Saltwater Hardbody Recommendations?

Discuss fishing tackle related topics here.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Saltwater Hardbody Recommendations?

#1 Post by NorthSIKer » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:37 pm

I don't have any hardbody lures in my collection (other than a couple of old tiny freshwater things).

There are a few situations I fish where I think they may be worth a try (specifically some grey mackerel and fingermark situations). So I am seeking members' recommendations on what is working from a kayak.

Wish list is (in a perfect world!):

- For trolling (not casting).
- Roughly 150mm to 200mm long.
- Diving to 3-4m.
- Not sure how fast I will be able to troll with the resistance of one of these things but guessing 2-3.5 knots will be the range (so want something that performs best in this range).
- Floating or suspending.
- Single hooks ideal (otherwise I will change them out).
- Reasonable durability (mainly doesn't get wacked out of tune from a few hits). Not chasing huge stuff - likely range would be 1kg-5kg fish.
- Whilst this is basically defying the laws of physics - less resistance to troll with is better than more (though I won't be trolling the hardbody for long periods).

Thanks in advance.

unsinkable 2
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Toowoomba, Straddie, SEQ
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525, Old Town Vapour 10, Viking 2+1

Re: Saltwater Hardbody Recommendations?

#2 Post by unsinkable 2 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:55 pm

IMO-
150-200mm is definitely too big for the smaller mackerels, and although I'm sure if a fingermark was in the mood they would smash big lures. I'd be looking in the 100-140mm area, if not smaller- when mackies are keyed into small bait you definitely want to be matching the hatch.
If you're set on the floating lures, try a laser pro 120- there are a few different depths to choose from and they're pretty good regarding drag.
If you're willing to go sinking, this opens up the possibility of trolling sinking stickbaits which give bugger all drag and have a few other advantages (can cast like bullets if you see surface feeding fish ahead of you for example). There's a lot of variety to choose from, but they can handle a bit of speed too. Plenty of variety with sizes too- look around and you should be able to find something that suits.
Should give you a start anyway- happy hunting!
PBs
I caught a cobia which could eat the rest except for the mackerel which could also probably eat a lot of the things

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

#3 Post by NorthSIKer » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:21 pm

Thanks unsinkable 2. I didn't realise that the laser pro's would troll at the lower speeds (but internet confirms down to 1 knot). And I guess a bit smaller lure can still take the bigger fish too.

The stickbaits sound good but I really want something that will hold above the bottom if I stop (too snaggy). I do troll big sluggos on heavy jigheads (which would be a little like the stikebait) in situations without the snaggy bottom and have picked up the odd mack on them (unfortunately sharks love them).

fishing addict
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Dohles Rocks
Kayaks: 2.8m dragon kayak now replaced with a viking reload

#4 Post by fishing addict » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:47 am

Being north queensland you cant have lures without a Golden Bomber. Make sure you find the one with good hooks or replace them on one that dosent. I have caught everything from jack, barra and Spanish mackerel on this lure.
To see the difference between having input and being committed look no further than bacon and eggs. The chook has input but the pig is committed.

PB Bass 51cm, Taylor 53cm, bream 51cm, Jewfish 83cm, Flathead 72cm

Brendon
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Perth
Kayaks: Hobie Revo Hobie Quest Finn Gizmo

#5 Post by Brendon » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:02 am

The Halco range as Unsinkable suggested is a great place to start.
I also like that around 100 mm size. I also like Yo Zuri Crystal minnows and Rapalas but they are a bit more pricey.
https://www.instagram.com/brendonchambers/

Shark Sheild courtesy of Steve @ http://www.wildwatersports.com.au/ please support businesses that support KFDU !

Magilla
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Port Macquarie NSW

#6 Post by Magilla » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:33 pm

The Yo Zuri Hydro Magnum in the smallest size in the Blue Mackerel color is a sinking lure (slowly) and has out fished all other lures ( I have hundreds) for me on the smaller sizes of all the mackerel species including Greys. I have also found the larger sizes to be the best for the larger mackerel. They are almost bullet proof and the hooks are good. Good bait will still catch more mackerel.

Astro
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Central Queensland/Whitsundays
Kayaks: Adventure Island

#7 Post by Astro » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:48 pm

why go hardbody when you can go soft?

Tight Lines and Big Fishes...

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

#8 Post by NorthSIKer » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:26 pm

Just back from holidays - thanks for all the suggestions.

Astro, i mainly troll soft plastics (or more saltwater flies now days) and they work well in many situations. I am after the hardbody lures for some occasional, specific situations only.

Astro
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Central Queensland/Whitsundays
Kayaks: Adventure Island

#9 Post by Astro » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:06 am

what situations are you are you considering?

the only time hardbodies go on these days is for depth...i hang a 14/18 cd magnum way out the back...but always have a plastic in close...always...
Tight Lines and Big Fishes...

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

#10 Post by NorthSIKer » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:40 am

Yeah exactly,

I come across situations where fish are holding close to the bottom in snaggy/reefy country. Especially along a contour line or reef edge.

I can pull the odd fish out with casting or drifting plastics but snag a bit plus drift off the narrow action zone pretty quickly so don't have the lure in the zone that much time. Trolling plastics or flies is too high in the water column (get the odd trevally is all) - putting enough weight or trolling slow enough to be near bottom results in snags pretty quick.

A troll with a hardbody along the contour where the fish are seems worth trying go - that way the lure will dive to closer to where the fish are and I can paddle along the line rather than drift off of it.

MrPinkie
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Scarborough, Queensland
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 13

#11 Post by MrPinkie » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:59 am

Hi. When I lived up north I would almost exclusively use Rapala Magnums (especially red head colour) offshore for Tuna, Macks etc. and Gold Bombers in the creeks for Jacks, Barra, Salmon and Fingermark. I tried lots of other hard-body lures which did catch fish, but never really as many as these two lures. Hope that helps.

hijacker
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: sunshine coast
Kayaks: outbak

#12 Post by hijacker » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:53 pm

Halco laser 120 and 190,rapala have some goodies in the 100/120 range,maybe classic lures Dr Evil(seem to work like magic on snapper could be just the thing for fingermark)
It would be worth trying 125/150 halco scorpion in appropiate depth range too

Chopperdog82
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane

#13 Post by Chopperdog82 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:39 pm

Aromic double deep/ shiners. There'll be one in that range about 100mm and deepish diving. They have a great kayak speed trolling action and keenly priced

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

#14 Post by NorthSIKer » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:39 pm

A quick thanks to those that provided some ideas here.

I have run with the Halco Laser Pro 120 DDs. They fit what I was after - well built and well priced. Surprisingly the drag trolling (at 5km-8km/hr) is only marginally greater than a large plastic with a trolling weight. It is great to troll relatively shallow weedy or corally lines and not worry about snags when stopping (the lure floats up). Means I can stop and quickly drop to something on the sounder or flick out the second rod to a bust up without retrieving the main line.

Some reasonable fish being caught though possibly not as productive in sheer numbers as the fly (little white fly trolled in close gets hit by everything!). But I think (more time will tell) that the two big hooks (I have swapped out the trebles to singles) has a better hookup rate on the mackerel - they often snip the ends of the plastics and flies and don't connect.

Only problem so far with trolling these is that I seem to be collecting more dirty grinners than ever and I am still getting plenty of sharks :ang:

Return to “Tackle Talk”