how the f#$% do you pick the right jig head weight

Discuss fishing tackle related topics here.

how the f#$% do you pick the right jig head weight

Postby Paulioq » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:55 pm

gday thought I would start a thread about picking the correct jighead weight for the conditions as I always get this wrong and takes me a while to work out for most of the skinny water fishing I do but through in depth and current and I'm sure my plastics aren't even touching the bottom. for e'g in up to 2 meters of water I would go fo a 4 zman curl tail on a 1/8th weight jighead for a nice slow sink but have been told its too light and 1/6 or 1/4 ounce jighead is better so your more in contact with it but it sinks like a brick. maybe too quickly is my personal opinion but when in the Brisbane river chasing jew and threadies I may be up to 3/8 or 1/2 ounce jig head on the same size 4 inch zman curl tail to get it down the 10-12m need'd in the current. it feels like a brick but anything less just doesn't seem to get down or I cant notice the slack line in the current when it hits the bottom??? any ideas or sugestions will be greatly appreciated.

I tend to combine both the jig head and plastic for casting weight but obviously the plastic is boyant and also have tried using different size zmans on the same weight hook to to entice a bite. is it the thump the tail puts off that attracts the fish so faster sinking gets the tail going more in murky conditions and flashy colours in clearer water so a slower sink to keep it in the fish's face for longer to entice a strike. just cant seem to put it all together with the soft plastics and am trying to improve my game, besides catching the odd flaty on them I'm still not sure if its what I'm doing to entice it or pure axx
Paulioq
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Wynnum

Re: how the f#$% do you pick the right jig head weight

Postby Ozzybass » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:12 pm

Simple answer - you have to pick according to the conditions you're fishing in which may vary day to day or even hour to hour. So you just need to decide quicker if you need to change. I guess that comes from experience.

More - a 1/8th oz jighead is usually heavy enough in shallow water, but if the current is racing it may not be. Coupled with a 4" Zman, which is quite buoyant, it may not be enough in current, but I would say most of the time it would be more than enough. It also depends on what you're chasing. I don't think you can go too heavy if you're after flatties. I like quite light jigheads for bream as I like the slow sink. I go as light as 1/20 or even 1/24th oz for small bream Zmans like 2" Grubz or 2.5" Slimswimz, though I usually prefer 1/16th for the Slimswimz. But that is my preference as I know much more successful bream anglers than me use significantly heavier jigheads for the Slimswimz, like 1/12th or more. Casting on foot for flatties or in deeper water if fishing from a yak, I use qtr oz jigheads.

I have no experience fishing for jews or threadfin in big rivers like the Brisbane R so I can't comment, but would imagine qtr oz would be the minimum.
Ozzybass
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: Australis Bass

Re: how the f#$% do you pick the right jig head weight

Postby Paulioq » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:40 pm

thank you for takeing the time to reply. i did suspect it will take time to learn it just seems to be a very shallow learning curve throwing sp's around for minimal results when I know the fish are there because I am catching them on bait just don't know what all the fuss is about them some times but must admit the strikes on sp's are more agresive then passive bait strikes and is why I am interested in getting more into them. I use 1/20 and 1/16 on 2.5 grubs for good results but haven't managed a bream on them yet :cry: I find current my biggest enemy when throwing jigs around because I don't like to fish that heavy so try to stay to the calmer parts and eddys that form. but I might try to reduce the variables and practice the technique and start working on those 1%ers. I have also found the right reel rod combo imparts a better action and more control over the jig. feel free if any one has anything else to add to the conversation it is good to hear what others are doing
Paulioq
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Wynnum

Return to Tackle Talk