided too, do this to my fish. To do away with a live well, and just have ice in an esky on the yak.
Oldtimer
Club Co-ordinator

Local Fishing Region: Lower Hunter
Kayaks: Hobie revo

Postby pdfarrell » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:21 am

Joely wrote:Does it completely penetrate the fish? What would happen if you were to use it on a slimmer fish such as a flounder? Do you think the force would cause damage to the device as it hit the concrete of the fish cleaning table? Looks great for flathead but wonder how it would perform on fish where you need to spike from the side such as snapper.

There are 3 power settings determined by how far you pull back the spike.
I used it on the highest power setting, and it did completely penetrate the fish.

I have a cutting board in my ute for cleaning fish, as there isn't always a fish cleaning table. I use the board on the tables anyway, as it saves my knife.
They strongly recommend you have a backing board behind your fish. They also sell a fish board/holder thingy.

If you go to their website, http://www.ikigun.com/, they have videos of it being used on different fish, including snapper from the side.
Again, its knowing where to point it...

Cheers,
PF

Member of
pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Postby yaqdoq » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:00 am

My thigh is already wincing in pain :beye: . I know I will penetrate some body part :grin:
Good idea - well thought out but not for someone like me at this stage , not until it is made idiot proof :idiot:
yaqdoq
2012 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: East of Oz
Kayaks: 495 Evo

Postby Green Hornet » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:37 am

Thanks for taking the time to do the write up PD.
Looks like a handy gadget.
I normally use a modified screw driver, but after seeing that thing I might give my nail gun a try :lek:
Green Hornet
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: NSW South Coast Estuaries and Lakes
Kayaks: Outback

Postby coattail rider » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:57 am

ive seen no country for old men.. i might buy one of these for killing....fish
Kayak PBs

Spotted Mack 87cm ,Murray cod 73cm,Trout Cod 35cm, Snapper 65cm, Mangrove Jack 54cm, Kingfish 63cm, Sooty Grunter 40cm, A. salmon 55cm, Bream 38cm, Flathead 70cm, GT 50cm, Jewfish 60cm, Yellowbelly 55cm, Bass 45cm (to the fork), Estuary Perch 41cm, Tailor 62cm, Squid 45cm, Redfin 36cm, Flounder 37cm, Mac Tuna 38cm, Macquarie Perch 33cm, Rainbow trout 47cm, Albatross 75cm (wingspan!)
coattail rider
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Nowra
Kayaks: mini x, revo 13

Postby Grimbo » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:04 pm

Cheers for the write up PF. Ikijime is definitely the way to go for killing most fish for the table.

coattail rider wrote:ive seen no country for old men.. i might buy one of these for killing....fish

:lol: ! That movie almost instantly popped into my head when I saw the pics of the ikigun.
Yak PB's
75cm Carp, 75-80cm Murray Cod, 48cm Yella, 38cm FL Redfin, 31cm FL Bass, 52cm Flathead, 41cm Bream
Grimbo
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Canberra, South Coast
Kayaks: Mad River Adventure 14, 2014 Hobie Outback

Postby Ads22 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:43 pm

Trawling through some old posts and found this one of yours pdf. I like the look of these guns. They look like a spring-loaded version of a captive bolt used for livestock. They are much cheaper, mind you, and no rounds to load! I carry a brain spike with me quite often, especially for barra etc. Interested to know the dimensions of these things. Also interesting to see the board has a 'seat-belt' alas arpie's (Oldtimer's) paddle. A year down the track, are you still using your gun?

On the flathead front, I don't usually spike them, I tend to break their neck. It's a pretty swift procedure, I don't need any tools and they are gone in an instant; then bleed and ice.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 50cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Postby pdfarrell » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:53 pm

Ads22 wrote:A year down the track, are you still using your gun?

Used it the last time I kept a feed of fish, which was probably a couple of months ago.
I tend to only keep flatties, and let them play in the livewell until I get back to the launch.
It then Ikigun -> Fillet -> then into a freezer bag and into an esky wrapped in refreezable ice sheets.

I didn't buy the board, it looked a little gimmicky 9 (as opposed to the gun). I use a dedicated chopping board.

Not sure on dimensions (am at work) but this image gives you an idea...
ADEPT-IKiGUN-_-Product-Image-_-IkiGUN-only.jpg

Cheers,
PF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Member of
pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

Postby Ads22 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:57 pm

pdfarrell wrote:Not sure on dimensions (am at work) but this image gives you an idea...
ADEPT-IKiGUN-_-Product-Image-_-IkiGUN-only.jpg

Cheers,
PF

Highly disappointed that you don't carry this around with you in a holster! :lol: But then, it's not 'murica!

I will rifle (pun intended) through the kids Nerf guns for a similar size weapon, ah... tool, for size comparison to that hand. Any idea of the hand model's glove size?? ha ha j/k
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 50cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Return to Tackle Talk