Braid options

Discuss fishing tackle related topics here.

Braid options

Postby Alan79 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:32 pm

Hi all.
I've been using 20lb mono line on my baitcaster since i bought it. I've tried braid on some eggbeater reels i have but don't use that frequently but haven't bought the highest quality braid available. I've spoken to a couple of people who think braid does far better on baitcasters since it has no memory. I've been happy enough with it's performance personally. I tend to not fill the spool to the brim since it did seem to cause a few birdnests when i started using the baitcaster. I'm happy to upgrade if it means I'll get better casting results. But the braids i've used seem to be pretty thick compared to mono and i don't want to reduce the amount of line i have on my reels a lot to gain a small improvement in casting distance. So I thought I'd ask a couple of questions and see what people think.

First question is do people think that braid will improve my fishing experience on the baitcaster?

Secondly, what brand of braid is the thinnest available if I do opt to swap over.
PB Fresh water 115cm longfin Eel, 71cm Eastern Cod, 53cm FW catfish, 42cm Redfin, 25cm Brown trout, 20cm Yellowbelly.
PB Saltwater 96cm shovel nose shark, 45cm Flathead, 42cm stingray
Alan79
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: New England & Northern Tablelands
Kayaks: Glide sit on top

Re: Braid options

Postby rocky » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:05 pm

Hi Alan
I have been useing fireline exceed for a few years without to much trouble, it is a fine braid and much thinner than mono or a lot of other braids in the same breaking strain. It keeps its shape and strength fairly well. There are some better more expensive braids out there but I will be staying with the exceed. Have used it on both spinning reels and bait casters in sizes 1.5kg to 15kg.
Hope this helps.

Cheers & Beers
Rocky
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
Yak PB: Flathead 80cm, Bream 41cm, Whiting 43cm, Tailor 50cm, Tandanus tandanus 52cm, Mullet 40cm, Barramundi 73cm, Snapper 42cm, Barred Grunter (Javelin) 47cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm (more to come one day)
Member of
rocky
Club Co-ordinator

Local Fishing Region: Australia, I could be anywhere or everywhere
Kayaks: Hobie Outback & SWMBO's SUP

Postby Alan79 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:25 pm

rocky wrote:Hi Alan
I have been useing fireline exceed for a few years without to much trouble, it is a fine braid and much thinner than mono or a lot of other braids in the same breaking strain. It keeps its shape and strength fairly well. There are some better more expensive braids out there but I will be staying with the exceed. Have used it on both spinning reels and bait casters in sizes 1.5kg to 15kg.
Hope this helps.

Cheers & Beers
Rocky

Thanks Rocky. I'll see if i can find it locally.
PB Fresh water 115cm longfin Eel, 71cm Eastern Cod, 53cm FW catfish, 42cm Redfin, 25cm Brown trout, 20cm Yellowbelly.
Alan79
KFDU Angler

Postby Paulioq » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:03 pm

I don't use baitcasters and braid usually = lots of knots for me love the light spinning gear. but if your going to get braid look for the stuff that says pe (poly ethaline I think) but there are 2 types dynemea( cotton =natural fibers that rot= lost fish) or the pe stuff which is the better of the 2 and tends to wind knot less. also you want 8 ply it is better for cast retrieve where 4 ply is fine for jigging and bait fishing. get a decent brand like daiwa or suffix both have 8pe strand or 4 strand pe for good price and feels better and more supple then fins or some other expensive braids the best isn't the most expensive.

also braid is thinner for the same weight rating so you should actually get more line on for the same amount you got spooled on now. it can handle 33% drag no worries where mono is 25% so you can run 20lb braid to a couple of meters of 30lb leader with a fg knot run 8lb of drag and you will still pop the leader befor the braid breaks. also biggest tip I can give is rinse your line with fresh water because if you don't the salt and mineral content in the salt water will stay after the water drys and make little crystals that will over time cut the strands and weaken them probably poping when you need it the most.
Paulioq
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Wynnum
Kayaks: pa14 profiha525

Postby slim » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:25 pm

The thinnest i have found is varivas super PEtrout special. My 14 lb is an 8 strand about as thick as 2Lb mono. It is expensive at over 50c a metre. The thinnest locally available is a hybrid line by WTF called Gliss. The biggest trouble when going ultra thin with a baitcaster is if you are using a cheaper reel there can be a gap between the spool and the body allowing thin line to get caught up internally. I haven't had any issues but i am running DC Metaniums and Scorpions
Kayaks are Pandoras Braclets for men.
slim
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: From Coffs to Monduran
Kayaks: Hobie Quest, Outback, Revo and malibu sierra10

Postby Alan79 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:56 am

Paulioq wrote:I don't use baitcasters and braid usually = lots of knots for me love the light spinning gear. but if your going to get braid look for the stuff that says pe (poly ethaline I think) but there are 2 types dynemea( cotton =natural fibers that rot= lost fish) or the pe stuff which is the better of the 2 and tends to wind knot less. also you want 8 ply it is better for cast retrieve where 4 ply is fine for jigging and bait fishing. get a decent brand like daiwa or suffix both have 8pe strand or 4 strand pe for good price and feels better and more supple then fins or some other expensive braids the best isn't the most expensive.

also braid is thinner for the same weight rating so you should actually get more line on for the same amount you got spooled on now. it can handle 33% drag no worries where mono is 25% so you can run 20lb braid to a couple of meters of 30lb leader with a fg knot run 8lb of drag and you will still pop the leader befor the braid breaks. also biggest tip I can give is rinse your line with fresh water because if you don't the salt and mineral content in the salt water will stay after the water drys and make little crystals that will over time cut the strands and weaken them probably poping when you need it the most.

Thanks for your reply. There is a lot of info I didn't know in there to think about. All I really knew about braid was that it's got far less stretch than Mono which supposedly helps hooks set on lure strikes and make your jigging action a bit sharper. I'll steer clear of the dynamea stuff. and make sure I put more effort into rinsing it out after fishing in saltwater too.

slim wrote:The thinnest i have found is varivas super PEtrout special. My 14 lb is an 8 strand about as thick as 2Lb mono. It is expensive at over 50c a metre. The thinnest locally available is a hybrid line by WTF called Gliss. The biggest trouble when going ultra thin with a baitcaster is if you are using a cheaper reel there can be a gap between the spool and the body allowing thin line to get caught up internally. I haven't had any issues but i am running DC Metaniums and Scorpions

We only have two tackle shops where I live, the biggest of them is BCF and neither the Varivas or Gliss is available according to their online catalogue at BCF at least and. The fireline exceed is though and at a reasonable price so I'll check out all the other options tomorrow but it seems like a good option so unless something else jumps out at me I may just go with that. Your reels probably cost more than all my rods' my Kayak and Lure collection combined. My baitcaster is a Promax Interceptor combination and roughly tied with a flyrod I own as the most expensive rods & Reels I've ever bought at $170 each. The gap between the spool and body seems pretty minimal to me on the Promax so I don't think I'll have any issues with line jamming into the gap.
Alan79
KFDU Angler

Postby Green Hornet » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:30 am

If you're still getting the odd birdsnest using mono then stick with the mono for a while because braid is a lot less user friendly.
Once you get your casting down pat, progress to a fused braid like fireline. Its stiffer and much easier to cast with than the woven brands.
Don't fork out a heap of cash on a thin braid until you can cast like a pro.
Green Hornet
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: NSW South Coast Estuaries and Lakes
Kayaks: Outback

Postby slim » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:14 am

BCF will have the gliss. It is cheaper than the fireline. I am a BCF store manager and it is ranged at every store as far as I can see.
Kayaks are Pandoras Braclets for men.
slim
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: From Coffs to Monduran
Kayaks: Hobie Quest, Outback, Revo and malibu sierra10

Postby Paulioq » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:24 pm

Green Hornet wrote: a fused braid like fireline. Its stiffer and much easier to cast with than the woven brands.

didn't know that always wondered why it felt yuk to play with but makes sense I'm an egg beater man, I ventured into bait casters a little while ago to discover the magical world of birds nest's and not those ones in trees either lol was enough for me to stick to what I know. i :love: spinning gear
Paulioq
KFDU Angler

Postby Alan79 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:51 pm

Paulioq wrote:
Green Hornet wrote: a fused braid like fireline. Its stiffer and much easier to cast with than the woven brands.

didn't know that always wondered why it felt yuk to play with but makes sense I'm an egg beater man, I ventured into bait casters a little while ago to discover the magical world of birds nest's and not those ones in trees either lol was enough for me to stick to what I know. i :love: spinning gear

I tried with a baitcaster about 18 to 20 years ago and gave it up due to birdnesting. But with the number of educational videos online these days and probably countless improvements to the reels in the elapsed time i thought i'd give it a go again and I love my baitcaster now. You have a couple more things to learn with them compared to eggbeaters. You have two ways to adjust how quickloy the line rolls off the spool. Once you get that worked out it gets a bit easier. If you let the line out too quickly it's likely to result in birdnests. But even if you adjuist that you still have to learn to time things so that you also use your thumb to slow the spool towards the end of the cast. I've been using one again for a reasonably short time and i can pretty much hit a bucket at varying distances about 4/5 times and usually a poor cast is a much less wayward in general. The only downside to them aside from the learning curve is they're not great for lightweight lures. I get around that by carrying a little telescopic rod with me if I'm targeting fish that will only chase smaller lures. My telescopic rod lives in the glovebox of my car which has been useful when i am on roadtrips. There have been a few times when my stop revive survive routine has turned into an unplanned fishing trip.

Anyway. I went to BCF today and bought some gliss and coupled it with 30lb leader It is incredibly fine and very smooth to the touch. I'll give my reel a clean and oil in the next couple of days and put the braid on when I'm done. I should have a bit of time to try some practice casts in my back yard before I try it out towards the weekend. Hopefully I'll christen the new line with some Cod.
Alan79
KFDU Angler

Postby Paulioq » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:50 pm

one last tip this is for egg beaters but sure same counts for baitcasters, its better to under spool then have filled up to the lip and use about a meter of your leader to tie on to the spool then back to back uni to your braid(do 6 turns on the leader and 10 on the braid and it wont slip)and then wind on your braid, I do all my spools like this and never have a braid slippage problem.

I was almost going to buy one befor christmass so I had something I actually wanted to open under the tree(it was going to be like that arb add but with a reel not a bulbar) and after finding out there for 20lb minimum I decided against it because majority of my fishing is under 20lb unless I'm bait fishing and I got my spingear for that as well.
Paulioq
KFDU Angler

Postby fishing addict » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:13 pm

Heres my experience with a few different types of braid on spin reels, I'll try keep it constructive and helpful.

Berkley fireline exceed crystal.- 4 to 8 pond rated I found to be the best of all and my clear favourite around for a year. past a year I don't know I have never had any problems but the line looks very faded and worn, for the price I just replace it. above 8 pound I find it has way to much memory and my experience goes down hill very fast.

Daiwa j Braid. 15-30 pound (I haven't used any other ratings). Worked very well for about 7months, then I started getting random breaks for no reason. even just casting lures.

Original Fins braid- 10-50 pound. not the best at anything but it does the job and it just lasts. the 50pound is a big favourite of mine and I would not think twice leaving it on my reels for up to 3 years.(I wont leave any other braid on this long). I found the 10 pound stuff best value for money when I wanted 300 yard spools, I was using it to get max distance and fun casting metal slugs north of Townsville for mackerel

Finns evolve braid.-30pound. been using this stuff for about 2-3months so far so good. Casts very well and so far no unexplainable breakages. still to see if it will stand the test of time.
To see the difference between having input and being committed look no further than bacon and eggs. The chook has input but the pig is committed.

PB Bass 51cm, Taylor 53cm, bream 51cm, Jewfish 83cm, Flathead 72cm
fishing addict
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Dohles Rocks
Kayaks: 2.8m dragon kayak now replaced with a viking reload

Postby murd » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:32 pm

Best to buy your braid online as you will save a fortune over what the tackle shops charge, esp on the 500m - 1000m spools. The 8 strand stuff is really thin for its b/s and you can get a shitload on a decent eggbeater reel like a Penn Spinfisher SSV6500 (classic reel!). Best to backup the braid with 50m of similar b/s mono because you will probably not catch a fish that will strip 500m of 30lb braid line from your reel.
murd
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Coffs Northern Beaches
Kayaks: Sprite (SIK), Old Town Loon (SIK), Stealth Fisha 460

Return to Tackle Talk